Home General Discussion

Mods on Steam

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
Thank you Valve. Open Steam for the news.

I've been wanting to try DIPRIP and Zombie Panic
As a part of our continuing efforts to support the MOD community, we will begin hosting selected MODs directly on Steam starting next week. The first five MODs to ship on steam will be Age of Chivalry, D.I.P.R.I.P., Insurgency, Synergy, and Zombie Panic. As always, owners of any Source game will be able to download and play all of these MODs for free.

Once installed, these MODs will appear in your "My Games" list and will receive automatic updates just like other games on Steam. Also, these MODs now take advantage of Steamworks, which provides stat tracking and tighter integration with the Steam community.

We're excited to see MOD developers get wider recognition for the hard work they have done, and we hope to support more MOD teams in the future.

Quick list:

Age of Chivalry features a fast paced first person melee combat system that will take the player to a new level of immersion. Players will be able to take part in sieges, town raids and open war in a story driven game.

D.I.P.R.I.P. is a Half-Life 2 multiplayer total conversion. Gameplay is based on vehicle combat in various post-war environments. Vehicles use multiple weapon mounts which are activated by finding weapons scattered around the battlegrounds.

INSURGENCY: Modern Infantry Combat represents the modern battlefield on the individual and tactical levels.

Synergy is a Half-Life 2 multiplayer modification with multiple gameplay modes, mainly focusing on cooperative play. Get together with friends and fight your way through individual levels or play through campaigns, including Half-Life 2. If you prefer competition, play the Teamplay or Deathmatch game modes.

Zombie Panic: Source is a cooperative survival horror Half-Life 2 Modification, the sequel to the popular Half-Life Modification "Zombie Panic".

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It is indeed a great day :D
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    that is awesome! I love how Valve always takes and active interest and support into the community
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed very good news.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They've done this before though, right? I mean, the original Day of Defeat was on there before they bought them up, or am I remembering things wrong? Either way, this is something I really missed, and it's great that they're finally coming around to it.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah day of defeat was up there, because Valve BOUGHT IT.

This is the first time they've offered mods that they have no role in the development or ownership of.

This represents quite a bit of risk and investment on their behalf. I hope it pays off because it's definitely a move in the right direction, and I'm glad they are making it...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    They've shown tons of mods before. Always have. The difference now is that these select mods are being HOSTED on Steam servers. Big difference. No outside links and crap to deal with. I played Insurgency and the zombie on yesterday, both quite fun. Nice of Valve to keep in touch with the little guys. Afterall, they're the ones that made them BANK by developing CS and DoD.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    And how long will it be before we see "pay for play" mods? Wait, scratch that question. Technically, we already have. I believe "The Ship" was originally a mod that was eventually sold on Steam.

So, how much longer until we see Steam provide mod-makers with the ability to directly supervise the sale and maintenance of their own works? This would essentially make Steam a publishing portal for small developers. I am consistently surprised and pleased by Valve's handling of Steam. They always supported and rewarded the mod community. (They've always been one of the best companies for poaching talent from successful mods) But with this step it seems they intend to fully legitimize mod developers, offering them a publishing outlet to peddle their wares.

Now bedroom programmers and artists will have real monetary incentive to work on their pet projects.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Now bedroom programmers and artists will have real monetary incentive to work on their pet projects.

That didn't seem to stop Audiosurf, GarrysMod etc
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to junkers, who is one of the artists working on Zombie Panic.

-caseyjones
  • [Deleted User]
    So, how much longer until we see Steam provide mod-makers with the ability to directly supervise the sale and maintenance of their own works? This would essentially make Steam a publishing portal for small developers. I am consistently surprised and pleased by Valve's handling of Steam. They always supported and rewarded the mod community. (They've always been one of the best companies for poaching talent from successful mods) But with this step it seems they intend to fully legitimize mod developers, offering them a publishing outlet to peddle their wares.

That could only be even remotely possible if Valve got a cut of every sale and screened every mod to make sure it didn't use any IP or assets or anything owned by anyone but the mod team or Valve. It's not likely.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »
    That could only be even remotely possible if Valve got a cut of every sale and screened every mod to make sure it didn't use any IP or assets or anything owned by anyone but the mod team or Valve. It's not likely.

It's not likely, but it is possible. Especially with how flexible Valve has been in their approach to downloadable content. You are right about the standards, though. Valve would have to release a set list of standards that mod developers would have to abide by. And then they would have to review every submitted mod to make sure that they adhere to those standards. Valve getting a cut wouldn't really be a problem. They already get a cut of commercial titles sold over Steam. I can't really see mod developers complaining about a practice that already applies to commercially supported games.

The proper way to go about this is as such.

1. Valve gets a cut. This is a no brainer, and not really a problem. It's Valve's service, they provide the engine and the commercial outlet, its only fair that they get a cut.

2. Valve charges a flat fee for the submission of pay-for-play mods. (naturally, this would not be required for free-to-play mods) Everytime you submit your mod for consideration, Valve charges you a flat fee to cover their review expenses. If your mod doesn't pass muster, you will have to pay this flat fee again the next time you submit it. This would discourage jokers from spamming Valve with crap mods. There's more incentive to do your own testing and get it right before submitting when money is coming out of your pocket.

3. Make the standards good and hard. The more stringent the standards, the more likely that people will take them seriously. Pay-for-play mods should represent the creme-de-la-creme of the mod scene. They should be polished and regularly supported.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    played a bit of zombie panic attack last night --its a lot fo fun--all sorts of horrible collision shells in places, but its fun -- and the teamwork thing really does pay off. Makes me excited to see what left4dead will be able to pull off with similar teamwork mechanics in place. :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also played some Zombie Panic last night. Well made mod. Definitely lots of team strategy involved. Can get frustrating for new players. It felt like the levels I played on were not enhancing the core gameplay. Lots of time wasted getting lost, and finding the path from one place to another. The match transitions could be improved.

DIPRIP is also a nicely designed mod. It exceeds in satisfying my craving for a vehicular deathmatch game. Nice levels. Steering the vehicles is a bit clunky, but I assume there's a reason for that. I noticed some bugs, but it could have been players hacking.

I'll be playing Age of Chivalry tonight. I hear the melee combat is awesome.
  • Mitch Cosgrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitch Cosgrave polycounter lvl 17
    caseyjones wrote: »
    Congrats to junkers, who is one of the artists working on Zombie Panic.

-caseyjones

Cheers Casey.

The entire Zombie Panic team was working flat out with minimal sleep to get this release out the door, finally we got it all done. It's awesome to know so many people are enjoying these modifications.

I've got to say though, Age of Chivalry is a hell of a lot of fun, sexual innuendo aside, the sword play is great. I'm yet to try the other mods, but I'm sure I will in time.
    It's really good to see valve standing by some of these mods, and promoting them. It was a fantastic bit of news, keeping morale high, and gave us an added bonus to work towards.

Cheers Guys,
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkers: I tried Age of Chivalry, after your recommendation, and I was highly disappointed. Wasn't fun for me at all. Seemed slow paced, clunky, and buggy as hell. I'll try again soon. Perhaps I picked a bad level/server.

Instead, I've been enjoying DIPRIP very much. Only, the latest update from Steam has caused its servers to become laggy. Maybe that will be resolved by tonight. I would like to create a level for it, if I have the time.