Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: bcavett

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
Figured I'd start one of these to keep me on my toes and finish stuff. Critiques are welcome.

Trying to work on my drawing/painting skills lately to produce better concepts. I tend to rely on other peoples concepts as opposed to my own. I also need to work on my 3d skills (really rusty in that dept.) so I'll be making some of the stuff I post here into finished game assets.

Here's a merc idea I've been kicking around. Inspired by some of Mandryk's stuff and the post-apoc Rage trailers that have been circling about lately. He's sort of the rockstar of the local mercenaries for hire (trying to get a since of history in him) Still have a few more details to add to it but I can start the model in the meantime. The red cloth was a poor attempt at getting some more color in the piece. I always have a problem with my paintings being to monochrome.

merc_concept_ver1.jpg

Replies

• kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. It is communicating what you talked about fairly well.

The grip on the knife is a bit awkward. Either the wrist is a little off, or the angle that the knife comes out of the hand is. For the knife to go straight down you'd have to twist your wrist as far down as you can (or at least that's what it takes to get my pen into that position), or it should be at an angle.

The gun seems a little high. It shows off that it's a gun well, but if you reach behind your head it's hard to grab something that high. Not sure if those are the kind of things you'd want to think about for your concepts, but it's what occurred to me.

This should be a great thread to watch develop :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Really digging the concept so far.
    If this comes out as good has the bat guy on your site, you'll have a winner :)
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Neat stuff Bryan!
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Great start, I'll definitely be watching your stuff. I've seen the first guy on your site before, glad to see you working on your concepting, you're models are great!

I like this concept, but here are my crits:
    Listen to everything Kary said :) Also, the shadow looks a bit off on the ground, and I like the idea using the red sash to add some color, it works, but it just looks pasted on right now, you could spend just a few more minutes and make it look like it's tucked into his pants.

Just nitpicking, though, it looks great!
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the critiques. I've uploaded a new image replacing the other, polished a few things and added some detail. I should really render the other leg but its late :P (probably update it tomorrow with a more finished leg)

Kary: Very valid points. I've cleaned up the gun and angled it so its a bit lower. The knife was a good crit as well but I didn't change it. Just tweaked the colors but not the position. I'll worry about it in the model when I pose him.

hobodactyl: Yes the shadow is such a hack but I don't mind it for the purpose its serving in the concept. Hope the sash works better with the belt and belt buckle.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    Whar's the new pic? Doesn't look like the old one got replaced; I wanna see that belt buckle :P Really looking forward to watching you make the character, make sure to put plenty of progress shots for us nubs!

EDIT: See it now; nice!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    yes! very nice. Can't wait to see some new work from you. :)

- BoBo
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Can you describe your process of generating the concept(painting it!, yeah I know, I just mean your methods) because I really like style and slick look of it.
  • obson
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    nice work, I'm a fan of your 3d stuff. Look forward to seeing more.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm currently working on my base mesh... I'll post it soon.

Bobo: Really enjoyed your workshop presentation. I should of said hi to you but I never got a chance to :(

Murdoc: I cant say I really have a process for this stuff yet :) Most of the time I stop at something really abstract that I can only make sense of. Thats why I'm trying to improve my skill set in this dept. Doing a lot of studies and finding reference helps a ton.

But the process for this piece was basically this:

1. Throw some blobs down in black and white and try to find interesting shapes by erasing to create silhouettes.

2. Get some quick light and dark values down to bring out the shapes.

3. Add a white layer on top and set it to low opacity. Add another layer and start your clean line drawing of the shapes.

4. Remove the white layer and begin to add color and render.

5. Repeat step 4 and refine until you get the polish you want.

Also working at a higher resolution and dpi helps when doing the intricate stuff.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a start. I have a few more base meshes to make like the shoulder pad, strap across the chest, hair, gloves, and weapons. Once I get those done I can really get cranking on the details.

and yes I know the boots are intersecting :) and the hands are crap at the moment... totally wip!

merc_hi_01.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    wow. loving it! how much is sculpted and how much is modeled?
  • onelung
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    The great Cavett returns! Looks like you got a good base goin man, those abs/ rib cage are freakin crazy atm , but it's early wip so i'll stop harassin ya :) It's kinda weird since your cocnept's proportions are a tad off with the lower half feeling a good bit longer than the rest. I would say your concept definetly looks wider than this fellow as well. Boot laces are pretty wide, don't think if they were tied they'd be that wide across the shoe. You definetly hit the really long jaw, can't wait to see the next update. What's takin you so long?! :)
    .... btw, it's awesome to see you bustin stuff out again man, seriously pumped!
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far, man! The jacket wrinkles are awesome :)
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    not a lot of work but heres a crappy update. lots more to do. The torso sucks... been neglecting it and working on other parts. Doing tests on the hair to... so dont mind that :)

thanks onelung and hobodatyl.

bitmap: Everything had a pretty simple base mesh so I would say its more sculpted than modeled.

merc_hi_02.jpg
  • wim
    Wauw looks nice, I love the drawing btw. I'm glad you smoothen out the abs, the jaw is still big, but probably an artist vieuw. do you have a base mesh or somethink?
  • Dakkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Nice! The abs do draw most of the attention in the model for me, but that might be intentional.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great Bryan, maybe change the nose a bit on the model to match up with the concept? Looks good either way.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    this is absolutely great, but i think theres something funky going on with the sternomastoid(sp?). maybe thats intentional as well? but awesome work, great use of edging cornering
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hmmm why is his bellybutton touching his belt?(is that a bellybutton?) somehow I think there should be a set of 4 abs under the ribs and then the bellybutton and then the other 2 abs below that?

really enjoying the character though :)
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    nice start on the model man ! Nice details all around :)

My only concern is about the general proportions. I would make the head a little bit smaller and I'd longer a bit the arms. I did a small test in photoshop and it seems (for my taste) to work better ;)

Anyways, great start !!