Home General Discussion

Character and Enviroment freelance fee's

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
One of my friends that i know is trying to make a game/mod to see if he can sell it to publisher i dont know his whole world domination plan yet but he asked me if i could post this so he can consider what kind of game he wants to make.

There are alot of talented artist on these forums so i know alot of you guys do contract work and wouldn't mind tell me how much these would cost someone to make.

if you could tell me how much you would charge for this kind of character from start to finish of the model that would be great.

Characters:

Somthing like the crysis nano suit:

http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Wallpapers/Wallpapers/US-Nanosuit-01-Wide.jpg

how much you guys charge for something of that quality? and would it vary from model to model?

for environments I know its tricky because unlike character theres huge differences in sized and scope of some environments but heres 3 different sizes:

Simple Props:

http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/services/Work_2006/Work_2006/042_image.jpg

http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/services/Work_2006/Work_2006/023_image.jpg

More complicated props:

http://www.streamline-studios.com/images/stories/gallery/unreal-tournament-3/UT3-b2-art-engineering-29.jpg

http://www.streamline-studios.com/images/stories/gallery/unreal-tournament-3/UT3-b2-art-engineering-12.jpg

http://www.streamline-studios.com/images/stories/gallery/unreal-tournament-3/UT3-b2-art-engineering-9.jpg

So if you guys didnt mind posting how much you would charge for props and character of that caliber it would be great thanks, My friend just wants a price range to negotiate with.

- Arman

Replies

• Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mando Magic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,

I am an employed 3D Environment artist working in Colorado. You friend can e-mail me if he is interested in negotiating prices for free-lance work. He can view my portfolio at www.armandodurruthy.com.

- Armando
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Armando ( I like your name :P ) right now my friend wants to see how much people usually charge so he can try to get pricing for the Art Assets he needs, so when he does start looking for some Artists to complete tasks, He will have a btter understanding of what people usually charge so he can negotiate the rates better.

thanks for your interest and ill make sure to forward your portfolio to him for future use when he starts looking for freelancers.
  • Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mando Magic polycounter lvl 11
    No problem.

As far as rates go, it's a little bit if a touchy subject to speak about on a public forum like this. It's hard to do because you don't want to under cut anyone else's rates or piss off the wrong people. The game industry is a small world in which everyone know everyone in a "Kevin Bacon - Seven Degrees of Separation" kind if way.

One piece of advice that I can give your buddy, is that he needs to figure out what kind of budget he will have if he hasn't already done so. Once he is aware of how much financial backing he will have at his disposal, he can figure out how many assets he will need and how to price the production of those assets accordingly.

Unfortunately, professional work and quality is not cheap. Depending on whether your buddy will be paying hourly or per a prop/project, it will run him a pretty penny. Or he can try and get a "MOD" group going on a "spec" basis (free labor) and pay them accordingly once the project has been purchased. Students and aspiring artists are the perfect source for this type of project.

Again, your buddy can e-mail me anytime if he is interested in knowing how much I and the guys at my studio charge. I hope that helps!!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember, back when people did mod work for the love of doing the work...
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »

yep. Shit
    I remember doing 20 hours straight redoing enviros after a hakpak update for NWN1. LOL good times.

http://www.dormaeglin.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php

quick plug.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    LOL God knows why, but the site for my first mod project is still up!

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/serioussam/pro-pain/maps.html
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When I was doing freelance before working @ Threewave I'd make/charge anywhere from $100-1000 depending on the prop. A bicycle model used in an action/adventure game, for example, landed me with +$350. It was around 600 triangles, 512x texture space and I only had a couple days to get it and a few other props done.

That help ?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    About 4 or 5 years ago I was doing some freelance PS2 work and a single unrigged model with diffuse texture maps was $2100.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops seems I should up my rates a bit.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    For those example props, I'd say 100 - 1000 dollars is about right, depending on volume of work. A single elaborate fountain might be close to 1k$, but with a contract to do 20 or so of them, 500$ per elaborate asset might be fine, since there would be some reuse of decorative bits and there would be a streamlined production flow doing that many similar objects.
    Some of those examples are pretty cool. I'd be happy to make some stuff like that on a contract basis.
    My guesses are assuming modeling and texuring in a polished, next-gen style, and assume that concepts already exist.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, lucrative.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9

Yep.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on a few things, namely:

• Art Style, is this a cartoony rts game, or is it an photoreal shooter?
    • Model complexity, not every model is created equally, you could expect to charge a lot more for a BFG, than a simple shotgun, and even less for say a pistol, just because its a weapon doesn't mean it would be the same rate regardless.
    • Specs, if you need to have 2048 normal/spec/diffuse and a 5000 poly mesh you're going to be charging a lot more than if its a 1500 poly mesh with a single 512 diffuse.
    • Your own talent and experience, if you've got the work to show, and experience under your belt to back it up you'll be able to get better rates.
    • The company you're working for, chances are you'll be able to get a better deal working with an established company than you would working for a small time startup or independent developer.
    Now these are all very important factors you must consider with every job, and at the end of the day, if you know all of this info you should be able to calculate how long the asset will take you, add a bit more time for revision/reworking to the clients liking that will inevitably be needed. And set an hourly rate, dependent on your cost of living, what you think you work is worth, etc.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

I remember, back when a mod team was 5 or 6 people and the art work was done in a month or 2.

Times change, man :) Artwork takes a lot more energy these days... and these days, energy = $. Why would I help a mod team for free and love it when I could outsource my skillset for money and still love it?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of experienced contractors will handle billing something like this:

Figure out hourly rate. For example, say $60/hour. (could be lower or higher).

