Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bloody Mess - Environment

ryanH
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ryanH polycounter lvl 18
This was a fun little sweet potato pancake to make. Textures and Wires at the bottom - Images

Another attempt at creating a painterly style environment. The lighting is just point lights, the dark areas are lights with a negative value to simulate shadows.

Peace

bloodFount-1.jpg

bloodFount-2.jpg

Replies

• AndyLittleton
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
    Love your style man. Your work is inspiring to me.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I think I liked the Tree Gate better.. this looks good but there's something that feels really off and I can't really tell you why. Maybe cause the focal point is in the dead center of the image.. or maybe cause the center isn't as impressive as it could be. I'm more drawn to looking at the torches than the center.. it could be those spear edges pointing all over the place... yeah those ones in the roof really ruin it I think... almost everything points UP but those point down.

obviously I have no idea what I am talking about but ya.. tree gate was a lot better :D not that this isn't good. just not as good.

EDIT: maybe toning down the lights on the sides would help? looking at your concept they aren't as bright to the sides and it brings the center forward a lot more.
  • AndyLittleton
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe everything is just 2 symetrical thus making the composition not as powerful as this piece deserves?
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I like it, but it's too busy.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah lots of good parts but as a whole its too flat and the lighting isnt doing much.
  • AsylumSeaker
    The objects on there own all look amazing, as does your texturing. But as people have already said your composition and lighting in this scene is a little underwhelming. Perhaps some things stacked against the walls in a non-symmetrical fashion would help.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    very nice hand painted textures
    I feel that those bricks texture could be less contrasted with the black lines? Would give a more painted looking
  • MLinderholm
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Love the textures!
  • Toast
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    It reminds me of old school Doom but then again it's original in it's own right. Nicely done. Ah man, I'm feeling nostalgic for doom now!
  • Michael Knubben
    You can set lights to negative? :O

Aside from that nooby discovery (yay), the rest of your thread also makes me want to say yay. Based on people's comments, I take it you're the guy who also made the painterly gate? If so, I think this works better. It's less illustration-like, but the style really freshens up the tired old gothic-doomy stuff with its vibrancy. Especially the centerpiece is impressive. Are you considering an entire level in this style? It would give you the opportunity of making some more impressive layouts than this one, which is fairly static and understated.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    seriously i like your style a lot. wish i would see more games with this kind of stylish environments.
  • ryanH
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanH polycounter lvl 18
    alright so this one doesn't work so well. i agree it is busy. thanks for all the feedback. i guess i didn't mind the symmetry, but since it is bugging people i can't ingore it. the next environment i will try harder to make it less symmetrical.

as with the tree gate, it was just a quick fun peice to make. thanks for looking!

peace
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think the symmetry is such a big issue. Personally I think it is more of a lighting issue.. walls on the side are too light and the focal point in the middle seems too dark.. I mean it has fire on the head but the actual head is pretty dark... I mean even the wooden parts have a lighter value.

and I'd expect those torches to light up the pathway but it seems like they are lighting up the walls instead. normally the pathway would lead up to the focal point but now it is the walls that do it and they draw more attention than the head in the middle does.

then looking at all the pointy things there's really nothing that helps you to get to the middle area either. everything seems to flow outwards (to the walls).

like people pointed out.. everything looks great individually so if you'd want to change this it shouldn't take much time. it's just composition and lighting. in fact I'd encourage you to give this some more time cause I'd really really love to see another version of this one :) cause ya.. I love it and I really like your style.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think its pretty awesome :) maybe just your choice of pimping screenshot wasnt the best angle to show it off
  • Ziodyne
    The fires in this piece are beautiful to look at, and the shadows on the pillar skulls really make them pop out.

I think the 7th and 8th shots on your web page are the strongest. And I'm definetly saving them for future study!
  • Oneil
    I Thinks it's Really awesome too man, I like your style .
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    You're a talented artist. It's nice to see some creativity in the execution of environment pieces.

My only complaints are with the floor and the overall lighting of the piece. The floor is noisy and too dark and overall I feel the dark areas get a bit too dark when compared to the vibrant, saturated colors you're using in lit areas.

If indeed that many large torches were lighting the space, there would be a lot of light to go around and the floors directly beneath them would surely be affected.
  • shawnzer
    The painted unwrap of the skull and banners are very nice. Lots of little details. Although Is the floor texture 512x512 in this render?
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    That looks ..... awesome! Great style! the fire looks amazing!
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This and your other works are boner-town for me. Hadn't seen the tree gate before, really inspiring stuff!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The fourth image on your site, bloodFount-1.jpg, love it!
  • MartinKDahl
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    brilliant! i like it alot
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Thats all kinds of badass. i'm really impressed with the fire just being an alpha. excellent work.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Your sense of color is great. Nice work.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That's looks great! Great use of color. It reminds me of WoW a bit. My only criticism is the lighting could be a little bit better, more bright so it fills up the room a little bit more.