Home Technical Talk

Polypaint hue adjustment?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
Is there any way to do brightness/contrast or any type of adjustment to the colors you've painted onto a model with Polypaint other than exporting and bringing it into PS? Basically I think I painted the colors too dark on my character and I'd like to lighten them in Zbrush without having to do a bunch of exporting and whatnot.

Replies

• fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Adjustments Subpalette in Render tab.

"Adjustments allow you to make color corrections to the final render without permanently altering it. The four curves at the bottom of this subpalette are, respectively, the RGB Level, Red Level, Green Level, and Blue Level adjustment curves "

If you re baking the polypaint after tweaking those values it will bake with the corrected colors.
    Not sure if you can tweak levels there tho. Not having Z in front of me (yay internet cafes)
    IIRC it should work.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot! Now I just need to figure out how to do everything else :D
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Eyup. Sorry for the resurrection, but this thread pops up every time I try and search for a solution.

Other than baking out and tweaking, are there still no controls to modify your polypaint? I can get the desired result with small changes in the render adjustments as fr0gg1e mentioned above, but unless I'm missing something, this doesn't bake and is purely a screen overlay effect.

The only method I've found that can work is storing multiple views for ZAppLink, editing each layer/view in PS with the same settings and bringing it back for ZBrush to project.

I'm amazed that Pixologic haven't added the ability to hue shift, change brightness, etc. of polypaint yet.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    afaik no overall hue adjustment tools. However you can use the brush polypint modes to modify color -brush-alpha and texture-polpaint mode slider.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Monophobe wrote: »
    The only method I've found that can work is storing multiple views for ZAppLink, editing each layer/view in PS with the same settings and bringing it back for ZBrush to project.

I'm amazed that Pixologic haven't added the ability to hue shift, change brightness, etc. of polypaint yet.
    Hmm, you can improve a bit this technique by only using 1 views in zAppLink (to see what adjustment you want to do) and then bake your poly in a texture (with quick generated UVs) and then rebake the texture in the Polypaint once you will have adjusted it in photoshop.

Anyway, I don't any other workaround for this.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Froyok wrote: »
    Hmm, you can improve a bit this technique by only using 1 views in zAppLink (to see what adjustment you want to do) and then bake your poly in a texture (with quick generated UVs) and then rebake the texture in the Polypaint once you will have adjusted it in photoshop.

Anyway, I don't any other workaround for this.

Hence why I said:
    Other than baking out and tweaking....

But you're right, atleast using ZApplink first to preview it with the material/shading on, I can then copy my adjustment layers to my baked polypaint and reapply it from the texture.

Cheers :)
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea this has always irritated me. I usually use the Zapplink trick.

Sometimes I will set my RGB value really low, like 5, and then fill the entire model slowly towards the hue I want. It washes out all the other painting tho. If you only need a little adjustment or if you are not too far along with the details it might be ok. You can do the same trick with filling a layer and lowering the intensity then baking it down.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    What about the Polypaint Pallet options? IIRC, setting PP to 1 = Standard Colors, PP2 = Burn, PP3 = Dodge, etc...

Unless I missed something, you can do all of those basic stuffs like Darken/Lighten colors.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that is what Dan was mentioning. That requires brushing. I think the OP wanted something like a Hue/Sat or Levels slider in PS.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You can probably use the BPR Filter on a flattened mesh/UV Morph, export the document and apply it back that way. It's certainly not as quick as just being able to adjust a slider and be done with it. It's probably not even quicker than photoshop thanks to GoZ/Zapplink.
  • fimachado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fimachado polycounter lvl 2
    It's been a few years since the last forum post. I'm new to using zbrush...does the new version have anything in it now that allows you to quickly change hue, or the saturation of the polypaint like you can in photoshop? I'm asking because im trying to cut down on the step of having to take a texture map into photoshop and adjust if i can stay in zbrush.