Home Technical Talk

Terminating edge loops - Curved Shape

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
I'm making a wierd shaped object, planning on taking it into mudbox so it's gotta be set up properly for high poly work.

It's an axe-head. Right now it's just a plane but I plan on extruding this shape to create what I need.

But I'm having difficulty modeling it in quads. I've started with a plane and dropped down some lines/loops. The problem is when I get to the small part of the object I've got so many lines going on that when I smooth it it gets bunched up.

I think I know only one way of cutting those lines off, which would be to cut the line in half in a quad and connect one edge to a corner and run the loop around the object horizontally. But then that starts to create more information horizontally and it becomes more difficult to get a nice smooth curve on the blade edge.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of object? I included a screenshot of where I'm working (on the right), and what the object in whole looks like (left). You can see it bunched up at the top with a couple iterations of turbosmooth.

help-1.jpg

Replies