Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Submarine-Game Room

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
My idea.

Basically an advance computer lab room in a submarine.

The purpose of this room is to help start a mission in a video game, basically the room is used to keep important scientific research on an advance computer. There is only one scientist that uses the computer and knows the password to it. Unfortunately the scientist has gone missing !

As you first enter the room you see a broken submarine door thrown on to the floor. Beyond that is the door way, it is filled with a dark red light. The red light represents danger. On the walls are pipes going vertically ( some of the pipes will be modeled, but a majority of them will be made of normal maps and textures). The pipes lead your eyes to see the second door which is closed and untouched. Next to that is a large computer setup with multiple monitors with the words “DANGER” on them. In front of the computer is a chair on its side on the ground. Behind the is a set of stairs (the railing are view able in the concept) there are only three steps. The door is sightly ajar, with light spilling out of it.

There are two main light sources the two on the ceiling, the colour of the lights will be a washed out mustard yellow. There will be red light in the door way, which represent danger .The room will be primarily dark blues tones. The floor is be a metal grey with yellow stripes. The overall feeling is dark, cold, and unwelcoming.

Untitled-1.jpg
And here are some renders.
The final project will have 3 rendered out camera angles.(Last three pics)
(below)

Sub_Render_18.jpg
Sub_Render_17.jpg

Camera angle :
Sub_Render_16.jpg
Sub_Render_15.jpg
Sub_Render_14.jpg

And i've started some texturing.
Sub_Render_19_2.jpg

Replies

• Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
  • dbreak
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak polycounter lvl 10
    I think there still needs to be more detail. There are lots of things you could add in this.. Small things on the wall. etc.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak wrote: »
    I think there still needs to be more detail. There are lots of things you could add in this.. Small things on the wall. etc.

More details/objects will be added in 4sure :)
    update:
    Sub_Render_20_2.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nice texture work on the desk and other props so far, looks great.
    I would suggest at least roughing in the wall and floor texture so you can create objects with a similar color pallete so everything jives nicely, since walls and floor are usually 80% of the screen space.
  • MLinderholm
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    First of all, i like where this is going. Just a few things i would suggest. First a bit more detail (as someone else suggested and you already answered, which makes me saying a bit pointless come to think of it :D ), another thing is the texture of the desk. I'm not sure exactly what you are going for, but it seems very worn down and old for something in a room used to store important scientific research and advanced computers. Keep up the good work.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Being on a ship, things should be secured/anchored to prevent them from tipping over. Im not sure what you were planning to do with the monitors, but i'd suggest attaching them to the wall instead of putting them on the desk.. the fallen over rolling chair seems a bit odd as well because of the aforementioned anchoring..
    The boxes seem a bit out of place as well, im not sure about this but i figure submarines would have a special cargo room? and finally.. do they fit through the doors? they seem a wee big.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'd suggest digging up a lot of ref before digging into the materials.
    Here's some to get you started.
    http://www.gwpda.org/naval/hclaspht.htm
    http://www.mackinnon.org/gato-diagram.html
    You'll notice a lot of metal and not so much char'ed beat up wood. Wood wasn't used that much because if it was wet, it would swell and warp.

With subs every inch of space is used, instead of a desk in the middle of a semi large empty room that desk would be in a tiny area like this. http://www.mackinnon.org/PearlHarbor-Bowfin-YeomanRoom.jpg

Also its going to help if you really dig into the hatches and model them fully, think about seals and overlapping pieces where the hatch needs to fit into the doorway. You have a lot of chances to practice some simple high poly models and bake them into low. Lot of hoses, wires, pipes and misc equipment on the walls.

It looks like you scaled your bipeds to your scene and your scene is pretty big. The thing with biped is that the larger the biped gets the more its proportions change. If you set it to figure mode under structure you can change the size and shape. I suggest going with a biped that's 5'5" -6'2" and switch it to Male not skeleton. With the setting you have now you'll have a crew full of basketball players.

