Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toehead

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
hey all.. haven't posted in a while.. but i whipped up this one this week after work. this is still a work in progress, but i have a idea of what i eventually want.. give him some clothing and weapons.. and i'm really trying to nail my depth maps.. map sizes are 512's.. just got crazybump and i think it's going pretty well.. let me know what ya think.. thanks

miles

toenailsketchesle1.gif

nugscharactersheetyf4.jpg

nugsmaptestus7.jpg

toeheadmaplayoutpx2.gif

Replies

• jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    and in case anybody's interested in wireframes

toeheadwiresld0.gif
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Did you paint a heightmap for the normal map? or just convert the Diffuse in CB into normal?

CB is a powerful program, but do not rely on it to do the texturing for you.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    i used a grayscale map of the diffuse and tweaked the numbers in CB.. wasnt quite sure what i was doin because it was the first time through with it.. suggestions?
  • pixelpusher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, that thing is seriously freakin' me out...
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    jmiles wrote: »
    i used a grayscale map of the diffuse and tweaked the numbers in CB.. wasnt quite sure what i was doin because it was the first time through with it.. suggestions?

It's not good practice to simply grayscale a diffuse and feed it into CB. You'll need an actual height map so that CB can generate an accurate normal map based on that bump data. Though, looking at your diffuse, it wouldn't take much to turn the diffuse into a workable height map since alot of the depressed areas are dark(er) anyway.

You also generated your AO and Displacement maps in CB. Did you also generate the Spec maps in CB? Did you overlay (Multiply) the AO over your Diffuse?

Once again, it looks like CB did the bulk of the texture work for you.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Eraserhead: actually to be honest i dont know how to make a true height map.. from scratch that is.. there was a lot of tweaking i did to the maps i created to get the effect i currently have.. like i actually took them into photoshop and changed what i wanted depending on what surface it is.. currently my knowledge of these things is pretty minimal, since i usually only paint diffuse maps..for instance.. i know that normal maps read light information, i know displacement maps actually give height and form, i know that AO builds up soft subtle shadows, and the light that bounces off a surface is the average between the surface color and the light's color.. what works best and how to do it, still workin on it..

oh yeah yes.. actaully.. when i finished unwrapping my model, i baked out an AO map to put in the diffuse so i could see the shadows better.. but then in CB, i actually created another AO map w/ the surface detail of the diffuse, and plugged it into the self illumination channel of my maps tree... i actaully really like the effect from it.. i think it really solidified the surface, but i have it cranked down to 75% so that some light info still reads on the surface.. tried to make it a subtle balance

it's a trial and error thing at this point.. could you tell me a little about a good process and practice to making my maps? i took a look at your portfollio and you really look like you know what you're talking about.. thanks for the crits

@pixelpusher: haha yeah man i definitely wanted to strike a little fear into people when they saw this.. cute and creepy.

miles
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Why not put a fingerprint pattern over the face to make it more clear what this character is?

When dealing with characters you can't in most cases get away without having a high poly to bake normals from. You should only use CB's normal map as an overlay for small surface details and get your main normal map and your AO map from high poly model.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does this guy have a wrist? or is it forearm attached directly to the hand?

you've lost some of the thick/thin proportions on the legs from the original concept. it just looks like a stump now.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, this is pretty cool. a lot of is great!

i think what it needs is less complexity and more perfection put into whats there. here's my input

you're using too many maps. don't teach youreslf everything at once. i get the feeling that you're adding more components with hope that as you do so, the quality level will be raised. unfortunately, this isn't the case. try using just diffuse, normal and specular maps. in fact, for a start, just work with diffuse and normal. your normal map looks like it was generated in photoshop, and you're trying to compensate for it's flatness by painting lighting into the diffuse map. painting lighting into the diffuse map is cool, and you can get some great styles from it but this is not one of those cases i think. do you have a high poly model? try using zbrush and push some of the forms a little bit more. your normal map could be more punchy, in short.

your diffuse map is ratha flat and the texture you have on it is very simple. haha i hate giving these types of comments because.. you kinda know that already i think but it's just a pain in the ass to hear... so here's the thing:

if you dont want to paint perfect detail and get an immaculate thumbprint on your model, don't. that sounds so goddamn borring that i'd sooner die. BUT

if you put a level of detail into your object, it needs to be precise. don't put in incorrect or sloppy detail. if your'e goign to work on a large, broad level of detail, then make sure your forms, general color and value shifts are right, but don't even bother and put in finger-print detail.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    jmiles wrote: »
    ...... and i'm really trying to nail my depth maps.....

I bet you are.

:p
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ john_warner hey man. thanks a lot.. great comments.. i have a plan to touch up my diffuse for now.. and forget the brodened details..from here on out i think i'll just work with my diffuse.. work on making the details precise.. the color shifts, values, the thumb print, etc.. and take my time with that until it's recognizable and sharp looking.. and i do have a high poly in the works.. in fact.. i created the high poly first and then made the re-topology version of the model you all currently see.. i haven't started the Zbrushing on the high poly model just yet.. because, like you said, i was experimenting with all the maps i could make with crazybump.. and the normal was made in there, as well as the rest.. and i tweaked all the depth information in photoshop, (changing my diffuse to a grayscale and painting black and white values--specific to each depth map) until i got the result i have now.. which, in theory isnt the best way to go about it.. but anyways

the plan is to push the diffuse..

question.. what are proper techniques for pushing the depth of colors (in this case skin) without making it look like there's specularity?.. and i really dont know what it takes to paint believable skin.. mainly what i'm doing so far, for painting the character's skin, is having a dark base color, a mid tone, and a highlight tone.. for crevasses i paint a dark color complimentary to the dark base color.. i also work in dark greens and reds.. and i tend to keep these subtle.. i also add noise and RGB difference clouds in a layer for color variation..

would it be a better idea to push spek highlights into a diffuse texture that wont be layered later with a real spek map?.. i mean this model.. being just shy of 2k polys.. would a spek map even be worth creating?

and for the nomral map.. say, for instance, i didnt sclupt the high poly model, but i wanted to add one.. what would be a good way to go about doing this.. creating a height map.. i mean.. both normal maps and displacement maps go hand in hand right?.. how do you create a height map?

