Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Robot for Critique - First Post

Hey Polycounters!

This is one of my first posts, and my first time showing any of my work here. I have been lurking around for a few months, and I have to say that I am very impressed and humbled with not only the work that is shown on this site (I am truly in awe of the skills floating around here) but the amazingly well written and professional critiques I have read on other threads.

Now, I'm (pretty obviously) not a professional game artist, but in the past few months Ive realized that a career shift into the gaming world is a very exciting concept to me. Up to this point, I have never even tried to do anything low poly... In fact I usually don't call a model done until my computer cant handle the poly count anymore.

Enough intro - Here is the latest of my robots. I started this model years ago purely for fun, and just recently I decided to finish it and get some renders out there to hear what people think. So keeping in mind that this isn't for in-game, or anything other than fun and practice, please tear it apart and let me know what you all think!

*I realized while uploading that the upper arm pistons didn't render for some reason.. oops :P

Modeled in Lightwave, Rendered in Max/Vray
4.7m polys
215 individual parts
Rigged and ready for animation

kropat_bot_01.jpg
kropat_bot_02.jpg
kropat_bot_03.jpg
kropat_bot_04.jpg
kropat_bot_05.jpg

Replies

• Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive modelling and rigging! Shame you're not going to be making a game version, but I can understand why. It would be nice to see it in motion and with textures.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    well hot damn thats nice..
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive modelling and rigging! Shame you're not going to be making a game version, but I can understand why. It would be nice to see it in motion and with textures.

I agree - Ill probably animate it some day, but its pretty unlikely Ill ever texture it (the way I should). Not for lack of desire... I just have about 10 other similar projects in various stages of completion that I need to get to first ;)

-N
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I love all of the techy bits, and it' overall design. My only critique is that for what looks like a warmech it is completely un-armored. All of those pistons and gears would be toast in an assault from enemy weapons.

I'd love to see it in motion.
    Kudos!
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Well, it's defintely an impressive display of some hi poly modeling prowess.....so on a technical level, I'd say it's pretty awesome. As for the design, well,....I'm not quite sure what this thing is or is supposed to do. It's a war machine appearently, but it doesn't really look very dynamic/exciting/functional. Maybe a scene or placing it in some sort of environment/context might help sell it a little more.

Hi res modeling is an in demand skillset in games these days, so you getting a job in games is a definite possibility. Get your texturing skills and surface transfer/normal/occlusion map generation skills in order and you'd probably be good to go......
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if the the metals are like terminator metals? I mean Arnold took a lickin and kept on tickin!!

That would make it look all the more sweet in game! IMO. Imagine watching the bullets fly, the turrets rotating, bullets ricocheting, and being able to see the mechanics behind the beast...that sounds cool!
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Gosh! I remember this! (searching in my inspirations folder)

yay!
    efdbf5e134e05f1c2692bd9066985t.jpg

I still love it, but... what did you polished?
    This piece must be really finished so go on and texture/animate it!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    This kicks serious ass, don't listen to any detractors ( if there are any), this is sheer polygonal
    masturbation and stands on those merits alone!
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! Nice work :)

Looks like it's wearing the equivalent of robot high-heels hehe
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    kicks ass? yes, I think anyone who just opened this thread got some serious ass pains now.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    oooOOOOoOOoOOOO! me likey, lots! wish it was less symetricle, but thats just me nit picking. ur machine must be a beast to host that many polys on a render =) Hope you post your other wips as time goes on.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    christ on a cracker that's badass, well done!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Holy greebles batman!

Nice work.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi wrote: »
    Gosh! I remember this! (searching in my inspirations folder)

yay!

I still love it, but... what did you polished?
    This piece must be really finished so go on and texture/animate it!

Ha, You got me! I knew somebody would have seen the old one. I am honestly flattered that you have one of my old renders in your inspirations folder :)

I abandoned this model right after that old rendering until la couple weeks ago. After a TON of cleanup I put it back together and Voila! Textures... Yeah, probably someday... Just have to find some of that free time stuff :P

-N

-N
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Hi poly robot, HA.

More like engineering marvel :D

I promise you will never see that detailed of a model from me. Lazy? Maybe.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Holy crap just looking at that crashed my computer!

Damn though I don't know how you even imagine that much detail, plus I think if I attempted that my computer would shutdown and refuse to turn back on.

I wanna see it in motion so bad. that would be awesome.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! I would love to see a render with a little spec for shininess.

