Home Technical Talk

T-Pose References?

Daaark
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Daaark polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys,

I've been looking for some 't-pose' reference front, back, and side pictures unsuccessfully these last 2 nights. Everything I type in google seems to give me bad results, and I looked through the reference stick here. Most of the links are years old, and are now no longer valid.

Funny, back when I didn't need them, I couldn't help but trip over sites full of these. Now I can't find one. I can find sites full of references of people in awkward, non helpful poses. I want to model over these. I even have a DVD full of 3DSK content that I got with 3D World Magazine, but they aren't very helpful, as the subjects are wearing baggy clothes and the angles and framing is purposely off to make them less useful.

I would appreciate any links to some free images. Or even the proper term for what I'm looking for, maybe it will help me get better search results.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    do a search for qauss and loomis +polycount

here

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=48114

that should help.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Right Click->Save To Figure Reference Folder*

So close! Those aren't 't-pose'd, and the woman is wearing heels, altering her posture a bit. The broken off arms aren't helpful either.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an animator I HATE the T-Pose. I really prefer arms at a 45 degree angle like what is posted in that thread, for easier shoulder manipulation. It really helps control stretching.

when a character is animated the arms hardly ever raise up to a full T for most game characters. If you can model in a pose thats closer to your default in game pose then everyone has an easier time. In a T your shoulders are bunched up and you have to compensate for when you bring them down to a natural pose.

Another reason to not use the T pose is, it can be hard to get an accurate sense of the length of the arms. All too often biceps are short and stubby and forearms are freakishly long on T pose models.

The broken off arms give you a better view of the torso.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your insight Vig.

I'm new to character modeling and animating. I do environments, but I'm going to get some characters done now.
    Another reason to not use the T pose is, it can be hard to get an accurate sense of the length of the arms. All too often biceps are short and stubby and forearms are freakishly long on T pose models.
    I've noticed that in numerous models, but I always assumed it was from people modeling without following a guide?

Eventually, all my models will be segmented so that each limb is it's own interchangeable mesh. So I won't have any deforming problems. And these characters will lift their arms up even higher than a t-pose on several occasions. So, my models will never even have shoulder polygons to distort, just upper torso and upper arm meshes floating relative to each other.

My goal right now is to build a very simple mesh with proper proportions that I can lay out some simple fighting game animations with, and then later make all the individual body part meshes to attach at runtime in my projects.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are after the best modeling pose, it would have to be:
    Arms down 45*
    Elbows bent 30*
    Arms forward 20*
    Fingers slightly curled
    Feet shoulder width apart
    Legs forward about 15*
    Knees bent about 25*

All of these are rough estimates, but will give you an optimal reference pose. If you are doing your modeling in a sculpting app, and then building the low-poly on top, the very non-orthagonal pose shouldn't be a real problem (I am convinced that the T pose's main benefit was its ease of modeling/following reference, since it is so orthogonal). One thing is for certain, the T-pose sucks and you shouldn't use it unless there is a really pressing reason otherwise.
    Eventually, all my models will be segmented so that each limb is it's own interchangeable mesh. So I won't have any deforming problems.
    You will always have deforming problems.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will always have deforming problems.
    But my segmented model won't deform. All the parts will remain still.

The user will choose different meshes for every bone. And every mesh will attach all it's vertices to that bone with a 1.0 weight. Very simple set up. These individual meshes will only rotate with the bones, and never be able to deform, as there will be no bending parts.

That's exactly why I want a t-pose, to follow along easier in ortho, and then use that to build my smaller meshes off.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, good stuff to keep in mind for later I guess.

One thing you could do, I'm not sure which app you're using, if its 3dsmax you could use biped. I don't think the default proportions of biped are all that correct, its meant to be a middle ground that can be manipulated into the correct shape. BUT you could scale its pieces to match the Loomis ref, then rotate the arms into a T-Pose.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be using either trueSpace or anim8or. Depending on my ability to create a proper pipeline with either. tS has a [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QGlziBKG1k]prebuilt biped skeleton.[/ame]
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    If you are after the best modeling pose, it would have to be:
    Arms down 45*....

I'm not quite sure why a 45 angle would be optimal, what if characters lift their arms up in the air ??

I usually do my characters with a 20* angle.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't get any stretching when the arms go above a T pose because things are collapsing not stretching. Also arms always go down to 45 or below, but rarely go above a T. 20 might work ok also, and so will a T Pose, but the chances that you'll discover stretching are greater the more you have to deform the joint.

45 is half way between 0 and 90. It is also as close as you really want to get to a natural pose before the skinning envelopes start to overlap with the torso.

Free apps huh... well good luck to ya then. =)
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why a 45 angle would be optimal, what if characters lift their arms up in the air ??

I usually do my characters with a 20* angle.

Arms can only go between 0 and 90. Anything above a T-pose is almost all clavicle rotation, which means your shoulder is still at about 0* even when reaching straight up. Why would you use a 0 or 20* angle in the modeling pose? That is modeling at the extreme (and an uncommon extreme, since the arms are far more usually down). Another important thing is, the motion from T-pose to arms forward or backward is actually much more significant than the motion from arms 45* down and a bit forward (don't forget to model your arms a bit forward, not straight out to the side), especially if you are using a shoulder twist.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Free apps huh... well good luck to ya then. =)
    I'm a hobbyist. You think I'm going to be spending 3k on an app that will let me just move a few polygons around? :poly142:

I'm just doing basic animations for my small games, I'm not making Shrek the Fourth. Also not interested in limited licenses. Those won't get me far when I'm releasing my game on Xbox Live Arcade Community games next year.

That XSI app looked awesome. Too bad they just got rid of their entry level version.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a hobbyist. You think I'm going to be spending 3k on an app that will let me just move a few polygons around? :poly142:

Well it can do more than just move polygons around, which is why it costs a lot. :poly141:

Anyway, having the arms at a 45* angle works best, as you might've noticed from the replies. I'm sure the prebuilt biped rig can be modified to conform to your model, well that's actually required, unless you plan to build your model around the rig.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should also try out Silo or wings3D for modeling and use another app like Blender or Milkshape to export to a game format.

Silo isn't free, but its cheap. It doesn't do all that 3dsmax and Maya can, but its pure hot-buttered joy on a stick. The work flow is easy to pick up and easy to customize.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know those programs can do a lot more. I used to mess around with Max. I said, I'd not paying for a 3k program just so I can move polygons around. :)

Milkshape is mostly useless to me, as it can't handle anything I require.

Blender is a piece of junk.

Unless Silo can animate mulitple figures at the same time in the context of a scene, and then have a scripting window I can use to write it out to my fileformat, it's useless to me.

Either trueSpace or anim8or will be able to get the job done just perfectly. I'm more than capable of making what I need already.