Home General Discussion

Spammers using Polycount

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
What' up I just noticed this today in my email.

gauss@polycount.com Hello

It was in my spam box and it came with an attachment. File ends in .src and nothing in the email itself. It seems people are using our names on polycount to do crap, so I figured I shared my experience. Did I open the file no, I'm not as dumb as I look.

I knew there was something wrong when I saw his name in my inbox because I have never given him a reason for him to contact me. So you polycount members that may be looking for work don't let your hopes get the better of you and be safe.

Alex

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think a lot of the time when this happens it's because someone's email client has been hit by a virus, a trojan, or hijacked in some way - the unsuspecting infectee's address book is used as a cover when sending out duplicate spam mails to try and infect more users.

So I guess someone who has both your email address and his, has a virus on their computer, or opened a dodgy email in an insecure client.

I would assume everyone on these is internet-savvy enough to know not to open unusual or unexpected attachments from people they don't know (or rarely contact), and if a mail has a weird subject line or content, and an oddly-named attachment, it's 99.9% certain that it's a virus.

Run a scan on your computer just in case.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    so those pills you recommended me Mop, arent really worth anything ? I just sent them my credit card number ordering a lot.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah this has been going around lately, right before i left Ensemble someone opened a msn file from another person within ensemble...3 computers later it got under control. Was a image.04 that once you downloaded you had to unzip and extract..so there was alot of steps but people still got taken.

Spark
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    so those pills you recommended me mop, arent really worth anything ? I just sent them my credit card number ordering a lot.

YES THEY REALY D0 ENL4RGE IT by UP TO 50% !!!1
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    50% of the original sise :O. wow i really want that.

i am sending everybody that i ever emailed emails about some chinese internet store lately, it really sucks because i've run all the tests/scans that i (and some other people) could think of, and it didn't turn up anything. It sends and email to one person i know, and then a whole list of people i don't know. And it also deletes my "sent" folder (but puts them in the "deleted" thingie, so i can still look it up).
    so if anybody knows what to do about that, i'd be übergratefull :D. (perhaps Mop has some pills to fix it? :p)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Japhir, you should format and reinstall. Anti virus is there to keep things out of your system, but once you are infected they are not worth a damn and you have to start clean.

Edit: Oh, and just because a mail says it is from one address doesn't mean it is sent from that address. If I want to I can just have my email's reply-to address be "bgates@microsoft.com" if I want to. It's when someone mails back to verify the email that the fakeness gets revealed.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget DBAN!
    http://www.dban.org/

Run it, and the drive is uber-clean, no root kits, no nothing. :)

Warning, be sure you back up all your stuff, because once you run DBAN once (or more if you'd like), it's nearly impossible to get something back.

Always, always, always backup your work. :D