Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Frankie Hobbins, 3D modeler

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Frankie polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys,
I haven't really been posting for a while, I stopped working and have been cycling a lot this summer. Anway I thought it would be good to update my portfolio as it was looking a bit boring before. So, here it is!

http://www.frankiehobbins.com/

I would like to know what you think, hopefully I will get a chance to add more game art to it soon and I would also like to try some architectural modeling and rendering.

oh, and does anyone know how to make the custom link colours work in IE?

Thanks!

Frankie

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks professional to me. good solid work, perhaps show your game art first and show the wireframes etc if thats the kinda work your going for. then have the statues and still renders lower down the page? I dont know if that would work, just a suggestion
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff. I like the layout, everything you need quick and easy without much fuss or clicking, some really cool art too =)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Frankie, looks good, slick and clean, to the point. I wanted to see larger
    images though, X2 the size that are shown when i click each link would be better.

The work is great, just let people appreciate what went into it with larger pics.

How you doing otherwise?

k.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff Frankie, I was expecting to see some trees tho.

Love the roman guy, in a platonic and PC way.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff frankie.
    still not sure about the grip of the gun :p
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Frankie, nice site... the layout is good, it loads fast and is easy to use, cool stuff.

I agree with Kevin that the images which the links go to should be bigger.

The highpoly hardsurface modelling is good, nice details on the car and gun, they're presented well.

I don't like the human statue and the face (selfportrait? :) ) study so much - they're very obviously just sub-d work, no sculpting... and these days if you're going for a highpoly humanoid, you will nearly always get better results when sculpting it unless you spend ages modelling in sub-d.
    Because of this, the face looks pretty blobby, there isn't much fine detail there. When I think of good organic character models, I think of stuff like Caroline Delen's Big Dave face, or Kolby Jukes' Sergei character.

I think that's the sort of level of detail and interest you should be aiming for if you're going for a character modeller job... admittedly those images are from people at the top of their game but I think you should be aiming to match that quality, I think you are capable of it.

Also I don't know exactly what sort of job you're aiming for, but some more lowpoly/normalmapped/textured stuff would definitely be needed for a game art job, although if you're going for more freelance stuff then architectural rendering and visualisation sounds like a great direction to go in, there can be a lot of money in that for not much effort ;)

Anyway, it's a pretty solid portfolio. Good work.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Your demo reel is completely unnecesary. Youre just panning 2d pictures across the screen. Pictures that are already on your site and load faster. It also says on your site that youre an animator, so I was expecting animation...
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I always wondered who modeled the tormentor...very nice. Nice portfolio, I like your bg. Clean and simple. It would be nice to see your wires, flats etc.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the replies, I'm glad you like the layout. I'll switch the linked images sometime to larger ones. I would like to try some non realtime CGI which is why the bias isn't towards game art.

Kevin, I'm doing good, I've done a lot of cycling, I made a webpage here http://www.frankiehobbins.com/bike/ of all the trips ive done, although I haven't got the photos yet of the last one which was two weeks in the french alps so theres still another segment to come. I was hoping to have put it up before I showed people the link.

Mop, Yeah I think theres no point going as far with SubDs in the next organic peice, I definatly need to show some zbrush or mudbox work on there.

Aesir Sorry your right I don't have any animation. I definatly consider myself an aniamtor and see it in my future don't have any recent works to show. I was wondering if I should remove the & Animator section but untill I have some new animations to show theres no indication that I have any skills in that area.

I don't think the demo reel is pointless as some companys prefer watching a video while revewing portfolios rather than browsing a webpage. Unfortunatly I dont have the processing power to render off the demo reel as full 3d, which would look much nicer. Still, now I've got the layout sorted I can start the rendering.

Cheers

Frankie
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just set up the scenes, hit "Render", then go for a bike ride :)
    Animated turnarounds in the demo reel would be a great improvement.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think its pretty pointless unless you have a 3d camera. Just panning images is pointless imo. Take it out until you get some animations.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree on the panning problem. It was a disappointment to wait for the large/slow download and only see pans. There was no auto-start either. QT Pro is cheap, does great H264 compression, and does auto-start. Well worth it, great little app.

You could speed up the rendering by baking the AO, only having dynamic specular. Though I'd rather see the models turning while the light stays stationary, to really show off the modeling quality. Would love to see cage wire, subdivided wire, then solid. And mudbox/zbrush too.