Next, estimate time that it will take to make the object in question. (You should really know what you are doing here.) At a glance, I'd say those simple props would take between a few hours to a day and a half. The more complex ones would probably take 3-5 days.

Next do the math.

Simple prop taking estimated 2 hours at $60/per = $120.
    Complicated prop taking 3 days/24 hours = $1440.

If in doubt, round up. Limit client in number of revisions passes.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    A jillion dollars per asset. Blame it on gas prices.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    In film, prices are definitely higher...if not at an astronomical rate.

Also it depends on the hours too sometimes...some people charge accordingly, it is nearly impossible to get a busy and accomplished artist to produce something without being compensated for that (Duh).

I do some work, you pay me some money.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    If you really want to make bank for doing nothing, start doing 3d contract work for advertising/marketing companies. They know absolutely nothing about the 3d/FX business, and large corporations will just hand them hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars to run a marketing campaign. They'll budget maybe a third of this money for the costs of producing content, which can mean a big chunk of change especially if its easy work.

Several companies I've worked for have landed gigs like this. For maybe one artist's week of work it's not uncommon to make $20,000. I've heard of even more ridiculous sums being made.

The problems with dealing with some of these marketing firms is that they are entirely clueless. They might budget $40,000 to show some boxes and spheres flying around for a few seconds, or they might budget $40,000 for 30 seconds of 6 talking characters in three different environments with a bunch of effects. Either way, they want the project turned around in 2 weeks.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    LOL God knows why, but the site for my first mod project is still up!

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/serioussam/pro-pain/maps.html
    Holy shit, dude! You worked on Pro-Pain? I'm in Game Club and we still have the poster up for that project!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

The Joker is clearly a freelancer :)
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    I've probably employed around 60 *freelance* (not studio) contractors in the last year for art, audio, and code, and the standard practice we used was basically get their hourly rate which is usually variable based on experience, and sometimes project, rush/not rush, etc. I've noticed most people always seem to value themselves fairly though.

Once the contractor gave the hourly rate I'd ask them to bid on the project, which basically meant, how many hours do you think project X would take them. Once they had time to evaluate it and let me know how long it'd take, we'd sign a Personal Services Agreement guaranteeing X Hours at X Hourly Rate. I'd always have a safety clause that said, if the asset wasn't finished in X hours, we'd renegotiate the contract at that point once the money went out. I'd always put a motivator clause in, saying if the contract was finished before X hours, I'd still pay the full amount for the original quote as a bonus. Oddly, I've never had to renegotiate a contract, but I'm sure it's just luck and picking good people (polycounters included). :)

Contracting art houses is a whole other beast though, and usually involves a few rounds of negotiations, minimum price, covering costs, yada yada. I'd highly avoid going that route for a mod. It's good for professional studios who need to contract a lot of artwork, but not really for small stuff.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys helped my friend out a lot also gave me info about how much i should charge:

I was recently contracted to texture 2 rts models, they were both unrwrapped and everything i was givin two days, i got payed 200 for both of them you think that was a good amount? they were both really blocky and not too complicated.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    armanguy, if you want to know how well paid you were, find out how many hours it took you and see what your hourly rate was. If its below 20, then its not a very good freelance wage (imo)
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    armanguy, if you want to know how well paid you were, find out how many hours it took you and see what your hourly rate was. If its below 20, then its not a very good freelance wage (imo)

thanks for the reply ill give it a go :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    aesir wrote: »

20 what? Dollars? Oh man that's really bad then! I normally wouldn't start below 40 which is like 25 Euro an hour.
    how much you guys charge for something of that quality? and would it vary from model to model?

depends on the company i'm working for, say it's ubi or ea, the price will be higher then for a small local company. And of course the price could vary between different chars, but you can also make package prizes, like building 10 Chars for X $ some might be easier to do then others so it'll sum up later.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    depends on the company i'm working for, say it's ubi or ea, the price will be higher then for a small local company.

why is that? i would say same quality is same price no matter which company. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I remember, back when a mod team was 5 or 6 people and the art work was done in a month or 2.

Times change, man :) Artwork takes a lot more energy these days... and these days, energy = $. Why would I help a mod team for free and love it when I could outsource my skillset for money and still love it?

Yeah times change and people forget what words mean.

I guess to me (and the dictionary) "mod, modification" means something different. I don't see the terms "new game" and "mod" as interchangeable for what this person plans to do.

To me mod means you take an existing game, and change it slightly, but pretty much the core game is recognizable. Like a football map for TF2, some code needs to be written some art needs to be made but basically its TF2 with a new spin. That's a mod. People should do that stuff for free and not whine about not getting paid.

What he's talking about is becoming an indie developer, license an engine and create a totally new game not make a mod. For that type of work I would expect to get paid, upfront and none of the royalty sharing BS most indie's pull. I'd expect royalties but NOT as the only source of payment. You don't get a model until someone gets paid.

I wasn't trying to say that people should be doing this work for free. If it ribbits like a frog, maybe its not a duck? If he runs around calling it a duck people are going to either think he's simple and doesn't know what hes talking about or be surprised when they signed up for one thing and are now doing something else.
    Either way not a plan for success...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    fade1 wrote: »
    why is that? i would say same quality is same price no matter which company. ;)

there are jobs you do because you like them and there are jobs to earn money, it's easy as that, fun jobs that you like are great but i only have like 2 projects a year with these terms so from time to time i just have to earn some money to pay myself for the smaller fun projects, indi gameproductions just don't have the money a client like ea has