Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Martin Henriksson

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
Its time for me to start applying for internships now so need to get this one completely done this week or so. Comments and crits much appreciated! Want to add some more stuff but dont feel that i want to put my older stuff on there. Hopefully i will manage to add atleast 1 or 2 more pieces during the next 1-2 weeks.

http://www.martinh.se

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice and clean page layout, could do with some quick links to the other pages when looking at a model.

also your handgun seams to have some of the grip texture on the screw heads
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Nice work martin :) but i can't help asking, are u also from the school of very dark enviroments? :P
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work martin :) but i can't help asking, are u also from the school of very dark enviroments? :P

hey, that's my line! :)
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    not the best idea to render (looking at the hk416 gun) a dark object on a black background. I would re render on a mid grey backdrop.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Massbot wrote: »
    not the best idea to render (looking at the hk416 gun) a dark object on a black background. I would re render on a mid grey backdrop.

or just put a radial gradient behind it.. or something like that.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Kawe: haha well it's your turn next :P i think ill post mine later today and I'm from the same school, don't have any environments though :P but i guess i have some dark props and stuff for u to crit away on ;)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    that HK is fantastic!! I agree tho about rendering it on a lighter bg, would look much better i think
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys! Ive updated the page and changed the BG of the pics to grey on the realtime renders. Also fixed the screws on the pistol. Let me know if you find anything else that is bugging you.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Good content on the site, but I think you should spend some more time on the actual presentation of the site itself. Good font and color choices can go a long ways.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going to be creating new pieces allow me to advise you to do something a bit more unique than what you have. To be blunt, the work you have, regardless of the execution, is very boring.

There's nothing there that is going to make your portfolio stand out from every other environment/prop guy's collection of sterile space hallways, crates, dumpsters, etc.

Showing someone who reviews portfolios something that is creative and unique leaves a lasting impression and shows that you can think outside the box.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Even if most of the artwork posted on martins portfolio is looking not so very unique, it still shows that he knows his shit.
    I think the issue is not really about not thinking outside the box, the issue is time I think. Most of the things we've been doing in school the last months have been pretty controlled, so we haven't really had that much time to put into our own ideas.
    That spacestation is one of the best on the site though, since it's so simply made, but still came out really nice.

Keep it up Martin!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i can agree that the stuff might be a little generic. Im happy with my work and the quality of it but it would be nice with atleast 1 piece that sticks out more. Not sure how to deal with that tho since right now we are VERY busy with several things at once (9 week long gameproject, making portfolio site, writing CV/coverletter applying for internship spots since our internship period starts in a month and its part of our education) most of wich needs to be done like NOW ;p I looked at some of my older work but im not really happy with any of it and im afraid it will drag the current work down. Anyway found some old pieces but none of them are done.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to add any of these just to make the site stick out more?

http://martinh.se/face.jpg (this was just a highpoly modelling practice in maya for class so its only about 1 day of work, so not exactly ideal for portfolio)

http://martinh.se/wip1.jpg (start of a landsknecht character, it started with arshlevons basemesh and its not done so again not very nice portfolio piece.

http://martinh.se/slaver.jpg (based of a concept by keith thompson, i actually have a lowpoly with UVs and some test bakes on for this one but its still far from finished AND im not really happy with it as i can do better now)