Home Technical Talk

Lightmaps to vertex lighting

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
3devo polycounter lvl 12
Ok so this specifically refers to the port of quake to the DS (http://quake.drunkencoders.com/)

the engine itself creates Vertex lighting based on the original lightmaps that quake itself used.
Problem being that the results are quite fugly.

i'm trying to think of a way to combat this and not produce too much of a preformance hit.

Currently i'm thinking adding more geometry into the map where i want there to be an edge (so lighting is harsh, but result more predictable/controllable). Problem being that will require alot of guestimation and legwork for nice solutions. Also It may not work.

Any Ideas, Suggestions Or Comments?

Any Help is appreciated greatly

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yeah will be a bit of work n tweaking.

you could try to bake a llighting solution to a bitmap an try to match it with this thingie http://www.rpmanager.com/plugins/MapToVColor.htm ... never used it though. but well vertex colours are quite predictable so it wont be too hard to guess where to add some geometry...
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    you can do this in max without plugin
    click me
    Requires techsmith codec
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys but that's not it.
    Specifically i'm looking for any thoughts on how to deal with an engine that does this, with this being to only way to get light in the engine.
    the way i thought of is strait forward but haven't tested so thought i'd ask to se if anyone has better ideas.
    Thanks for the info though.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use kio's method, you should be able to move existing vertices or add new ones below that modifier, and see the vertex color from your existing lightmaps update while you do it.

I don't think you're going to find any kind of automated solution.

Maybe you could write a maxscript to convert the lightmaps into actual lighting, then use the radiosity mesher to add more vertices in high-contrast areas... but then you'd have to decimate that result, which won't be purdy.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo wrote: »
    Currently i'm thinking adding more geometry into the map where i want there to be an edge (so lighting is harsh, but result more predictable/controllable). Problem being that will require alot of guestimation and legwork for nice solutions. Also It may not work.

This is probably your best bet. I'd just go and add the geo/verts by hand. I can think of a couple ways to automate it, but they would be pretty intense, and slow, and would take a lot of guess work and scripting expertise (some sort of image anaylsis routine to determine where the shadows are and then create surfaces from them, etc.). You could also make polygons for the shadows and make them dark/transparent, instead of carving into the actual geo (not sure about DS specs though, which would be better).
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    What steps are you looking to do to reproduce / tweak the lightmaps with the current solution? Can you export both meshes and textures from this engine? If yes, can you export the lighmaps or they arent available in the game as the maps could be computed before even going to the DS version.
    What steps are you looking to do to reproduce / tweak the lightmaps with the current solution?

IE as an example: Export model from game, import in package, add tweak vertices, export, light in engine?