Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

female anatomy study

Hey everyone, posting a wip on a female base model. I'm trying to go for a body that has longer legs but still in proportion with a normal human. Not going for an anime body or anything like that. I started this in maya, took it to mudbox and stepped it up 1 level then tweaked it a little. I know the ears and feet are off, but the rest of the body i'm struggling with(not working on the head yet). Any help/comments would be much appreciated.

w_prf.jpg
w_3q.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks like a good start. Besides the most obvious, the feet and ears, one thing that sticks out to me is the crotch area. I see this mistake all the time. There shouldn't be a gap in between the legs like that. Even on a super skinny lady where there may be a gap in the front, the gap is filled by the gluts in the back. So the ham strings should go inward towards the crotch in the back, right up to the gluts where the gap is filled. Hope this makes sense.

Anyways, the upper legs and quad area should probably be bigger to give a more feminine shape. You probably know the toes are too long, but I would make the feet a tad shorter as well.

Oh, and in the side view, it looks like she is off balance a bit. Kind of like she is leaning forward. I would bring the shoulders back more to compensate.

[Edit] On second thought, it could just be a weird perspective angle giving this effect.
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments Brad, had a little time between work breaks to work on the butt and hips, trying to block in the muscles more. The curve in the back of the leg to front knee is still off to me. The butt and hips still also feel off.

fem3.jpg
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start and definatly workable.

3dwomanedit.jpg

Unless you have some really hardcore lensedistortion going on the proportions of your woman are a bit off.

I took the old version, the new one did not look much different and there was no front view.

The ideal greek size of a human is 8 heads, hardly anyone is 8 heads tall, let alone women.
    Your woman looks to be 8.3ish heads. Most women are 7ish to 7,5 heads in proportion.
    As a rule of thumb you can say that first head down is nipple height, then navel, then crotch.
    Usually women have shorter legs then men proportionally as well, however the longest bone in the human body is the upper leg bone, in your version the lower leg looks longer than the upper one, needs to be fixed.

Her neck also is MASSIVE for a woman, so I edited that a bit as well.
    Also the Face looks a bit manly. Here I suggest just looking at lots of photos of naturally beautiful women and comparing their faces to yours. You also have a quite generic face going on.
    Might as well fix that and give her some more personality :)

Agreeing with Brads crit on the hips and such and edited it accordingly.

Keep it up.
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments ptoing, yeah i thought the legs were off but i couldn't figure if it was from below the knee or above it. Used to more of comic book looking people I think.

Looking back at the first pass I think it used to be originally 9 heads...haha. I've been looking at a lot of naked women and noticed that some skinny girls inside thighs touch and some have a decent gap. I think I like the gap look more.

As far as the head i'm not touching that until i can get the body down, it can be a tranny until then. I'll call her Tamali Shemaley.

Do the shoulders also need to be brought in or wider?
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoulders should if anything be brought in a tad
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, guess its time to toss on a filthy old lattice.
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just scanned this (from a very good anatomy book for artists)

woman_schematic.jpg
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, thanks man I appreciate it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    gottfried bammes - die gestalt des menschen

imho one of the best anatomy books outthere
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Yup, that's the one. I think it is only available in German tho, but even if you do not know German, it would be helpful for the pictures in it.
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it a all hand drawing book, or does it use real people for reference?
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are photos of real people in there as well, not too many different models tho.
    The book really nicely describes each segment like "the shoulder", "the neck" and so on. Awesome schematics of the bones and such, and how everything works together. If you know German it is an excellent investment, if you don't know German it's still good.
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonder if you could bablefish enough of it to make sense.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    no way - gottfried bammes uses a somewhat exhausting style of writing, its very technical. non the less one of the most accurate books around...
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update, pulled in the ribs a little and pulled down the crotch area.
    wcrt.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great! I am also modeling a female figure. Bammes is so awesome.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    torso is looking ace, keep it up
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update on the legs.
    legs.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • Janglesworthy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks japhir, after looking at the legs from for awhile i think i have them bowed too much. I'm also running into sputter problems in higher levels in mudbox anyone have any tips on tools settings for smoothing it out? I'm getting stuck in this time trap of trying to smooth out lumps but creating more in process