Home Technical Talk

nrml map lighting in unreal 3

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
hey, don't know if anyone's familiar with it but thought i'd ask anyway.

I've got an animated mesh into ue3, thats all running fine but the dynamic (and static) lights aren't showing any normal map info on the character. They show up fine as plain static meshes but not as dynamic meshes.

thing is when you shoot a gun near them the muzzle flash lights them up with their normal map detail, just not otherwise (the diffuse map is definitley showing up, the spec might not be showing up tho).

anyone know whats going on?

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    yeah ue3s weird misch masch between pre calculated and dynamic lighting doesn't work well with normal maps ... i have stopped using them in my maps
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    hey, don't know if anyone's familiar with it but thought i'd ask anyway.

I've got an animated mesh into ue3, thats all running fine but the dynamic (and static) lights aren't showing any normal map info on the character. They show up fine as plain static meshes but not as dynamic meshes.

thing is when you shoot a gun near them the muzzle flash lights them up with their normal map detail, just not otherwise (the diffuse map is definitley showing up, the spec might not be showing up tho).

anyone know whats going on?

I would look carefully at what lighting channels you have set on your lights. Look under LightComponent>LightingChannels. Lights automatically have the 'CompositeDynamic' lighting channel set which should affect lightenvironments but you might also need the 'Dynamic' channel to be included.

But don't go crazy as Dynamic lights can be a huge framerate hit.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    cheers for the replies guys. been trying dynamic lights and it looks like somthings happening its just kinda vague and hidden amongst some crazy shading issues :\

think its getting there tho so thanks again