Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio -Michael Barrington

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I finished up my Cthulhu piece and it came out pretty much how I had hoped. I'm really proud of it. I still want to get one more environment piece on there before PAX so I can throw my portfolio around while there. I thought that while I was on that track I needed to update my portfolio as well as get some possible critiques for better presentation.

I am looking for critiques to make this even better. I am also looking for a job.

http://www.mikebarrington.com

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The content is pulled left a bit too much. On a larger monitor, it's a small section of the left side of the screen. You may get better results from centering the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with the gold border to thumbnails, but you may find this is a hassle to update every time you adjust your portfolio. It's something I wouldn't use for that reason.

Cthulhu is begging for lighting.

That mario painting really shouldn't be here.

The light gray background with white text for resume is tough to read. You might consider standard format colors for resume and including a download for doc and/or pdf.

I'm not totally sold on the content, but a good environment piece could help. So let's get that pimpin' thread up and get going. ;)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    that's amusing because the left alignment I hadn't really seen as a problem before but I can see it now. =/ Mario will probably come down in that case and I'll fix up the resume page with a pdf or txt document for easy downloading.

The gold trim on the thumbnails and is just a layer in photoshop. I think it helps with the thumbnails so they all are uniform on the background of the page. I'll have to get Cthulhu into the unreal ed and see if I can get a nice light setup going there. Is there a way to get specific lighting sets into XNormal? Or are you stuck with the one light?

Thanks for the critique by the way Chris. Definitely helps quite a bit.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Changes:

-Alignment on all pages
    -Resume page is easier to read with downloadable text document
    -Mario painting is gone
    -Cthulhu page now features Unreal Editor 3 renders with full lighting.

If there's anything else people can think of I'd be happy to hear it. As for now, while I didn't have time to enter the mod facade challenge this past month, I'm going to be doing something similar to prepare my portfolio for PAX at the end of this month. I'll hopefully have a thread started on that soon enough. Wish me luck with the job hunting.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm in a similar boat to you and i do wonder what kind of level of 2d work is needed, but i do think you could push your 2d things further - that is if youre going for a 2d related job. As is just pencil sketches they probably dont do you many favours, you could take them into photoshop and tart them up somewhat or focus more on your 3d stuff and do as cholden said and knock up an environment.