Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chaos Axe

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Ok, so I've been posting a couple pics in the WYAWO thread, but I'm looking for some help on texturing at this point so I thought I'd make my own thread so that this can get cut up.

It's still WiP. Obviously there are still parts untextured. But I'm not happy with the direction of the pieces that are textured.

I haven't done much for specular other than copy the diffuse and lighten it up. So I definitely understand there needs to be more contrast there.

The reference is the Chaos Axe from Mythic here.
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/conceptart/CAT_0407_09.jpg

The low sits at 3500 tri's down from 4200 from a few days ago. It still might be a bit much but I'm less concerned with a few hundred tri's and more concerned with making it look proper and good.

Half_test1.jpg
Half_low.jpg
Half_test2.jpg
diff_test.jpg

I want it to be noisey but I'm not sure if I'm getting the look I want. Trying to balance the noise with the shine of a forged metal blade...
I'm also not happy with the scratches on the bronze layer. They are too random.
I also think I should add more swirls and spirals to the normal map.
And I still have to paint in those black square divets into the base of the axe heads.

Replies

• Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks very good, but its a "chaos" axe......it looks more like a moon axe or something, cuz a chaos axe would be like spikes and pointly bloody shit. yaknow? just my opinion, doesent looks so..."chaos-y" to me...
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dante1217 wrote: »
    looks very good, but its a "chaos" axe......it looks more like a moon axe or something, cuz a chaos axe would be like spikes and pointly bloody shit. yaknow? just my opinion, doesent looks so..."chaos-y" to me...

Well, it's based on a concept which I linked to and is following the warhammer mythos. Judging from the shapes I would say this is based on the Warhammer Chaos God of Tzeentch, or Slaanesh.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    uhm, the top left curly part is a little too fat and blobby compared to the concept.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Wow!
    Great job keeping the original design. Looks like you got your base textures painted, but now, you really need to dirty it up. Dirty. Scratches, blood, ect. At the moment, its looking too clean.
    Keep it up!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

Kawe: Yeah I knew about a bit of that blobby top area, I was having problems with sub-d modeling of it. It was pinching in really bad spots every time I tried to make it thinner, so I just stuck with this design even though its a bit wider. The modeling aspect won't be changed much at this point, until the textures done anyways I can remap the uvs and textures after its done on new geo if it really ends up being bad.

I'm not sure whether I'm making progress on this thing or not. I finished the blades but I still think its wrong. I mean it looks ok, I think, but I also think I'm just flooding it with light and spec to make it look shiny.

I think I'm gonna go back to the drawing board for some of these metals. I'm happy with the handle area, and I can tollerate the bronze part, but the blades look like poo I think.

progress-1.jpg
    progress2-1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the dirt/rust on the main silver material is just pasted over the shapes, use some AO to mask out exposed areas (the patten esp) and make occluded areas grubbier, will help sell the patterns no-end
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shep. Trying to incorporate those ideas into the next iteration.

I tried to dirty the rust a bit, not sure if that came out too well.

But I cut out the AO on the main rust areas and also masked out the normal map. And painted the normal in a little so the rust would sink in a bit.

Just zoomed in here because I didn't tweak the other metal parts.
    progress3-1.jpg