Home General Discussion

Streaming media PC to Xbox360 HALP!

After about 3 hours of trying to set up my PC and 360 for streaming, I GIVE UP. I've tried TVersity and WMP 11 multiple times. TVersity never really worked the way I had hoped from the beginning. WMP 11 actually recognized my 360 at one point, but never again. Now it simply refuses to share any media by freezing when I click the check box to do so (even after uninstalling/reinstalling). I can use Xbox LIVE no problem, but I can't connect to my PC. When I test the media connection on the dashboard it fails to pass the PC Selected test.

My PC is connecting via ethernet to a wireless router with the 360 connected via ethernet. When I setup my router I had to provide a primary and secondary DNS server (took over an hour with tech support), but I believe everything else was set up to be done automatically. Does this matter?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    zune software, it works.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Tversity is pretty cool WHEN it does work. Though the app is so friggin clunky and ugly. I never could get it to work with my router assigning DNS. TVersity would sometimes randomly work and not work. Wouldn't come up for days then magically it worked with no changes to the system or network..

WMP11 NEVER worked.
    Zune worked occasionally when it felt like it.

I can't offer anything but sympathy. :(

If you have a Mac around then get Connect360. It doesn't convert but it streams super well for music and photos and movies in formats taht the 360 can read anyway.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    in the setup blade, one of the options has something about connected computers, remove them all, then go grab windows media connect. it's easy to setup, but if you have any issues with your 360 not seeing it, turn your console off, start sharing in wmc, turn 360 on, go to the media library, and if it doesn't find your computer then, restart sharing while still in the finding computer bit.
    mostly remembered off-hand, but wmc works great for me
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Er.. I'm not sure what all this malarkey is about different app's to share media from your PC to your 360.

I'm running Windows XP, I have an Ethernet line running from my 360 to my router, and thats it.

My PC shows up on the 360 and I can play videos, music, etc. etc. no problem so long as the media is in the 'Shared Documents' folder on my PC.

I think once I had to go to Windows Media Player 11, and ensure the 360 was showing up under the Library > Media Sharing window. But that's because the connection was dropped for some reason. Once I did that, though, it was back up and running in no-time.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get my PC to show up on my 360. I think maybe my network isn't set up properly. I've got things plugged into other things which gives me internet access. I tried setting up a network with file sharing enabled, but that doesn't seem to do anything useful. Maybe it's my router? I DON'T KNOW! You'd think connecting one Microsoft product to another would be easier. shit.

Adam: WMP 11, Media Center, Zune, or some other sharing software is required for a 360 to connect to a PC according to everything I've read (and my 360).
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    When I use TVersity I have to disable the Windows firewall for the Xbox to connect properly. Have you tried that?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I've had great luck with Winamp Remote.

It's pretty straight forward and I don't recall doing anything special aside from checking the xbox sharing option box during setup.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    erik! wrote: »
    I can't get my PC to show up on my 360. I think maybe my network isn't set up properly. I've got things plugged into other things which gives me internet access. I tried setting up a network with file sharing enabled, but that doesn't seem to do anything useful. Maybe it's my router? I DON'T KNOW! You'd think connecting one Microsoft product to another would be easier. shit.

Adam: WMP 11, Media Center, Zune, or some other sharing software is required for a 360 to connect to a PC according to everything I've read (and my 360).

I had it working without any of those, no lie. I installed WM11 to fix a bug of it not connecting once, but I originally just plugged it in and it worked.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i had this problem too for a while. i reinstalled windows because my install was bloated and i had been meaning to do it for a while anyways. This fixed the issue. My guess is it's a registry entry having to do with WMP11, but not sure about that.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Winamp Remote works! Listening to The Black Keys as I type! Thanks for all your help folks. Props to Vailas!