Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Alan Huang

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to work in the game industry, but having some difficult time find a job in Vancouver area. Thats why i'm here to hear all the critiques from you guys about my works.:)

Thank you,
Alan

www.egghuang.com

Replies

• Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when I go to you link there is nothing there in the 3d photo section.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i can see it, you must not be able view flash galleries. I think it would be ok to remove McDonalds from your resume.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    I can't see it ether
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    same. cant see it.

using firefox, winxp and uhm.. ya..
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I think the breakdown you have for the bike is a little much....I dont believe its really necessary to show a diffuse, spec, shadow, final gather and then an ao pass....for a gaming reel(im assuming you DO want to get into gaming) people arnt going to care that you have fancy rendering going on in your model. I say make it look good in real time, or try and simulate that within maya just with your basic maps. The train yard is not bad....the bricks on the wall look too big tho

Also, its nice that you showed a wireframe of the train, but no triangle count....and no triangle count or wireframes for the environment? And perhaps list off the the maps used, but nothing as drastic as with the bike
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't view it, either; Firefox 3 - I think you might be missing out on a lot of pageviews.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    You have some solid work, but I think it can be presented better. Try to render your work against darker backgrounds, avoid white (i.e. the Building); it makes it easier on the eyes when looking at the skins/texture work.

The images of the work are also too small, try to get larger renders on the site so the viewer can enjoy the details.

I think you have too many thumbnails. I click on a thumbnail on the main page to be taken to a page with more thumbnails, then to the actual work, which has another row of thumbnails on the top.

I also think there are too many buttons in general. I think the slideshow feature is unnecessary; it also deforms the dimensions of the image, causing your work renders to appear blury or stretched.

Some personal web related pet-peeves; I don't like the grey texture background on the site, try to make it a solid color. I also don't like the notebook frames around the thumbnails; makes the work seem - for lack of a better word - trivial. But once again, these are just personal pet-peeves.

Good work overall; just those minor tweaks and you got yourself a nice, professional looking portfolio site.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I also cant view the 3d images, and that demo is taking ages to load for me and I cant see the controls (no play/pause button, no time-slider) but they are there... :s I can drag the bottom black bit where the time-slider "should" be and it works ... its just invisible

Anyway before you fix the colour and layout of the page I suggest making it work for everyone who is trying to view it first :p At least the "Made on a Mac" button works... but I don't think that should really be there!

Personally I don't like Times New Roman font on the resume, especially considering the rest of the font on the site is something else but thats not a big deal I guess
  • egghuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you guys for all the critiques about my works and portfolio, I will try my best to fix it. I quickly setup a basic weblog for my portfolio, do you guys think this way is better to show my works?

thank you
    Alan

http://alanhuang.wordpress.com

• bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, im in the process of setting up my wordpress as well....the only thing id say is stay away from a white bg, it burns the eyes!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Alan,
    Yeah that website has way too many clicks and 'webthings' if I may say (fancy back and forth buttons, popups, 'made on a mac' footer aso). You can easily take down a ton of that. Just prioritize whatever you want to show. If something is getting in the way, drop it!

Same for the blog - remove anything 'blog-related'. I have no idea what 'blogroll' and 'weblog' mean, and since I don't like made up words I don't want to know :)

Also make the page with your pictures the first page. Instead of 'frontpage / about / portfolio' go for 'gallery / about' with your resume in the 'about' page.

Make sure to remove that banner picture of city streets since it's not your work ...

The calendar has to go too!

Good luck!
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Each of the building pieces seems like you just grabbed the diffuse and threw it into crazybump. IMO this is not a great idea. You can't have a high poly source for everything obviously, but you should really try to make high polys when reasonable.

Looks like some of your props may have been made with a high poly model (although looks to have been made using world normals). However, I don't see any of the high poly images on there. I think showing some high poly work would be very beneficial for you. As for the modeling, diffuse/spec, it seems to be fairly solid. Although, giving each piece of fruit its own set of UV's seems like an odd thing to do :-p
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new one - it's direct and unconfusing. Plus, I'm a big fan of simple designs. (:
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better bg. good ol gray....

I would also make your portfolio page, your home page, and get rid of the home page you have now. less clicking for people to navigate around is always better