Also give the bipeds fingers, the extra 3-5 inches of visual representation helps get the scale of small objects like nuts, bolts and wires.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    neet! looks like your texturing skills are pretty damn good.

the only thing that i notice about this piece so far is that it doesn't seeemm to have a point of interest. maybe try adding a story and frame it nicely? perhaps an old telephone hanging over the chair, with the head-piece dangled down on the floor? i dunno. i think that would make this thing really interesting.

keep going man, it's great.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    nice texture work on the desk and other props so far, looks great.
    I would suggest at least roughing in the wall and floor texture so you can create objects with a similar color pallete so everything jives nicely, since walls and floor are usually 80% of the screen space.

thanks ! yeah i'll be sure to put a rough impression of my textures on all my objects =. :)
    First of all, i like where this is going. Just a few things i would suggest. First a bit more detail (as someone else suggested and you already answered, which makes me saying a bit pointless come to think of it :D ), another thing is the texture of the desk. I'm not sure exactly what you are going for, but it seems very worn down and old for something in a room used to store important scientific research and advanced computers. Keep up the good work.

yeah, your very right. I noticed i gave the desk a hardcore beat up look, i'll re work the texture on that and more details (objects) will come :)
    Snader wrote: »
    Being on a ship, things should be secured/anchored to prevent them from tipping over. Im not sure what you were planning to do with the monitors, but i'd suggest attaching them to the wall instead of putting them on the desk.. the fallen over rolling chair seems a bit odd as well because of the aforementioned anchoring..
    The boxes seem a bit out of place as well, im not sure about this but i figure submarines would have a special cargo room? and finally.. do they fit through the doors? they seem a wee big.
    The monitors are like a HUD. I'll just gonna leave the rest of the objects the way they are now :)
    Vig wrote: »
    I'd suggest digging up a lot of ref before digging into the materials.
    Here's some to get you started.
    http://www.gwpda.org/naval/hclaspht.htm
    http://www.mackinnon.org/gato-diagram.html
    You'll notice a lot of metal and not so much char'ed beat up wood. Wood wasn't used that much because if it was wet, it would swell and warp.

With subs every inch of space is used, instead of a desk in the middle of a semi large empty room that desk would be in a tiny area like this. http://www.mackinnon.org/PearlHarbor-Bowfin-YeomanRoom.jpg

Also its going to help if you really dig into the hatches and model them fully, think about seals and overlapping pieces where the hatch needs to fit into the doorway. You have a lot of chances to practice some simple high poly models and bake them into low. Lot of hoses, wires, pipes and misc equipment on the walls.

It looks like you scaled your bipeds to your scene and your scene is pretty big. The thing with biped is that the larger the biped gets the more its proportions change. If you set it to figure mode under structure you can change the size and shape. I suggest going with a biped that's 5'5" -6'2" and switch it to Male not skeleton. With the setting you have now you'll have a crew full of basketball players.

Also give the bipeds fingers, the extra 3-5 inches of visual representation helps get the scale of small objects like nuts, bolts and wires.
    Thanks for the advice, i'll keep in mind:)
    neet! looks like your texturing skills are pretty damn good.

the only thing that i notice about this piece so far is that it doesn't seeemm to have a point of interest. maybe try adding a story and frame it nicely? perhaps an old telephone hanging over the chair, with the head-piece dangled down on the floor? i dunno. i think that would make this thing really interesting.

keep going man, it's great.

