Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Erics website Template n Q's....Need Help!

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
Hello polycounters, I have a couple of questions to anyone who can answer...preferably environment artists who have gone thru the same thing I am going thru right now.

I'm just about ready with my portfolio and Im playing with layouts/fonts but am unsure if it is wise even putting my 2D work up to show. I have read on numerous employer descriptions that they like to see candidates who have a good-strong understanding of 2D/fine art. After going thru 3 years of animation and getting my diploma I decided that was not for me, as my true passion was in videogames and more specifically doing environments/weapons/props. But I would say that what I have in my 2D portfoilio doesnt quite jive with what I have in my 3D.

In my 2D section Ive got lifedrawings, sketches, and a few illustrations....all characters. If I had concepts of environments, schematics, or vehicle sketches that would be a different story.

Another thing making me unsure is the number of portfolios Ive seen out there with very little to no 2D work at all. Which makes me question the importance of it all....

SO. Do I ditch the drawings, or is it relevant to prospective employers that I can draw as well model and texture?

and heres a little template of what I have going on so far...simple and to the point

websitelayout02jpgpi3.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Marketing your environment artist skill usually doesn't require you show sketches or life drawings, but it can be a nice to see. Like a feature on a car you never use.

There's been a few times when looking through printing portfolios I'd see a few cool environments, and then life drawings. I always wonder "why are these here?". I'm sure about every artist has a stack of life drawings some where.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I agree, thats what my gut is telling me...

why then is it listed in so many job descriptions for environment artists that they would like to see that you have traditional skills. Confusing I say...

maybe Adam you could answer this
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    maybe there talking about environment concept art. if your apping for an environment artist why would you show character concept art in your portfolio?

idk just my take on it.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    traditional skills = your baseline ability.

traditional skills are your basics. understanding of things like perspective, color theory, proportion etc. If you know those forwards and back, then it will influence all you do for the better.
    If you were to go into an environment art role, and had no concept of things like complimentary colors for example, you would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Its never a bad thing to include sketches because you never know what an AD values and what they will judge you on, so you may as well throw some variety at em. where you get yourself into trouble is when your site has all kinds of crazy navigation, or too much content where its tough for the AD to find what they are looking for. your proposed portfolio will work fine, but in all honesty, I`d try and get more content into it.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    traditional skills = your baseline ability.

traditional skills are you basics. understanding of things like perspective, color theory, proportion etc. If you know those forwards and back, then it will influence all you do for the better.

If you were to go into an environment art role, and had no concept of things like complimentary colors for example, you would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Oh for sure I agree with everything you said here, I guess its what Im seeing in other peoples portfolios thats throwing me off here