Home Technical Talk

UV mapping gizmo warping

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello there,

I am unwrapping some geometry and I am having a problem with the planar gizmo. If I align the gizmo to certain axis, and then rotate it for a better fit, the gizmo gets all blown out of proportion and seems to stretch to areas where no polygons even exist. The nature of the gizmo as I know it wont include areas that dont have polygons?

Does unwrapping something that is not aligned to a world-space axis cause this to happen?

Are you typically supposed to only unwrap something that is aligned to the world axis?

uvwarping2kz2.th.jpg

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    I belive you have rotated the model when not being in edit poly mode which cause everything to get crazy.

You have to attach the model to a box, then delete the box and it should fix it.

Good luck!
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rotate the model all the time without being in edit poly mode... can you explain the cause of "get crazy" and what is "get crazy" anyway...?

Once you create a primitive or base, its origin and pivot point should always stay in exactly the same position? Im constantly re-aligning the pivot point, and transforming objects when not in sub-object. Is this a mistake?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait do you mean before you collapse to an Edit Poly? Like do you mean max starts to have issues when you have a non-collapsed primitive with an Edit Poly over top, instead of, straight collapsing the prim into a base of editable poly? Maybe that is my issue?

Does anyone know of the difference between the two options of editing, seemingly in the same way?

I noticed this problem i described below (the UV gizmo thing) happening with an Arc spline as well but cant seem to recreate it right now..

hmm.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    What I meant was that if you rotate a primitive, you will also rotate the pivot.
    This is the reason why the gizmo gets unproportional and skewed. (It's ok if its rotated 90 degrees)

To fix this, create a new primitive like a box, then attach the model to the box (or box to the model? you'll see whats the right one). Thus the model will get a straight and clean pivot as the new primitive!
    This should solve your problem with the gizmo.

I hope this made things clear :)

EDIT

To avoid this in the future, when rotating objects (that aren't 90 degrees), you should convert the object to edit poly and then select the vertexies or faces and rotate. The result will be a rotated object with a straight pivot.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of misinformation there. The problem is not rotating out of sub-object mode, but doing non-uniform scale out of sub-object mode, then rotating. Never do non-u scale unless you're doing it to selected vertices/edges/faces/elements. Or, do it, but immediately reset the transform.

There are two basic ways to reset the transform: 1) the manual way as described above, or 2) use the Reset Xform utility then Collapse the stack (there are many scripts that automate this).