lol, i'll glad u like my textures (still trying to improve my skills).The story will unfold after a fix the lighting, there will be alot more dark blue and green tons. I'll be compositing this in After Effects , so i
    ll be able to add in some extra effects and colour coorection :)
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    Stairs and cabinet are done.
    Sub_Render_21_1_2.jpg
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    oooooo neat! more plz
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    -Added the Door
    -Fixed Bump/Diffuse Map on Stairs
    Sub_Render_22.jpg
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    its getn pretty monotoned. got plans for color?
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack wrote: »
    its getn pretty monotoned. got plans for color?
    yup, greens and browns are coming soon :)
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    Fixed the Desk (if think it looks alot better then my first attempt)
    Chair was re done as well.
    Im still reducing the overall texture, lowering the grunge/stain layers
    and i'll be colour correcting the 'cube'.
    Sub_Render_23.jpg
  • Proxzee
    KInda surreal without the wall textures.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks like this is progressing niceley. I would reccomend a highpoly for the normal map generation for most objects, you can even just model to the existing texture to get the details to pop in the normal.

get some wall textures on there and itll really help make it feel like a big jump in progress.
    that crate looks a little rushed and could use another go over also, and finally, what is projecting a holo computer thing? given the disarray and general oldness of the current props i dont think it really fits, i would go for like a 1970s comm radio or something, but thats just me.

nice progress man.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Proxzee wrote: »
    KInda surreal without the wall textures.
    Wall textures are coming this friday :)
    looks like this is progressing niceley. I would reccomend a highpoly for the normal map generation for most objects, you can even just model to the existing texture to get the details to pop in the normal.

do you mean i can model on my low poly model ? :poly122:
    I was planning to Crazybump to make some of my normal maps :)
    get some wall textures on there and itll really help make it feel like a big jump in progress.
    that crate looks a little rushed and could use another go over also, and finally, what is projecting a holo computer thing? given the disarray and general oldness of the current props i dont think it really fits, i would go for like a 1970s comm radio or something, but thats just me.

nice progress man.
    the crate will be re worked. i'll post an major update on friday :)
    as for as the objects, i'll just gonna stick with what i have and just try to finish the room :)

small update:
    fine tuned the rust.
    toned down the grunge.
    and the purple thing on the side will be removed on my next post.
    Sub_Render_22_1.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Wow! This is coming along very nicely. Haven't any crits besides whats already been said. Iam going to be watching this thread.:)
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Mistry10 wrote: »

do you mean i can model on my low poly model ? :poly122:
    I was planning to Crazybump to make some of my normal maps :)

I think the feeling is that if the object is uniquely unwrapped there's really no excuse to not have a high poly version to bake from. It generates the proper highlights and cleaner lines.

Something as simple as your cabinets could greatly benefit from the vents, and dials and gauges popping out on a normal map. Which were baked from a high poly version.

I use CB to add things like rust detailing or cracks and other micro details that I'm not good at sculpting directly on a high poly.

Just my thought though, I like the idea of the room!
  • DerekB525
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekB525 polycounter lvl 10
    It looks to me as if you are going for the interior of an older submarine, maybe a diesel engined type from the WWII era? That is where I am basing this off of.

You could possibly save some polys for something else if you take the steps in front of the hatch out. Most submarines, wouldn't have any steps leading to the hatches simply to save room, it also saves weight and even money. If you must have some sort of step, maybe a couple ladder rungs sticking out of the bulkhead.

Here are some good refs of the interior of the USS Cod which was in service during WWII.
    http://www.pbase.com/tremont/usscod
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo wrote: »
    Wow! This is coming along very nicely. Haven't any crits besides whats already been said. Iam going to be watching this thread.:)
    thanks !
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    I think the feeling is that if the object is uniquely unwrapped there's really no excuse to not have a high poly version to bake from. It generates the proper highlights and cleaner lines.

Something as simple as your cabinets could greatly benefit from the vents, and dials and gauges popping out on a normal map. Which were baked from a high poly version.

I use CB to add things like rust detailing or cracks and other micro details that I'm not good at sculpting directly on a high poly.

Just my thought though, I like the idea of the room!
    thanks for the tip, i'll keep in in mind :)
    DerekB525 wrote: »
    It looks to me as if you are going for the interior of an older submarine, maybe a diesel engined type from the WWII era? That is where I am basing this off of.

