Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rhino Warrior

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
I've been spamming the WAYWO thread for the last weeks with this one and I think it's time now to create it's own thread. I'm making it for the 3DTotal's lowpoly competition, but the main reason is to build some new portfolio piece.

It is with 7976 triangles, uses 4 1024 maps (two for the body, one for the armor pieces and 1 for the shield/weapon, this last one wasn't really a good choise perhaps), Max viewport screenshot.

I'm not sure yet if the axe and the shield are adding to or hurting the final model, as I didn't had many spare triangles left for those.

Anyway, I'm calling it done (just a couple more fixs I will probably do) but I'm open for critics and suggestions of course.

22ja9.jpg

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good, I really like those armour pieces. Are those highlights on the skulls or paint? Either way it looks a bit bright.
    Those skinny fingers look akward, I'd expect something a bit meatier on a rhino (especially holding such a big axe, cool axe btw). Maybe make the axe handle a bit thinner?
    Nice lighting!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    uhm. I don't know about you but everything seems to be the same color and it makes it look really boring. there is blood and stuff to break it up but it doesn't help much cause everyone's used to seeing blood. mind posting the textures too?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    could be a cool character, dunno. your lighting is in rough shape and you should work on that. looks like you perhaps could use some color variation and a bit more contrast in materials.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the concept, but I agree that the hands don't match the body in terms of 'beefyness' Maybe try a 3 or 4 fingered hand with big gnarly nails on the end of massive fingers, like an evolved hoof-hand? Really great character tho, I can totally see this guy charging ahead in battle!

-N
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Good start. What is killin' it for me is the size of the characters head. Looks way too small. Also, the lighting. Try a different light set up. The map sizes seem a bit large for the detail that I can see. You could probably reduce them and still get the quality of these same screenshots. That being said, I like the shield and his shield belt thing. I like the details in it, especially the skull. However, the shield belt might be a bit too big and is making your character look smaller than he is.

I think you did a good job "dirtying"and "uglying" this guy up with the blood etc. I understand if you want to be done with this, but you could take it further. Do you have wireframe?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Great critics guys, all very true.

I now, looking back to this model, feel that I lost the main focus, and working on this computer that almost couldn't handle photoshop and max open at the same time killed all the fun. I'll rework some points and learnt a lot of stuff with this one...