Home Technical Talk

Switching to Zbrush

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
Ok, so here's the thing, Zbrush seems to have a lot of tools that I want to use, is used by many companies, etc...so I want to learn it, maybe to totally switch, maybe to just do what I need/what it does better than mud, and I know mud09 will have similar features, etc but still I think it's a valuable skill to have.

As a mudbox user, I'm quite lost in it, I've been looking for tutorials but all I can find is how to doodle on a shitty sphere...I'm most interested in zspheres creation/manipulation (IIRC Mop made a full character out of them and the end result was really good), subtools/layers, polypainting/materials, retopo and transpose (well this is all I can think of now) I have used the projection master in z2 and liked it, but preferred mudbox's simplicity.

anyways, if you have pointers to tutorials, videos, etc...

Thanks.

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    www.pixologic.com

Alot of the basic tutorials in their learning section are pretty good for learning the basics of the tools and how the interface works.

One of the nicest learning features of ZBrush is that most of the tools you can hold CTRL and hover over the tool for a breakdown of what it does.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Truth, and if you check www.zbrush.info it gives the basic rundown of most features in the program. I found those were much better than any technical tutorials.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the 2-3 hours I'd invest in the ZBrush DVD's were well worth it, they save so much time. I used the ZBrush 2 when learning it for the first time, and ZBrush 3 when I had to learn how to use it for my last job. I used Digital Tutors, but Gnomon is probably the same.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Mudbox 2009 does sound great, but knowing more is always good. As per the above the wiki/free classroom resources are good. If you want to see something taken from beginning to end there is this video tutorial. If you would like videos for particular features this would likely be your best bet.

Zspheres are interesting, but I have not found them as fast as hacking out a quick base in Silo/Max/etc. The topology tools are there, but not as polished as Nex/Polyboost/Silo.

Some of the features that you might want to look at are: the brushes (clay, clay tubes, standard, pinch all get specific results which speed things up). The transpose tools. The layers. The polypainting (though MB2009 looks to far surprass ZB in that area). If you look up brushes, transpose, and layers on the wiki you'd be well on your way.

You'll want the subtool plugin to make it less annoying to deal with files, and kill any chances of an on save bug.
  • arshlevon
  • dnorth
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I learned both zb2 and zb3 (a few months later) from watching cannedmushrooms video tutorials. He's not the greatest artist, but certainly knows how to teach: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=53087
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Can't really link you to any specific tuts, but I can give a few tips :
    1. look up for the rs2 materials, very good for modeling.
    2. press p for perspective.
    3. make a startup macro with your favorite material, brush sizes, etc. and map it to a key.
    4. map keys by ctrl-click a UI item, so you should have your favorite brushes etc.
    5. I know you are busy with work etc, but what helped me switch from mudbox to zb3 were 3d total sculpting competitions, 4 hours each, after doing 3 of them and seeying what other people come up with the same basemesh I'd say I'm much more confident in zb3.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Gnomon - Introduction to Zbrush

Kurv Studios - Introduction to Zbrush

Are very helpful. The Gnomon one jumps around different parts of the program, the Kurv one is a project (alien head) from start to finish). The Gnomon Human Anatomy one is also very good.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot guy, this is all very valuable information. the Zbrush.info link is awesome and I'll look at the videos this weekend, my idea to learn it was to create a small monster from start to finish using all those techniques (think pokemon or something )

are there any scripts or tools to modify the UI for instance to only display the tools I use ?

trying to learn the shortcuts tho, some are quite weird when you come from Mudbox/XSI :s
    getting there slowly though !
    thanks again :)
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    if you buy the scott spencer book, he goes into great detail on customizing the interface.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    vahl wrote: »
    are there any scripts or tools to modify the UI for instance to only display the tools I use ?

trying to learn the shortcuts tho, some are quite weird when you come from Mudbox/XSI :s

Yeah you can modify the UI like crazy, you can add/remove buttons, create custom rollouts, position stuff wherever you want it. I think you can even have buttons on the canvas if you want.

For shortcuts, you can change these if you have ZBrush 3.1 - just CTRL+leftclick on any button and it will toggle the "hotkey assign mode" so you can assign any key combo to that button.

I would also recommend getting the "Reset Brush" zscript, you can have that on a hotkey to restore your favourite brush settings for each brush tool.

It sounds like a good idea, what you said, to make a full little character (mainly organic monster or something) - start off with ZSpheres to rough out the structure and proportions, then do some quick sculpting to refine the volumes, then use the Retopology tools (very fast once you get used to how it works), and you will have a completely custom basemesh with detail exactly where you need it. Then you can just get on with sculpting, using custom brushes/alphas/polypainting etc - you could even make the lowpoly in ZBrush and bake it all down if you wanted (although the UVs would suck).
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »
    I would also recommend getting the "Reset Brush" zscript, you can have that on a hotkey to restore your favourite brush settings for each brush tool.