Polygonal masturbation, indeed.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Thats freaky impressive modeling.
    Slum wrote: »
    Polygonal masturbation, indeed.
    indeed...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's fucking awesome

BUT

for my eyes, it's too busy... like, i'm finding it difficult to see how everything ties together in how it works. you got any plans for it? anything that shows what it does (i know it kills stuff...).

i dunno, i've never been into robots, and i really like this, but it's just difficult for me to follow.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome dude, any chance you could show the rig?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    low poly, 1000 tris STAT.

Nah looks awesome dude, as it was said earlier - its HP masturbation and so what? its great!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah boyy i like it.
    but i will be more imrpessed if you say you used subdivision surfacesfor everything which i highly doubt it. nevertheless is awesome. congrats.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    dear god, you'd need a few generations one after another to rig that awesome monstrosity.....

so get to making BABIES now!
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Nice modeling dude!
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    This is fantastic, but from a presentation point of view, you should add some different materials (nothing too fancy, maybe just some value/temperature changes) to visually separate the forms. It looks like an unrecognizable mass of details, which is cool in it's own way, but it keeps you from being able to easily see what's attached to what to get a sense for how it would move. For mechanical design/concept, that's especially important. Since you say you don't intend to texture it, that should also be a fairly quick and easy alternative. Good stuff
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Glad to see your still making monstrous sci fi stuff, doing what you do best. Welcome to Polycount Nick! :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    wuha.. this looks heavy..
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks crazy, so much to look at I don't know where to start!

I would love to see a quick video of your rig, maybe some movement just so I could see how it would move. I'm having a hard time imagining how it would manouver lol.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks amazing, it would be really cool if it had an armoured shell on it too, just covering some sections.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    it's fucking awesome

BUT

for my eyes, it's too busy... like, i'm finding it difficult to see how everything ties together in how it works. you got any plans for it? anything that shows what it does (i know it kills stuff...).

i dunno, i've never been into robots, and i really like this, but it's just difficult for me to follow.

I agree with this. I love any one part of it, but as a whole it's so busy you can't focus on any one part. It needs some clean, un-busy areas to balance it and focus the eye to the detail.

Also I have a feeling such tiny little feet are going to get driven into the ground under the incredible weight of that thing.

Anyhow, it's a totally bitchin' model, but the overall design could use some tweaks - perhaps some plating that goes over some of the busy parts, etc, to focus the eye onto the really interesting areas.

Textures could probably help differentiate areas a bit, too.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Yea.. a good and quick way to break up the busyness i think would be to change some of the diffuse colors on some of the objects. Like make the guns a gun metal color, the hull or skeleton a different color and say all the pistons or moving joints another. This i think would help people see what is what and how it all works together, cause in your head everything makes sense, its just other people can't see it yet.

but oh yea...
    SKILLS!!!

P.S. Keep this up and you could be free from that little Napoleon and be working on the next Mech assault game in no time;-)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    in awe. :poly121:
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid wrote: »
    ... well,....I'm not quite sure what this thing is or is supposed to do. It's a war machine appearently, but it doesn't really look very dynamic/exciting/functional. Maybe a scene or placing it in some sort of environment/context might help sell it a little more.

Hey, thanks for the critique - sorry for taking so long to respond. I agree completely - if I was looking at this for the first time, I probably wouldn't know what it was for either. I really should have explained in my description better my vision..

As I was building this guy, I was going off a series of drawings I did about a rogue machine city - post WW3. 2 of these robots would stand guard at the outer gates of the city. The massive optics and large weapons allow the bot to rain death (artillery style) on any trespassers the second they are within visual range. Combined with auxiliary sensors, these sentry's could probably even lob ordnance over the horizon line, taking out enemy's before they even get within line of site of the city.This long-range attack style, and limited mobility is the reason for the minimal armor, and the lack of maneuverability.

If I ever finish it, they will have tethers attached to them, providing the power they would need. The great response I have received here has really got me interested in working on this again, hopefully Ill have an update soon!

-N
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    Keep this up and you could be free from that little Napoleon and be working on the next Mech assault game in no time;-)

Its been so long I cant even imagine being able to work without a little spaz screwing up my every move.... Sounds dreamlike! Does your time working here seem more like a bad dream, or a past traumatic event from your perspective? :P

-N
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to be here, and to see your still around also Marisa! Stand by, more insanity in the works....
  • J533Hale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow, that's an amazing robot! Very high-tech looking. I'd hate to be the guy rigging it though.