Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Construction Site Environment

Hey all,

This is my first time posting. A friend talked me into it, and I look forward to some input.

This is my first crack at an environment in 3ds Max. I am pleased with how it is coming along, but it's definitely a WIP. I would appreciate any critiques/feedback on both the project, and the nature of my posting.

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Erender1.jpg

Erender2.jpg

Erender3.jpg

Replies

• timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good, I would like to see some closer renders of the props and the building.

Keep at it.

I am sure some of the more senior members can be of more help then me ;)

Woodridge? You wouldn't happen to be a student at Westwood there? Just wondering because that's where I go.
  • jsteinke79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I do attend Westwood... Haha, small world.
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like its coming along. I think the textures need to be dirtied up a bit more, it looks too clean. I know its a WIP and not to mention since its a building still under construction it's a structure that obviously hasn't been up that long, but still, a little more grime and detail in the textures wouldn't hurt. The concrete road blocks could definitely use it, right now its just a flat gray. Although you may have been planning on adding more to it already.

I really like the amount of detail you have put into the geometry of the building, for there is a lot to look at.

The texture of the road and also the dirt on the road looks a bit blurry/low res. The texture of the road looks like it should be somewhat lighter too.

As far as your posting goes, perhaps some screens of the wireframes, some texture flats, and also some more up-close shots of the building, showing a closer view of the dumpster and wooden palettes and what not.

Overall it is looking pretty solid and showing potential.

Hope that helps.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Not too shabby for a first go-round. First off we would all like to see wire frames and texture flats, and a close up or two as was previously mentioned.

The lines on the road look too big, especially the yellow lines in the middle. I like the dirt/mud that has been tracked onto the road, that is a nice touch. However, the track left by some construction vehicle seems a bit larger also. And I would also make those orange cylinder construction things, whatever they are called, bigger and a bit more vibrant orange. They seem a little pastel, and all the ones I have seen look a bit more vibrant and rich orange.

I know this a new WIP, but if you really want to beast it out, I have suggestions on what you can add. A trailer for one is something you almost always see at these sort of sites, for the management to sit in and pretend to look at the blueprints all day. Also some sort of construction equipment lying around, even if it isn't a huge crane, or bulldozer. Maybe one of those small concrete mixers, a generator, or just a toolbox or two and some power tools. Also, those tube things that they throw trash down going into that dumpster would be neat. And maybe some blue tarps and orange mesh fence that they use sometimes to protect their shit from weather and other crap would add some color and a more organic part to it.

It looks like you are doing a good job using modularity, and looks like it could come out pretty realistic. Keep crackin' at it.

Here's some ref that could help...
    http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/images/construction_site.preview.jpg
    http://www.nycondoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/brompton-construction-site.JPG
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Construction_Site_Seattle.jpg
    http://trinhguide.com/images/construction-site.jpg
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Some port-o-potties would be a nice addition too.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    looks alright so far!
  • jsteinke79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, everyone. Very helpful feedback. I am working on some more assets and will have some better renders up asap.

Thanks again,

Joe.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Nice first go! I like what you are doing here, cuz' I kind of did the same thing. Except I modeled mine more to be a multiplayer map. It looks like you are modeling your construction site to be more realistic. Is this for a game? Will players be able to go inside this structure or will this site be seen from a distance?

Please feel free to look at the construction site I did on my website.. take some notes on what I did right and what I did wrong. I had a tough time texturing everything and getting the proportions right. Especially the street.

There is also another student who did a contruction site at my school after I did. Go to my schools website, http://www.vanarts.com/galleries/index.php?story=../galleries/center/gad.php and under the Game Art & Design gallery look at the student reel for Lisa Fecko. Her texture work is pretty good and might also give you more ideas.

What or where is your reference? What else do you plan on adding to populate the area? There is so much you can do with what you have. You look to be on the right track so keep it up! Hope my info helps and I look forward to seeing your progress.