Home Technical Talk

Need more ram

Ok. so i need more ram. I currently only have 2 gigs and its starting to show how much i need some more.
THe problem is that i dont now nothing about ram and shit like that, so i wanted to ask you for your opinion on what should i buy.
I have a core2duo E6600 with a 8800gts and vista 64.

edit: is this any good?

G SKILL DDR2 PC2-6400 4GB PQ SERIES DUAL CHANNEL (2x2GB)
4 GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) 5-5-5-15 Dual Channel.
70euros for 4 gigs.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    whats pc2-6400? Really you should get the max speed your mobo can handle, anything else is a waste. Also make sure you match the speed thats currently in your mobo or else everything will run at a slower clock speed. I just built a new system and i'm running ddr2 1066mhz, got 8 gigs for like $220, fucking awesome.

Anyway, as long as its not generic shit it will be fine, so g-skill, corsair, ocz, kingston, etc etc. just not cheap crap like patriot.

Also, make sure your mobo can support more than 4 gigs, i've got basically the same exact system as you and when i was shopping for mobos a lot of them only supported 4 gigs.
  • Pedro Amorim
    my mobo is a nvidia nforce 680i Sli.
    i also want like 8 gigs of ram. but i have no idea of tech specs and speeds of that shit.
    what did you get?
  • Pedro Amorim
    specs of my mobo:

Memory 4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets
    Dual Channel DDR2
    Maximum of 8GB of DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz SLI-Ready memory
  • Mark Dygert
    psst....
    bitmap wrote: »
    specs of my mobo:

Memory 4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets
    Dual Channel DDR2
    Maximum of 8GB of DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz SLI-Ready memory
    Thats the speed of your memory, I'll leave you to the maths...
  • Pedro Amorim
    bigger is better yeah?
    thats what she said
  • Mark Dygert
    The Mhz rating on your ram is like the Mhz/Ghz rating on you're CPU.

Faster is faster.

Your Mobo supports several different speeds, and it looks like it tops out at 1200Mhz. Like EQ said, if you put slower ram in with faster ram, it all runs at the lower speed.

So if you're running 500Mhz ram now and plunk down the extra cash for 1200Mhz, its going to run at 500Mhz and you just wasted cash. But ram being as cheap as it is, you might as well replace the Dino-Ram with 1200Mhz sticks and really get things movin.
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Also, if using Vista, you may need to upgrade to 64bit version in order to see more than 4GB system ram, I think the 32 bit versions lock out at 4GB and won't see anything above that.
  • Pedro Amorim
    i already use vista 64 thats why i need more ram also.