Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

some kind of building

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
since i am very lazy in my freetime ithink i have to show this in here to get it done
(because of critique and stuff, and people kicking my ass finishing it)
what ive got so far is a tilable set of windows, maybe i should reduce the polygon amount of the ledges and keep the detail with a normalmap or something
and i need some advice in color choice im still pretty unsure about that
wallwire0000mm7.th.jpg
wallsb9.th.jpg
(some put together test)

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think anyone can really give you "advice" for color choice. It really depends on what you are aiming for. Just google images for facades and see if there's any colors you like I guess?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You actually are wide open for colors. I can see it being a white marble type building or red brick with white trim.

This would be great with a set of skins for a game. If the building base was red brick you could easily reskin it in editor as blue brix, etc... Same with trim.

I think you should add window trim to the square windows though. MAybe even around the arched one. But the square ones look like you got lazy and didn't want to add detail so made them to fill the whole area.

I think it's a cool style though.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, i made the square windows first, i thought about library windows or something making it

do u think i should make them smaller?

like this?
    wallas4.th.jpg
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arch windows look too low poly to me i think you could add in a few more polys and get a nice arch without being wastefull.

You may be able to imply more detail for the windows with normal maps. As for color think about the types of materials used to make the building. Is it stone, brick, stucco, cement or plaster?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this based on some concept or design?
    achitraaf.gif
    I don't know what these parts are in english so I couldn't find a picture of it, this is dutch but pixels don't speak languages. What columns do is transfer vertical load to the base, I'd suggest making a pretty sturdy base that doesn't look like the part that goes ontop so it doesn't confuse you.
    How you got them placed now, they are not very functional and you're missing out on giving it extra depth. Going by the picture, making your "architraaf&fries" go over the platform of the column makes it feel good constructively and breaks it up visually too.
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    in english: (Actually probbaly greek or latin really but this is what they are called in english as well.)

Kroonjist=Cornice
    Fies=frieze
    architraaf=architrave

All of these are elements always associated with "classical" architecture. You can google those to get some ideas.

actually one step further heres a visual referance

scan0005dj8.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    as far as color choices and other cosmetic details like that I say trust your instincts and do whatever feels right. In my opinion one of the best ways to learn is trial and error and just learning by yourself over time....no1 can really TELL you what looks good or what doesn't, I believe you just need to develop an eye for it
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress:
    wallne7.th.jpg

the columns are just a frame for the window, as i thougtl...^^
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the widow size is fine. I think they look better now with a full frame, seperates them from the wall.

I think the points made about the columns are good. Would probably look better with that top trim above the columns than hidden behind. Would make more archi-sense too.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The windows look a little bit "frosted" once you get further along should paint in some curtains....is there gonna be a full building though?

I see nothing but windows as of now...
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still didn't get it
    i mean there is no top atm, so where to put that?

@pilang:
    im working on a door too *G*
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    arrangemonk: I like the style of the building, but you should consider making the top windows more polygon rich and curved, the low poly arch is not really a good place to save polygons. A few more verts in there can give the illusion of a nice curve.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i already did that, but i forgot to post here, here is the whole set like it looks now
    wallbh0.th.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gggkopie2vg2.th.png
    put together it looks like this, but i think i have to add some dirtplanes to make it look less tiled
    there is stil alot to do^^

gggkopiewj5.th.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good. What I meant about the top thing...

The white stripe above the window should actually be a 3d piece that sticks out and 'caps' the columns. Then the next higher set of columns would set on that. There would be bricks above the window and under the white piece.

I think that would make it look closer to 'real arch' that was in those pics others posted. It would also help break up the very strong vertical lines and add a little more horizontal.

I think it would also give a little more room to 'squeeze in the floor and ceiling'. Right now it seems like it might be a really thin ceiling/floor to fit betyween the windows and not have the windows all the way to the floor if you were inside.
    Plus it would make it look like the column were supporting the seperate floors. Currently they just look like they support other columns (and eventually the roof)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gggkopiecy1.th.png

another update, i hope that is what you meant^^
    i still need to add the dirt to the model, (atm its hand painted on the shot *G*-> fake)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, pretty close. I actually meant just using a plain 'block' of white. I almost mentioned that but didn't.

I think if the lower 'horizontal' pieces were more plain it would make the final trim up top stand out more. I know you're doing the modular thing, so not sure if you want to have an extra piece that's more plain but I think it would help.

After looking afew times I think the same 'trim' on the foundation shouldn't be there.

I like the tex choices, I think they fit the style really well.

I like the pillars by the stairs but they almost make the door seem crowded. Guess it'll depend on the doors.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i live in a house with trims, and normaly the lower ones are more detailed...
    but changing the detail means rework the uvs^^
    i think, i have to finish the entrance before thinking about the trims

update : everything is textured, but there is still no door^^
    chestgk9.th.png