Home Technical Talk

10 Texture Techniques

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
CGSociety just put out a little article with 10 texturing techniques.

Probably not new for a lot, but I certainly learned a couple things.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4678

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Most of those are pretty useful, especially if you're new to texturing.
    Using Layer Masks extensively is something a lot of people don't do, but I think it's becoming more and more popular as people realise how powerful and flexible they are.

One thing I didn't like about his techniques, was advocating using Levels blending layers for creating specular maps. It works in some cases for a quick and generic specular, but a lot of the time you won't get the colours and values you need simply by using an adjustment layer.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I have to admit I skipped this CGSociety feature because the grey bulldozer thing picture in the newsletter I got looked pretty bland and boring. It does have some good pointers, but overall -- and no offense meant to Jeroen -- he is probably not an artist right now that I would want to learn texturing from.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Jeroen (doylle) has some great texture work east, if you head over to his 3d scrap book on game-artist forums.:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some cool stuff, thanks for the link.

Layer masks can be nice, but they can also lead to big file sizes as someone might fill the entire canvas and mask out a tiny part do that a few dozen times and your psd starts to bloat... =/ so like anything use them wisely.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Definately some nice new tips and reminders in there :) Thanks for posting
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    Some cool stuff, thanks for the link.

Layer masks can be nice, but they can also lead to big file sizes as someone might fill the entire canvas and mask out a tiny part do that a few dozen times and your psd starts to bloat... =/ so like anything use them wisely.

but at the same time i find that using layer masks a lot makes you use less layers, since you can always go back into the mask to adjust or paint something rather than adding another layer.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, plus the use of Clipping Masks on layers parented to existing Layer Masks means you don't add any more data, the new layers just inherit the same mask.

Usually I don't tend to worry too much about PSD file size =)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I pdf'd this if anyone wants a copy just shoot me an email. Lot of people noticed that the lettering on the bobcat is backwards as well. :D
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    I pdf'd this if anyone wants a copy just shoot me an email. Lot of people noticed that the lettering on the bobcat is backwards as well. :D

My guess is that the image was flipped horizontally for the purposes of fitting the composition in that header. Notice the lettering is the correct way around in the actual tutorials ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop: any advantage to parenting rather than using a layerset with a mask? I ask because that's what I got used to doing.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not used layer masks. I know how to use them, I have been using PS for a while, but I might start incorporating that in to my work flow.

Nice post!

:thumbup:
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    parenting is pretty powerfull, you can look at it like an automatic layermask for several layers - without it i would have to correct layermasks all the time... actually i lvoe them so much that i want to parent layers on parented layers or parent groups to layers - hope adobe will implement something like that in the future :/
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pea, generally I only use layer sets for "big" groups (like diffuse, normal, spec ... or in some very complex textures i have a few groups inside each main group) ... for the most part I use clipping masks on child layers because I have one layer defining the surface, then just a couple of other layers for overlays/extra painted detail.
    Using a Group for every set of 3-4 layers which need to share a mask seems a bit overkill.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Yeah, plus the use of Clipping Masks on layers parented to existing Layer Masks means you don't add any more data, the new layers just inherit the same mask.

Usually I don't tend to worry too much about PSD file size =)

I'm not saying the masks themselves cause data issues a few hundred gray scale masks wouldn't impact the PSD's size that much. But what they are masking out is still stored in the PSD, even if it extends past the canvas cut off lines.

Example: http://www.vigville.com/forum_images/ExsevisExcess.jpg
    If I'm only going to use the label, I don't need to store the huge image. This particular example goes from 3.02mb to 122.5k when I crop the big image to the canvas size 128x128. I still have a generous area around my mask to work with the size is more manageable.

Now imagine doing that a few dozen times. You're up to 50-80megs. Or imagine doing it just a handful of times on larger textures. If you're using the PSD in 3dsmax or Maya it can cause slow down issues also. The less photo collaging you do, the less chances you have of creating a bloated PSD.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: it does make a lot more sense, but the act of just making a folder has just become second nature. I should make it a habit to use parenting more often.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, good point - I have CTRL-R on "crop", so every now and then if I'm happy with most of a texture I'll just CTRL-A (select all) and CTRL-R (crop). That gets rid of any stuff spilling over borders, but still allows me to use the layer mask as a non-destructive transparency per layer.

Plus it's annoying if you've got Snapping turned on, and you have a layer which extends 5-10 pixels over your document bounds ... dragging other layers around sometimes snaps to that layer instead of the bounds, which is really annoying, so I tend to just crop the document every now and then out of habit :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if I'm working in photoshop with a lot of images, I just select-all and crop every now and again to reduce the filesize. Especially for when loading the psd's directly in max. Large files can take a while to refresh.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    Slum wrote: »
    Yeah, if I'm working in photoshop with a lot of images, I just select-all and crop every now and again to reduce the filesize. Especially for when loading the psd's directly in max. Large files can take a while to refresh.

It took me a few seconds of puzzling out what on earth selecting all and then cropping would do (other than nothing) but once I worked it out, my god what a great tip this is.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya I do the all-crop thing all the time. I use layer masks like crazy too. I know my PSD's are big, but as long as my tgas are of acceptable size I'm ok with it.

Besides, when I go back to edit that texture, or want to make a similar texture, it's always nice to have a PSD with everything separated into easy to deal with layers/groups.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I tried the select all and crop to see what you guys are talking about (with a huge psd file with many layers) and didn't notice a change. But I don't have layer masks in this file.

What does it do???

[edit] never mind, I get it now.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Lets say you have a 1024x1024 psd. You've pulled in some high res layers as overlays (say 3000x2000)

You've got them lined up, and adjusted, but you're only using 1024x1024 out of the middle of that. That whole 3000x2000 image is still part of the photoshop file, even if most of it hangs off the edges where you don't see it.

That's great when you're still working and tweaking stuff, but once you've got some things nailed down, you can select all, and crop, and lose all that extranious data that you didn't really need anyway.