Home General Discussion

My cautionary tale of swords

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI[/ame]

So, I was checking out my Kensai Sword and as I was taking down off of the fireplace the sword started to s;lip out of the scabbard. My quick reflexes kicked in before common sense did and my fingers came into contact with the super combat ready edge. INSTANT LACERATIONS!!

My wife was freaking out, and so we rushed on down to the emergency room. This was my first time at the ER, so had no idea what I was doing. Once I was finally saw my fingers, I got nauseous, pa;le and ear ringing. Apparently I briefly blacked out as I didn't notice the wheely bed thing, or the guy standing near me. I just remember llaying on there and suddenly feeling really hot/sweaty.

So, after getting 13 stitches on my pinky and 'next-to-pinky' finger. I was able to go. The surgeon was pretty cool. I mentioned that I work for EA and he was talking about Crysis and other FPS that he liked to p;lay.

Now Im all dressed up and splinted and I can only use my thumb and index finger on my right hand. yay. >_<

Q- anyone know what works well to clean out blood stains?

Please share your near death experiences while playing with decorative swords.

Anyone want pics? XD

ok... my hands starting to hurt now. -.-

Replies

• e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Good going champ.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ring finger.
    that video was awesome.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    pics or it didnt happen.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    if the blood dries its near impossible to clean out on cloth
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it's good to know that you keep that shit battle-ready.

glad you didn't sever your tendons. that'd be some piss in your cheerios.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Brutal dude, that sucks. Hope everything heals up ok.

Also, that video was fucking awesome.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh, that reminds me of the time I decided to hit metal clothes line with a machete. The thing bounced and cut into my lip. I should of seen it coming but whatever. I was lucky it was dull and rusty or else I would have a serious problem and my teeth stopped it some how I think. Yeah not as classy as a sword but just as dumb.

That video was great.

Alex
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    haha, funny video. Bad experience but lucky you didn't lose your fingers hey. I was thinking about getting a decorative samurai sword, but maybe a kendo sword will suit my lifestyle more. Beer, etc.

For blood - white vinegar/wine and salt is good, and let that shit dry in the sun full on.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i cut my finger with a bread knife, does that count?
    oh and i didn't go to the doctor, so now i have an awesome scar!
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I cut my right index finger down to the bone as a kid with a swiss army knife trying to close it.

But this sums up my thoughts on swords quite well. Kinda long:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIJUUpGw7G8[/ame]
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    From the first two lines, thought you severed your fingers...

For blood stains...since they're likely dry I think the only think you can clean them with would be iodine or nail polish depends on the surface its on.
  • _Gr9yFox_
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    ...when i was a kiddo, I lost my grandmother's letter opener while pretending it was a throwing knife. (antique made of silver and pearl)

...needless to say, the near death experience was centered more around the end of a belt than a laceration stemming from the misuse of a bladed tool.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p_00004.jpg
    Kurtis Smith, artist. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Kurtis Smith will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Anyway-
    cats
    p_00007.jpg

Thanks for the cleaning tips. hadd severa;l blood streaks fly across the fireplace, onto my shirt, and a bit across the carpet into the kitchen. weee
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    See Kurtis this is why i only get dull swords. I do tend to keep my cooking knives that sharp and thusly have trimmed a bit of my skin off on many occasions.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, that sucks man. Good to hear you didn't suffer any tendon damage.

You should consider leaving the bloodstains around your living room. It adds character to the environment and would make for some bad-ass post-dinner-party conversation.
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    I hope you got seen and stitched nice and quick, I cut my thumb almost to the bone on a tin can and the skin on the end of it still feels slightly tingly and numb 5 months later. I was silly enough not to want to go to emergency (was 2 in the morning) and wrapped it up, but when the end turned a little white I got bothered and went in, they put about 12 stitches in it but I fear I left it too late and it will never fully heal.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch... O.O

Makes me kinda glad my 2 bladed Kadaj relica from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is dull. o.o;;
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i got about 10 stitches when someone threw a 5lb industrial plastic wrap box through the air too me and mid air it turned and I caught the serrated edge just barely missed the nerves in my thumb. O_o Heal quick...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    now that you have sword wounds you need to think up a better cover story than "i dropped my sword." :D!!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    now that you have sword wounds you need to think up a better cover story than "i dropped my sword." (asherr)

answer - fighting beaver ninjas, and you ran out of numchucks.....

i've split my thumb nail vertically in half with a chisel - no scars, but it ffn hurt.....
    oh - and i dropped some bricks on my 2nd big toe - effectively making a toe pancake (or is it pikelete?),
    went to the doctor, got it reconstructed and they said since the nail-bed's gone there'l never be a nail, HA!

a nail did grow back - only its warped and curved like a velociraptor's - maybe i should join the x-men :)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    That really sucks. At least you didn't lose any fingers. I'll have to check out your new robo hand when you're at work.

