Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - JoshF, Demo Reel

If you're interested i've got a website portfolio for you to puruse with a brand new demo reel.
enjoy

http://www.joshfulmore.com/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice reel! Love the take on Mario. A bit long and slow at points.

I'd like to see some additional notes during the wireframes about what material layers were used (normal map, spec color map, texture resolutions, etc.).

I don't see the need for two whole rotations around the Hercules model, just one will do before you show the wireframe. The L for "ow res" is getting cut off. I'm not sure why there's a LOD for the dog, but not for the man, and why we never see it.

The Gypsy is a cool piece. Is this designed to be real-time? If so, it'd be nice to overlay some specs.

OK, I'm going to be blunt here, you can thank me later. I'd nix all the figure drawings. Sure it shows you can draw OK, but they aren't knock-out good, and if you're going for a games job none of us who are hiring artists care about figure drawings. Even if it's the only art you have, I don't want to see it, it's just a waste of my time. Remember the people reviewing your work are impatient, they have ten million other things to do, do whatever you can to shorten your reel and not waste their time. They're not applicable anyhow when you're already showing concept art.

I personally don't like thumbnails that are tiny croppings of the artwork, but I can see why people want to do this. It doesn't help when you're going through the art and want to get back to something you saw before, but they're all cropped so it's hard to find that piece you liked. I'd also like to see the thumbs be larger.

You could really reduce reduce reduce. Too many items, I just don't have the time to click on all those thumbnails. Only the best of the best should be here. You should make up your mind what the purpose of the site is (getting a job, or showing your art to your family/friends) and if it's getting a job, what position? Concept artist at a game dev? Be relentless.

Nice reel, the only reason I'm spending all this time is because you show a lot of promise. But the site is preventing me from seeing your best work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    No stills of your 3d stuff?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not so sure opening with a streaming reel set to play is a good idea on your main page. I normally like the option to view a reel (or not) based on the 2D images I see first. One disadvantage is that you start spending your bandwidth right away anytime someone comes to your site. ouch...

Maybe give the reel a splash page that sells it enough to warrant clicking, waiting & watching.

It's also a risky venture not to put up 2D images of your stuff, in case they can't load the video for whatever reason, codec, bandwidth issues, lack of patients.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe not the best art I've seen in a demo reel, but definitely one of the best demo reel presentations. Loved it!

- BoBo
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Echoing BoBo's post, I really enjoyed watching that.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great presentation and scenes. The overall feeling presented is great. Love the music. The individual elements in the scenes could certainly use some refining though.

3d stills are a must for 3d modeling jobs.
  • JoshF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the great crits you guys. I've made a concise list of things that i'll give my attention to:

The Reel:

-too long.
    -get materials and other info into the wire frame info
    -no need for the LOD (doesn't make sense)
    -the dogs only need one rotation to save on time
    -some specs for the gypsy
    -life drawing is unnecessary given the concept art

The Site

-Thumbnails too small
    -Too many items
    -Don't have 3d stills of characters
    -The homepage immediately streams the demo reel. User should click to start if they want.

thanks you guys... this is very helpful.. i'll get right on it.

josh