Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Alex Robertson, Character Artist (looking for site/work critique)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
http://www.achmedthesnake.com/

hi guys, wanted to post my portfolio and get some comments before i finalize for dispersal
into the studio/employment realm so i'm prepared after graduation....

would appreciate if ya had the free time - any comments/critique on both the site itself
and the contained work - layout presentation, quality etc
the aim of this portfolio, is yes to get a job - mainly in aus......

cheers

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The dark grey text on darker grey is kind of hard to read.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Yup, dont like the font/background colour mix and the font size is kinda too small imo, and that line background you got is annoying when you scroll down, it seems like it flashes (might just be my monitor).

Theres a huge gap on the "home" page that lets you scroll down like 4 pages until it reaches the bottom.

Don't like Times New Roman font on the resume page, personal thing but whatever :p

The rest of the layout/site design looks perfect.
  • Karl Stjernberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karl Stjernberg polycounter lvl 10
    that big, chunky-looking robot is pretty damn awesome!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    As mentioned by others, the dark grey text on the black is too hard to read. Text is very small, even on a modest screen resolution. The last thumbnail doesn't work, which is also the one I was most interested in seeing.

You have nice low-poly work, but you may want to have more "next-gen" art in there, to show you can do good normal maps, spec maps, material shaders, hi-poly work, etc.

Nice, proffesional looking presentation overall. Good luck with the job hunt.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would add more shadows to your difuses on the lowpolys , because right now they are really good , but they seem to be itended for next gen assets , without an ambient oclusion pass.
    just add more shadow to make the shapes get more readibility . The normal mapped asset lack a good texture too , make an ambient oclusion pass to help you out because right now it looks alot unfinished.
    just fix that and you have a killer portfolio ;)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    cheers for spending the time guys -

Yozora/Dekard - the diagonal bckground lines are a tiled like 35x35 pxl so i loooks weird when one scrolls - ill fix that up...as well as the darkness

Karl - thanks!

Eraserhead - thanks for the comments - just wondering, what browser/as well as operating system are you using (as well as display size? 1024?)- cause i've found a great discrepancy between pc and mac brightness....

Johny - cheers, i'll get right on it.