I've had tons of injuries from odd things. One sword one actually. I was stabbed in my left forearm in a sword fight. :D This was in high school and I was in a play for a history project about greece. We were using real swords for a mock sword battle with like 4 people. Well one guy got a lil over zealous and stabbed me right in the meat of my left forearm. It didn't sting at first and felt more like just pressure as if hit. I guess that's because of the tension from the insertion of the blade. It did hurt after though a ton and a good bit of blood.

Other odd injuries...shot in left foot with spring loaded spear gun, buckshot in right knee (some still in there somewhere), punched in the face with a ringed fist which split my nostril detached and split to the left of my philtrum (got a bunch of stitches for that one), split my left elbow to the bone from falling while inline skating (jumped a small wall and landed way wrong), stepped on nails multiple times, cut my right shin open really good with a brush axe when it bounced off a tree while cutting brush, had a military grade smoke grenade blow out the top o-ring and go off in my right hand (it flared the core flame out the side burning thru a leather shooting glove and burned my right index finger to the bone in the inside area of the first joint. That hurt for a good 8 months after and took a good while to heal up. Now i have scar tissue there that runs vertical the finger's length), fell into a pile of barbed wire when bucked off a horse at a family friend's ranch. I know I'm probably missing several more. One that fortunately ended with me not being injured but a really scary situation was that I had about a 400lbs black bear decide it was ok to lay down on top of me when i was sleeping in a cot outside while at my grandparent's farm. To think of it now, I'm kinda a walking hazard.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    wow sucky man.

I always think it's funny how we'll instinctively grab for something what won't get damaged by a fall, but will easily hurt us by touching it (swords, hot pots & pans, porcupines.)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Worst blade related damage I've done to myself is slashing a nice deep cut along the side of my thumb with a modelling scalpel. Nothing particularly memorable. My brother, on the other hand, has impaled himself through the hand with a paring knife. He grabbed a teatowel off a bench. The knife was underneath and got caught on the fibres, resulting in it being launched into his hand. He also managed to hack the end of his thumb most of the way off with a chef's knife while cutting up a particularly tough pumpkin. They managed to sew it back together.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey man, sorry to hear it. I almost took my thumb clean off with a Ninjatō several years back. Thankfully I was able to keep the finger :)

http://www.xyfos.com/images/PaulChen/Practical%20Ninjato.jpg
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    PeterK wrote: »
    Hey man, sorry to hear it. I almost took my thumb clean off with a Ninjatō several years back. Thankfully I was able to keep the finger :)

http://www.xyfos.com/images/PaulChen/Practical%20Ninjato.jpg

Lollerskates, the legendary ninjato! Close call, man - if you're gonna slice off an appendage with a replica sword, you at least want it to be historically accurate :P
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a few swords (I teach Filipino stick and blade fighting), but keep those things locked away because I have a toddler now. Screwing around with a sword that you don't know how to handle is just a notch below screwing around with a loaded gun that you don't know how to handle on a general stupidity meter. They are both weapons designed to kill people, and should be treated as such, and not just cool toys/decorations that kids and drunk friends (or drunk self) might get ahold of and start playing with.

I'm glad you're OK, but lesson learned. Be very careful with things designed to kill people.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Good thing you didn't injure the two fingers you actually need to operate a mouse, now get back to work slacker!
    To think of it now, I'm kinda a walking hazard.
    You're not allowed in my office anymore.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooray. Got the stitches out last Wednesday, now I have more pictures.
    DSC00325.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    googly eyes make everything better!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ouch - looks painful

I have lots of deep scalpel cuts from when I was an airbursh artist.
    not quite as bad as that though.

yeah if you are going to cut through mounting board to frame your artwork, use a stanley knife, not a surgical scalpel with a curved blade. makes more sense:O
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch.

When I was about 10, I spent the night with a friend. We decided to check out his brother's sword collection. I touched the blade of one. It cut me. I touched, just touched, and it fucking cut me. The fucking sword fucking cut me. It was a small cut, but WHY?!?!?!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're meant to do that, you know. But yeah, a friend of mine has quite the collection (or had, I think it's up in some attic somewhere), and some of his swords were ridiculously sharp. Surprisingly sharp, I should say, since it did err.. surprise me, a few times. Given how I did muck about with them at parties every now and again, it's a miracle nothing bad ever happened.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I think you just created the word "Fidiot" :)

Are you going to cut your other fingers to match them up?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'm jealous of your sharp swords. All I can afford are crappy, dull, rat-tail tang swords from Pakistan.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    you should also keep those metal fingers.... always.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch! I almost cut through my left index finger as a child with a knife. I was not scared much at the time but it freaks me out when I think about it now. I could see the bone split in two. lol that's why I don't like swords etc. I guess.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ow. I had this
    finger.jpg
    from a tomato dicer.

At least you're healing swiftly. :)
  • seanv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was carving wood once slipped and woke up about a minute later with my thumb bleeding. The shock of the stab knocked me out. Now I don't carve wood anymore. I still like wood though.

@Vailias: That could be an xbox ad.