@ rhoymand.. yeah.. thick wrists.. almost pop-eye style thick wrists.. and yeah.. i see what you're saying about the loss of proportions.. when i translated the drawing to the model, i adjusted in the model what i thought to be better proportions, better form.. like kinda changed the model a little as i went.. but i see you're point.. keep the to the likeness...

i recently had a buddy from work come up to me who saw the model and gave me the idea that all of his limbs should be fingers.. jointed like them, the whole nine yards.. which would multiply the creepiness of toehead by about 83

@ laheen... lawl
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    oh.. and the nail on the back of his head, isnt even painted yet.. i just added that recently.. i was gonna paint that along with his accessories.. if anybody was wondering.. :/
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    word!

well again, i really wouldn't wory about a height map. a heightmap is a displacement map, and you really dont need to use that unless you're doing paralax mapping or something like that, I THINK. i dont know for sure, i haven't really worked with that technology. i can tel you one thing for sure -- you don't have to use that here. DEFINATELY you'd want a spec map before a displacement map or anything else.

i think that's pretty cool that you're playing around with crazy bump, trying to see what kind of results you can get. however, if you're looking to put a normal map on this guy, you're not goign to get it to really look high poly without generating it from a high poly model, even if you just take your low poly and sub-divide it (probably not a good idea though)

without any color, displacement, depth, what ever the hell, you should be able to put a normal map on that model and get it too look, form-wise, the way youw ant it to. you shouldn't need to paint any more depth into yoru diffuse map, you shouldn't need a depth map or something like that.. as long as your scene is lit well, the model it's self should look complete with a normal map and nothing else.

at that point, if your model looks flat under reasonable lighting, then you need to edit the model, or work with the normals. displacement maps will do nothing, i'm afraid.

as far as skin, the best thign to do is to get a nice picture of human skin and focus deeply on it. notice the color variations. turn up the saturation in photoshop if you need to to see it all. find out what makes skin look like skin and just paint that.

specular is important for skin. take a look at some of the spec maps that are created for various models. i know you can dig something up. it looks like you're on the right track already, more or less. when ever i work with spec, i put color and intensity in the same map. light blue is powerful, dark blue is subtle. i use a gloss map to control the size of the hit.

i dont see any reason why you can't do this model with --

diffuse
    normal
    spec
    gloss (scaled down)

oh also -- that texture overlay you have everywhere is flatting things out. it's blending all the forms into each other. remember. detail needs to be specific. if you dont know exactly why a pixel should be there, just leave that area blank.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    been thinking really hard for the past couple of days about what i'm going to do for this little one...been getting a bit frustrated and a little burnt out..but thankfully people on these forums spark your creative juices and keep you motivated... i've been looking at some other peoples work here on the forums and checking out UV layouts.. and they gave me some ideas... so i really believe i'm gonna have to lay them out again..initially i thought the layouts were pretty decent.. but they could be better.. and i'm gonna try to figure out how i can hide my seams better.. plus it will make the paint work a whole hell of a lot easier.. the torso and legs were giving me issues..

i also want to work at painting some really sharp details in.. i was talking to a friend today about toehead and she gave me some ideas for different color schemes too.. so i'm gonna play around w/ those ideas.. more work and post tonight... and again all.. thanks for the great comments.. stay tuned
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann wrote: »
    Why not put a fingerprint pattern over the face to make it more clear what this character is?

When dealing with characters you can't in most cases get away without having a high poly to bake normals from. You should only use CB's normal map as an overlay for small surface details and get your main normal map and your AO map from high poly model.
    cuz its a toe....lol

maybe a toeprint tho ^^ xD
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it alot, maybe because it reminds me of Sackboy, and I think he is the next Mario lol...
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hehe.... actually i was inspired by both castle crashers and spore.. i can definitely see the resemblance though.. one of my friends also told me it reminded him of a domokun.. so that's pretty cool...

372684689ad86df24966470ey1.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    toeheadwiresretopologyufv0.gif

did a little retopology work... changed the legs a bit so that they loop a bit nicer..
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    somehow missed this.

creepy as all hell, but I love it. really like how you handled the legs.

his toenails are ridiculously dense compared to the rest of him.

textures need a lot of polish, but that seems to be covered heavily in this thread.

i want an SDK
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    What in the hell were you thinking? This is completely hideous and..

I love it. =)

So you gonna make the nail in the back all yellow and nasty? Ahhh man I can't wait to see this guy finished. Keep it up, I think it's pretty creative. I'm grossed out a bit, but I still like it.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ sectaurs: hehe thanks man.. yeah.. i was thinking the toe's may be a bit much but no body said anything.. but it's a quick fix.. good point on the geo density.. ty ty

miles