Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Female Practice

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
My first complete current tech game character in over two years. For fun and practice.
All renders created with Xnormal. Polycount 7689.

beauty_01.jpg
beauty_06.jpg
beauty_07.jpg
beauty_08.jpg

Render
Render
Render
Render

Wireframe
Face Wireframe

Color Map
Normal Map
Specular Map
Gloss Map

WIP shot:
sculpt.jpg

Rotation:
karla.gif

I'm not 100% satisfied with the results. The face is the weakest point, I know. I need to practice sculpting them. The hands could have been better. The floating geometry caused many frustrations. I've learned a lot from this, and hope to improve on all the mistakes. Feel free to point out more. Advice welcomed.

Based on a concept by Crash:
concept.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    she has a bit of a manface, the chin is much larger than the concept and really throws it off, the lips are too narrow and give her a really strange expression, most of this stuff you can see if you just overlay the concept on your model.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Things I'd improve

- remodel a HP mesh of the clothing and include some wrinkles, will definately improve the overall look of the character and if you showing next gen models, most do have cloth wrinkles.

- make her face a little less manny.

- Improve that skin texture, needs more natural colors.

- rig the character and pose her, then you'll find out if the topology is good for rigging, if you were to be handing this model off to an animator.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Facially, concept is more mannish than model, the model with her small mouth lends an impression of pursed lips, this adds femininity - looks like you nailed the nose but the rest doesn't match the concept.

Shoulder straps - In the concept are well done, seem to be versatile as part of the design and functional for holding something. The model makes them look glued on/awaiting some kind of weapon/object to look feasible.

She just looks like a normal woman in some cool outfit but that's nothing a few rings/knuckle duster, piercings, hair dye and blemishes/scars on that perfect skin wouldn't remedy ;) She needs punking!
  • Snake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snake polycounter lvl 17
    I like the design and the modelling seems to be ok. I don't how to say this, maybe you used someone you like as facemodel, but I would redo the face to something more... Jessica Biel like. Also, check the seams between the arms and the torso, looks like she tanned her arms with masking tape :P.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone's already mentioned the face is a bit odd, I think it's a little flat and that's what is giving the mannish vibe. The body is pretty damn good (despite the farmer tan on the arms). One thing that sticks out to me is how her waist/corset thingie is snug in the concept but way loose in the model. Can't say it looks better loose.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey looks good. Im working on a female body as well can I see some of your wires, to compare?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for the late response.

Lots of good critiques here. Thanks for that.

EQ: I understand. I'm not satisfied with the face at all. I'll try to work on something more attractive.

Lee: I'll improve the appearance of wrinkles on my next character. Tho, I'm confused on your suggestion for the skin to use more natural colors. Honestly, my favorite part of this project is the skin. Oh well, I'll do better next time.

Mtg_Kirin: There are shots of the wireframe in the post.