Home Technical Talk

3ds max viewport issue

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello there, These are probably easy answers, but i'm a self taught noob. Woot!

ok so, 2 questions SVP;

1. Why, when i select an object in my viewport (full screen ortho) it zooms in a great deal and changes to Perspective view? I want the viewport to remain in ortho until i tell it to change myself... Is there a way to lock the view but still have it open to hot key changes?

2. When ever i change views, from Perspective to ortho or ortho front, side ect, the viewport always zooms in to the location: 0,0,0 in 3d space. Is there a way for my viewport to change view according to the currently selected object? IE: i have mountains and a lake. the lake is at 0,0,0 on the grid but im working miles away on some rock in the mountains, i want to change view so i go to side view and im taken and zoomed back to 0,0,0 at the lake and have to navigate all the way back to the rocks... in the view i changed to.

I dont believe pro's work like this, can you help?

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Mechadus
    sounds like there is something wrong with your copy of MAX... I have the occasional viewport glitch, but never anything like that. Might be worth trying to reinstall.

-N
  • Eric Chadwick
    1. Never seen this, weird.

2. There are scripts that save the settings for each view, or you could simply bind the Zoom Extents Selected to a hotkey and hit that after switching, or you could make your own script for each view that switches and zooms all in one keypress.

A couple possibilities...
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/srv
    http://www.rodneyolmos.com/downloads/tools.htm#Viewport
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've never had either of these things happen. What version of Max are you using?
    I know they added the "Viewcube" stuff to Max 2009, I have a suspicion that might be causing it if you're using 2009, there should be some way to disable the Viewcube.

I've never heard of or seen anything like that happening in 3dsmax in version 2008 or previous.
  • Eric Chadwick
    When you hit any of the default hotkeys T or F or B they point you at the world center, they don't remember their last position.

Autodesk added a "Save Active View" function, but it requires you to explicitly save the view before you leave it, then explicitly load that save if you want it again. Cheap.
  • Mark Dygert
    Sounds to me like you have something running in the background that's causing the trouble.

"I don't have anything running in the background tho!?"

People are always amazed at the crap that sneaks on their systems. Pop into task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and scan down the list of processes. Google anything you don't recognize and shut down the stuff that doesn't need to be running.

I bet its some crazy mutli-media keyboard software, a joystick that's plugged in but not being used or some ancient tablet driver.

As always, check for software updates for your tablet and video card.

Also try switching 3dsmax to run in another mode like software or openGL. Customize > Preferences > Viewports Tab > Choose Driver.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, wow thanks for all the posts,

Funny there are so many posts on this board daily that this went out of my "new posts" so fast, i didnt see any of your responses, then by google'ing my problem again, i found my own post... jesus.... i guess this problem is mine alone...

@Echadwick: ok ill try those scripts but I have a feeling it can work like the other versions without having to viewport script tha byatch. thanks for your support, ill bookmark these for viewport improvements!

@MOP ok, Ya im a Design 2009 user... I havent touched that freakin viewcube, i think you are probably right, ill investigate my manual more regarding this cube... maybe it has something to do with this...

@VIG: ya i have a billion things running in the background always, and im on a SFF PC with a SFF Geforce8600GT i use Guru 3d and Omega drivers usually but they both have issues with my SFF card......I also just tried to get FX shaders going using some of the posts that are going round, so DXSDK and the CGtoolkit ect ect all this stuff i have no idea how to use, and have no business installing i guess... so maybe its that kind of stuff not sure if it runs in the background or what, only when i use a DXmaterial?... but ill try switching my driver to OPenGL away from the DX? i think thats right... ok! ya just changed it... well, thanks for the help... Also im not sure if you guys use this Razor stuff but a while ago i installed that illuminated gaming keyboard, the one before the Tarantula. MAN, what a piece of junk! and support was soooo lame. That company is the worst worst wooorrst! anyway the driver wont un-install and now that you mention it, maybe I should get down to brass tax and reg-edit that crap outta my life... i left that 80$ keyboard down in my buildings dumpster area with the broken teapots and stained beer sleeves... (im back on a 9$ board and couldnt be happier.)

reinstalling max... hmm i think ill try everything else first... it takes too long to load everyday, nevermind re-install - I'd rather re-image my PC, its faster.
    2009 is heavy with stuff i dont need i think... Oh well thats what i deserve for not sticking with 2008 when it wasnt broke to begin with... i just really wanted those photoshop composite type layer system...(so what if i havent used it yet!)

Thanks again everyone, Ive been reading your board for months.. its better than school!

Micro!
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, looks like MOP wins this round, I changed viewcube from perspective to ortho, so it seems to have been solved. but im still weary that it will switch anytime... But Vig as usual everything you said rings true in general...
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Rename AutoCamMax.gup to AutoCamMax.gup.back to get rid of it if you want.
  • MattW
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    It's an issue with max2009, look for the service pack. it's the worst when you're trying to create an object and it switches to perspective.