Home Technical Talk

noob question about unrealed

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
ok so i tried importing my own mesh that i made from 3dsmax, i have it unwrapped and i applied a sample texture to it just to c if it works:
2704822260_ce131998ca.jpg?v=0

it came out fine but whenever i play the map it doesnt show:

2703998397_16d87b9d94.jpg?v=0

does anyone have an idea of what i may be doing wrong??

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    did you do a rebuild? on lights and stuff.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    save the package.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do i save packages?
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, save the package.

Uhhh I do it every day but never really think about it. I think it's right clicking on the package name and selecting save?

I can't believe I don't fully remember how to, the things I take for granted...
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    If you import everything into MyLevel (a virtual package that means all resources are saved into the map file itself) then you just need to do a full rebuild, and save the map.

Also, if you're using MyLevel, don't save off to a separate file called 'mylevel.usx' etc, it'll be saved within the actual map file itself.

If you are going to make a series of meshes to use over several maps, save them off to named files from the mesh/texture browser itself, and each time you reopen to the map make sure you click the 'load entire package' (don't have UED open, but I is a little button with several stacked white pages) button - I've lost many objects from packages by re-saving the package and not opening it in full.

What happens is, when you load a map, if you have meshes A B and C, but the map only uses C, when it loads the mesh package, all you will see is C, but not A and B, so consequently, when you save the package, it purges A and B from the package! This is handy if you want to tidy up/purge items from a package, but frustrating if you weren't prepared for this behaviour!

Good luck, look forward to seeing more meshes. :)
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet! thanx alot ive got it fixed now, just hope something doesnt go wrong :P
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    JohnnySix wrote: »

If you are going to make a series of meshes to use over several maps, save them off to named files from the mesh/texture browser itself, and each time you reopen to the map make sure you click the 'load entire package' (don't have UED open, but I is a little button with several stacked white pages) button - I've lost many objects from packages by re-saving the package and not opening it in full.

UE3 won't let you save if you don't fully load the package. It also won't let you partially open the package like 2.5x did. Although he's using 2004...
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm.. how do i create my own package??
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you import something(texture or mesh) it asks you for package name. type in the package you want to create.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh nice, thanx. ive been modeling all my meshes in 3dsmax right now and ive made 3 seperate packages for them, but now my teacher wants me to only work with one package. is there a way to put all my meshes into one new package without having to recreate my level?? and how do i rename my meshes?