You know, I tried this zscript, and it takes a while to run each time - instead I've found to make my own startup script by setting the values for brushes I actually use m, and it runs much faster.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really? I haven't noticed any slowdown. All my brushes have startup settings, and I have "\" bound to Reset Brush so if I've been fiddling with the settings while working, I can just hit \ and get my original settings back. Seems fast to me.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot guys, that's really helping me out, so I started playing with zspheres following Nick Zuccarello's videos which are really awesome and sculpted out a shitty little monster, but that way I was able to play with subtools, try out all the brushes (WTF stitching brush !!! if I knew that shit existed :'() I love the claytubes, awesome to define musculature. been playing with transpose to modify the basemesh and end up with something approximately ready to sculpt. next step will be to play with the polypainting, but so far I like, even tho some stuff is really weird and it takes me forever to do stuff I can do instantly with mudbox, but hopefully that will come with time, as I learn each tool.

anyways, I imported a polysphere to use as an eye for my lill' shitmonster and was wondering if there was a way to mirror the subtool or if I had to do it in a 3d package/get a pair of eyes ready to import and transpose when I need.

thanks again, all this info is getting assimilated as I go, taking some time though :p

lulzcrapshitmonster
    lolzbrush.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    vahl wrote: »
    anyways, I imported a polysphere to use as an eye for my lill' shitmonster and was wondering if there was a way to mirror the subtool or if I had to do it in a 3d package/get a pair of eyes ready to import and transpose when I need.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=57154 makes dealing with import/export easier, avoids the onsave bug, has a mirror function.

The first monster is cool :)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    oooooh thanks, forgot to download it the first time you posted it, sorry :p lots of info at once :p I'll install it right now and try that tomorrow :)

as for the monster, well that was just some random doodling to test out zspheres, polypainting, etc :p nothing too fancy:p
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirror can be found under 'deformation' in the tools menu. make a clone of the tool you want to mirror and append it as a subtool first to make sure you have eyes in both sockets. You can also use regular zbrush polyspheres (converted to editable mesh) as eyes so you wont have to import from other packages if you don't want to.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    there's also subtoolmaster (sp?) which is a really handy plugin available from the pixologic forums.
  • nazeil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nazeil interpolator
    dnorth wrote: »

gonna third this book. really great source of information, and well written to boot.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Also, feel free to bug me if you get stuck. =]
    I'd like to see you slap an AUV tileset on that dude and convert the polypaint to a bitmap, then use it to bake color from the high rez to a proper UVd low rez. Do you plan on doing that for this guy?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, that subtool master plugin is awesome, been watching more of the vids again today and played with zspheres again, getting used to the tools takes some tome though, they are really reacting differently than mudbox.
    I got the hang out of the masking and started playing with polygroups too, again that takes some time to get used to, but it's getting there :p I can't seem to be able to show different polytools while others are hidden (seems to be restricted to one ?) other than by dragging the selection marquee over the area I want to see but that also takes polygroups I may not want, guess I need to do more researches on that :s.

Gwotto : thanks sir :) I'll make sure to as soon as I see you online :p
    as for finishing the monster thing, I could eventually...dunno, that was really a test, I started a new one, still an exercise, but that may be an interesting thing to do, like retopo it and bake, at least to test the workflow...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By polytools do you mean subtools or polygroups? In both cases you can show multiple if you want.

With subtools whatever one you have selected will be displayed. If you turn on the eye next to it while it's selected all other subtools will be turned on, and turn it off while selected to turn off all. Select a tool you don't intend to turn on and then click the eye symbol for all the ones you want to get multiple (but not all) subtools visible.

For Polygroups, to view multiple ones: ctrl+shift click on a desired group and again once the others are invisible, then ctrl+shift click all the other groups you want to view. do the same thing in blank space to invert the visible groups.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that was polygroups, sorry :p thanks for the heads up, very uselful stuff :)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    ok, third day, really starting to like it, so today was mesh extraction and retopology.

meshextractioncloth.jpg

While the first worked perfectly and was really amusing, the second was a bit trickier, I tried 2 methods, since I can see both of these happening in production.

First I tried to import an obj mesh, followed the PDFs, videos, etc instructions to avoid the scaling problem, but then I see that a lot of zspheres are missing, resulting in gaps and streched verts when transferring the sculpt details. I tried to recreate them, but I apparently had to delete a bunch before being able to create one, so I abandonned that method.

then tried the built in retopology, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, this is really easy to work with, very straightforward, and besides a few glitches that are easy to get around if you are careful (double edges, connection to the center sphere, multiple points on the same spot) this was a real breath to work with. There the transfer was easy and perfect.

retopologytest.jpg

any idea on the obj import thing ? I'm specifically thinking of that to transfer some of my basemeshes from mudbox to zbrush while keeping all the subdivision levels.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    zbrush can reconstruct lower subdiv levels - at least i do think i saw this option somewhere.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if you bring in the highest Sub-d level, then as long as the original mesh was all quads, you should be able to just use the "Reconstruct Subdiv" button in the Geometry rollout of the Tool palette, to create each lower level. You may need to turn on UVs for the model before it will let you do this (so if it doesn't seem to work, just try generating auto UVs for the model, or enable the "UV" button in the Texture rollout of the Tool palette).
    That'll be much easier than trying to import the high level and the cage and trying to Project it.

And yeah I agree, the retopology is actually pretty fast once you figure out how to set it up initially (which isn't too hard anyway). I've used it a lot and it works great.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To add to what's already been said, zbrush and mudbox use different division algorithms, so subdividing a mesh once in each will result in different point orders. However, as long as they both share the same UVs zbrush will import the details based on those instead of the point order. It's handy for when the recreate sub-d tool doesn't work sense you can just bring in the lowest division from mud, subdivide up to the same amount as your highest mesh and overwrite it with muds one to get all the details and divisions.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if it wasn't all quads you can still go down to level 1, which should be enough in most cases.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, I had that to work, does a great job rebuilding mud meshes, but the problem is still there, I'll do more research and post here if I can find a solution on the obj import problem, this can still be quite useful if you do highpoly renders but need a proper topology and that one wasn't done in Z (which can happen in production, etc...)