You could possibly save some polys for something else if you take the steps in front of the hatch out. Most submarines, wouldn't have any steps leading to the hatches simply to save room, it also saves weight and even money. If you must have some sort of step, maybe a couple ladder rungs sticking out of the bulkhead.

Here are some good refs of the interior of the USS Cod which was in service during WWII.
    http://www.pbase.com/tremont/usscod
    thanks for the refs. As for the stairs im gonna leave the objects the way they are, im just gonna push forward and try to finish.

here is the first pass for my wall texture.
    there is much more to add, the black lines represent the pipes.
    lots of objects to fine tune.
    the floor and ceiling will change.
    Sub_Render_25.jpg
    Sub_Render_24.jpg
  • AlexMGD
    this is coming along nicely
    the only thing that I see awkward is the hologram screen.. don't think it makes too much sense when the whole room is old and rusty.. except for that high tech computer.

keep it up dude
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Grunge-tastic! Some nice lighting might make it less noticeable, but the wall needs something more than just grunge like some panels and stuff. all in all looking great. I like the hologram controls! Very cool!
  • Mark Dygert
    Coming along nicely! The ubber grunge is working out pretty well. I'm not too sure about the wires, looks like you painted them on with a script? Which script did you use? If it was SoulBurns Spline painter script you can adjust the Spline steps to space out the verts so you don't get chunky jittery lines. You can also adjust the thickness and do wire bundled with another one of his scrips. Don't forget splines make great pipes and trim!

Use the sweep modifier on a spline for easy trim, you can even sweep a custom shape over the spline.

Keep it up, looking pretty good so far!
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexMGD wrote: »
    this is coming along nicely
    the only thing that I see awkward is the hologram screen.. don't think it makes too much sense when the whole room is old and rusty.. except for that high tech computer.

keep it up dude
    thanks bro. i am agreeing with everyone that the hi tech computer is a bit too much. But i'll just have to learn from my mistakes. As for the computer, im just gonna leave it the way it is and move on. I really want to get into post production mode :poly121:
    Cody wrote: »
    Grunge-tastic! Some nice lighting might make it less noticeable, but the wall needs something more than just grunge like some panels and stuff. all in all looking great. I like the hologram controls! Very cool!
    yeah, i need to learn a lot more about lighting. I added more objects in this post :)
    Vig wrote: »
    Coming along nicely! The ubber grunge is working out pretty well. I'm not too sure about the wires, looks like you painted them on with a script? Which script did you use? If it was SoulBurns Spline painter script you can adjust the Spline steps to space out the verts so you don't get chunky jittery lines. You can also adjust the thickness and do wire bundled with another one of his scrips. Don't forget splines make great pipes and trim!

Use the sweep modifier on a spline for easy trim, you can even sweep a custom shape over the spline.

Keep it up, looking pretty good so far!
    o the wires were just a template for me to i can put in the pipes :) ( the pipes are in this post). thanks for the tips !

update:
    changed the lighting.
    added more objects to the wall.
    the final image will be comp in AE.
    Sub_Render_28.jpg
  • Filbot
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good. Modeling out some of the pipe details would add to it for sure. Might be able to get away with a 3 or 4 sided cylinder just to pop those small electrical pipes off the wall a bit.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    still more work to be done.
    Untitled1.jpg
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hmm cool.. cool.

IMO.... too many stracthes. they seem.. too much, and pointless. also, the scene seems kinda flat. it's a little monocrome. if that digital display was blue, it would help.

also... what's the deal with that display? and this crate, taking up so much room.. i'm not sure what to focus on. i feel like the crate is spilling off the left side of hte image.

this is really close man. IMO if you change around the composition and remove some of that crazy detail (so my eye has a place to rest) this could be cool.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys.
    so im done !
    here are the final 3 shots.
    i'll be learning for my mistakes, and move on to other projects in mind.
    thanks for all your help guys !
    c&c welcomed.
    1.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg