Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Pentact-art

Pentact-Art.com

Hey guys. Please critique my website or anything that you see on the website and I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to load the site, but it took way too long so I bailed. Who are you hosting with?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya same thing here. I let it hang for a few minutes... nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    It loaded up fine for me.

I'll just crit the presentation.

- The thumbnails could be about twice as big without messing up the layout, and they would be easier to see.
    - The flash off to the right is constantly moving, which is sort of irritating, to me at least; but more importantly, it draws attention away from your work.
    - The presentation of each piece is kind of all over the place, and a lot of them aren't very efficient. The first one, for instance, has text going directly over the models, which are already small to begin with; and you're showing your 1024 maps at around 256. In the one for the female character, there are multiple views of part of her, but there's no image of the full figure except for the concept, which implies that the rest of it isn't finished. There are similar issues with the presentation of the other pieces (using concept art as a background, which makes the image look cluttered; or providing additional views that are too small to show any additional detail.)
    - In the text on the front page, you're referring to yourself in the third person.
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Fly. I'm not really sure why the website takes a while to load for some, but majority who's seen it loads just fine. Maybe it has that flash on the right, but that was just something that I added to try something different but it's always replaceable or not needed.

The female is actually done but it's a bit of an old piece that I actually don't have anymore that I wish I could edit.

I see what you mean by my model sheets. I sorta based them off from a colleague I knew but it doesn't look like it is the best approach.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i bailed too.. took a few minutes to load one image
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Loads fine for me.

I agree with fly_soup's comments, but I'll reiterate some observations for the sake of redundancy.

Overall I like the site design, but:

- Thumbnails are too small. Also, I think you should invert the roll-over effect; make the thumbnails appear with color and turn B&W on the roll-over.

- Please remove the flash banner on the right, it's incredibly distracting and annoying. Also, try removing the banner on the left of the concept art.

- I'm not terribly fond of the color of the background, but atleast it's unique.

- The renders of your work are too small, make them larger so the viewer can see the details.

- Some renders are too dark (ie. Angler Fish).

- Try putting a Adobe Acrobat logo by the resume link, so that the viewer knows the link is a PDF and it opens Acrobat. Also, I think having the Resume and Contact links standard HTML text takes away from the sleakness of the rest of the site, try making those link buttons a graphic, or atleast pick a nicer font. The copyright disclaimer on the bottom is too large too, try making the font size smaller.

- I am viewing the site at 1280x1024 resolution and the entire front page can't load on screen without a side scroll-bar. Try fitting the entire page so that it loads fully without needing a sidebar for 1280x1024 viewers, since it's still a very common resolution.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've been waiting about a minute for the main page to load and have given up.
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that you guys. Not sure what exactly is going on why it's taking a while to load.

I deleted the Flash on the side, so if you guys can try to see if that makes a difference, but again thanks for all the comments!
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main points have already been mentioned; I think it's pretty good overall, but that banner with the rectangles flying all over is incredibly distracting.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    totally lost why you give a "poly" count and also a "tri" count

even more lost as to why you do this for your high-poly meshes too. You may as well tell the viewer what you had for breakfast that day
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yep, now that the flash thing is gone it loads really quick like it should.