Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

root's one lonely wip thread

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
root polycounter lvl 17
I have a really bad habit of skipping from one shiny thing to the next without finishing anything ever and this isn't really conducive to like, getting a portfolio done or really ever having anything to show off, but rather than having a new thread for each thing I'm working on I think I am just going to keep all my p&p stuff here.

After lurking through all the mod facade threads and reading all the excellent stuff that's been posted lately on working with modular construction I thought I would get back on top of a couple of buildings I started a bit ago and never got around to finishing, both of which lend themselves to modular construction pretty readily.

item the first, an urban loft:

loft1.jpg

item the second, a california-style mission (drawing visual cues from the San Juan Bautista and Carmel missions, since those are the two within reasonable driving distance from me):

mission2.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Well...the building seems low poly and rather modular...I think the arches and the nig window in the interior should have a bit more geo defined...so far it looks very polygonal.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh you said nig. hihih
    joking.lol
    yeah i would add more segments to the arches
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I've been in the process of busting this thing up over the last few days and I'm starting to get the feeling that this project is kind of stupidly ambitious for where my skill level is. I think modularizing it is a bit more of a pain in the ass than it maybe has to be because I wanted the thing to have an interior as well as an outerior.

mission3.jpg

I also went ahead and made highpoly cages for all of these pieces and then found out that maybe I should have made sure that my lowpoly stuff all fit together first before I went and wasted all that energy on stuff I'm going to have to go back and fix now.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    some of it should be modular for sure, but things like the facade of the church probably don't need to be. The Belltower probably doesnt' need to be either.

You can certainly reuse the geometry from one side of it on the other sides, but that's about the extent of it.

The project is probably not too ambitious, you just need to take baby steps. Build one sectino at a time, and get it looking right on the outside
    then, once you're happy outside, move inside.