Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ZBrush Self-Improvement

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
Yo guys! I'm trying to get better in ZBrush so I thought I'd track my progress in here, as well as get some good critique/suggestions! My goal is to eventually get good at fine detail

Doodle torso done at work (had nothing to do) made from a cube
The clavicle is flatter now, by the way
Torso1WIPSS1.jpg

Zombie sculpt I started working on, figured I'd give it a quick pose for fun. I'm currently retopologizing it (the actual sculpt isn't finished yet, though)
Done from super average man
ZombiePractWIPSS5.jpg
It's kind've iffy at the under arm I think, but it seems to deform fine
ZombieRetopo2WIPSS4.jpg

Replies

• bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Could you answer a couple things....

Are you going for realistic anatomy or a stylized/exaggerated look to it....right now its hard for me to tell. After about 5 plus years of lifedrawing and studying human anatomy I can say Ive never seen a single ribcage that looks like that in my entire life. It looks more like something out of Blade....which as I said if you're going for that look then by all means I guess it works. My only suggestion would be to find some better reference and or get your hands on a couple good anatomy books....ie hogarth, bridgeman, or loomis are all good starts
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    The rib cages in both of these aren't meant to be realistic, was going for a warped macabre-type style
    Thanks for the input and I'll take a gander at those books

Found an online scan of a book, skimmed through all of it, seems pretty interesting
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/334333/Constructive-Anatomy
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    cool cool....everything else is looking alright, good start so far
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    The Incredible Bulk!
    TheIncredibleBulkWIPSS3.jpg
    TheIncredibleBulkWIPSS4.jpg
    Still have quite a bit of work to do

And there's a reason he has 4 fingers
    Behold, yee old cartoon (it wasn't an independent one, it was kind've a branch-off of Dexter's Laboratory)
    Justice_Friends_intro.JPG
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    looks like your completly ignoring the legs.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Or I haven't really gotten to them yet :P Thanks for pointing it out anyway, though
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    his names Krunk

looks like you completely ignored the concept as well!

it looks much more like just a goofed up hulk model now. with 4 fingers,, you've lost all the cartoony to it. head should be lower than his back, wider crazy jaw. you can make something realisticly cartoony if you want to, but you are not achieving this currently.

i would be far more impressed if you modeled him nice and smooth and cartoony

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=039886

sure that was started in LW, but still. everything you do in zbrush does not have to be ultra real muscles sinew and junk.

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=038304

branch out
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I know his name's Krunk :P I just think "The Incredible Bulk" sounds funny XD And I always thought of the justice friends as a parody of the Justice League
    Krunk mainly just gave me the idea for doing this. I'll make a cartoon version along to go with this, but I want to make a more realistic version of it as well (which is this current one).
    This is an experiment for work. We're thinking (as in we might not do it) of optimizing it for milling, milling it out, piecing it together, hard-coating it in plastic, priming it, and then painting it. So seeing how much detail we can fit in is part of this experiment
    We're hoping to make it 6 feet tall... but I'm not sure we will, as that'd take up some resources

Thanks for the suggestions and critique!
    And how would I make a "realistic" cartoon? I'm guessing that'd mean like over exaggerated, stylized proportions and stuff (like with what you said about the jaw)

Does this, so far, look better?
    TheIncredibleBulkWIPSS7.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    i'm by no means a good artist,but i do have some crits on your model.

Right now it looks like he is bending forward.
    His upper arms look really short.

TBH i think this would look better i you would just make a low poly version with a simple diffuse and without normal maps. On your reference he doesn't seem to have detail that would need a normal map.
  • Rota626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rota626 polycounter lvl 17
    I would do something like this :

theincrediblebulkwipss8ds7.jpg

Just a quick paintover, with the proportions I would do.
    Hope you find it usefull.

Rota
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    by gum, he's right.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the paintover, dude!

More noobness from me
    Update on the torso thing
    Torso1WIPSS6.jpg

Spud Man
    Early WIP
    SpudManWIPSS1.jpg
    SpudManWIPSS2.jpg

I'll get working on Krunk again soon
    And sorry about not posting in awhile. I was at band camp

Edit...

Well, in this chatroom over at another site, I got engaged in a discussion with another modeler about anatomy. They thought that if something didn't match up with human anatomy, it was just wrong. In other words, my models were just wrong. In my opinion, it depends. Was the difference intentional or unintentional? What was the person trying to achieve? Etc.
    Just thought I'd vent that out :P