Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Strider - WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, im here as I believe I would grab much better feedbacks with this character im doing for comicon challenge. I wont finish it in time, but I still want to make it.

Crits welcome, specially into anatomy and proportions. This is without retopology yet, so, it will come better later with resolution.

wip10be0.jpg

Replies

• ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. Very nice. Keep it up, man.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    looks great, but for crits id say the groove in the forearm is abit deep, the head could be a tiny bit bigger and the traps are kinda small compared to the rest of the body
  • RumbleFish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thats one cool model
    The Hands and Feet look just a little to big to me or it could just be the angle of the model?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, very nice, very nice. Overall, I'd say the anatomy is incredible, but just one thing I'm looking at I'm not sure about... His calf muscles, they seem to be long and fade into the leg too subtley. It could be from the reference you've had, but I think the muscle needs to stop more abruptly and at a shorter distance.

calves-calf-exercise-muscle-picture.jpg
    Perhaps not the best reference out there, but it sorta shows what I mean. Otherwise, keep it up! It's looking great!!

Edit: Er, and sorry about breaking the space :\
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    haha, true! Thanks for the BIG reference. ;)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Great looking model...
    Nasty looking picture of man-calves...
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hm, i cant see the model, image doesnt show up :S
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    strange me neither can see, i will upload a new image
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here it goes, some additions like veins and adjustments at muscles and proportions of feet, head, arms, etc.

wip11jj7.jpg
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    In my opinion, for what it's worth.....The front of the torso seems pretty good......the back might need to be revisited. Maybe enhance/define the lats a bit (the largest/most noticeable muscle group on the back), the lower traps seem a bit large, and I'm not sure about the bulge of the muscle below it (?) Traps could maybe come out a bit further onto the shoulder/clavicles, and maybe defining the spine of the scapula area between the rear delt and the teres muscle groups a bit might help.

The legs I think need some work, particularly the quadriceps insertion/area above and connecting to the knee, as well as the hamstring/calf insertions at the back of the knee. remember that the calf muscles are reaching up tp and attaching to the thigh bone, and the hamstrings are connecting to the lower leg, so there is a bit of overlap/intertwining/rythm going on there.

Overall your proportions seem pretty good, as well as muscle placement, just a matter of getting the forms dailed in a bit. Hope I don't sound too critical, anatomy isn't easy, just my 2 bits. You're model looks good and is on it's way to being really good. Keep it up.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    ur not being too critical, and the best thing is you´re trying to teach me, thanks alot!
    Yes, I´ve made some changes on what you said, I´m a bit unsure about the quadriceps area and back of the knee yet, I still didnt find any good reference for that, but I´ll look at.

Here´s a progress i did now when seeing your post:

wip12im8.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The back is looking much better now. I am no anatomy goblin tho so I'm not really able to crit much. I think the face could use more muscle definition though, it looks a little odd as it is with the body so defined. Small nitpick though and likely won't look the same textured anyway.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The calf muscles look better now. :)

As for anatomy reference... if you wanna go hardcore with anatomy studies and all that, I'd look into getting a really good anatomy book, unless you already have one. There are really good detailed ones out there that don't only show good pictures but really talk a lot about how all the muscles flow and connect into each other. I'm having trouble recalling any at the moment, but one comes to mind that is something like 'Anatomy of the Great Masters', or something similar? Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

Anyway, the model is looking really awesome overall, so keep up the good work. :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    this is good work, keep it up
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Xaltar: True, it seems a bit odd compared to the body, I will look forward to change that too, thanks!

Mezz, yeah, i already have a book, but that one you saying about I will have a look on it too, Thanks!

garriola: thanks!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hey this is pretty cool, i agree with fatkid, and nice adjustments after that, though i think the joint is still too high up
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    sorry, which joint Johnny?