Backyard Style Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
timwiese polycounter lvl 9
scene10.jpg

scene10Wire.jpg

scene102.jpg
What is left to do:

- Another plant left to still put into the scene.
- The bricks need some dirtying up and maybe some dirt to trim between the edge of the bricks and the walkway.
- Add a grass to the outer area that looks good.
- Add a sky
- Effects like smoke from the chiminea, and a crisper glow from the lights.
- Need to add bricks to the outer trim near the fence, holding in the rocks that are on a textured plane there.
-Work on lighting and camera angles

What I think may need to be changed:
- The bricks are quite a lot of polys with how many there are of them I was trying to think of a better way of doing it, but couldn't think of anything efficient that would look good.

All Textures are 512x512 or smaller except the stone walkway.
So Far the scene has 9,129 polys total.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Replies

• pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Not too shabby!

Depending on how much focus will be placed on the fence, I think the crisscross details would work just as well as a single alpha plane, which will save you ALOT of polys that could be redistributed to some more vegetation, flower beds, fruit trees, tiki sticks ... etc (as the scene is looking quite bare to me). What you *could* do, is keep the fence now as you have it as a high poly version and bake the ambient shadows into a low poly version.

I also think you need to improve on the lighting. I'm no lighting expert but it just doesn't umph enough. I'll leave that advice to someone who knows what they're talking about in that respect :p

Great stuff sofar, keep going!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    ya, good start. I agree though, something between the lighting, and the textures is leaving everything very washed out, despite being kind of dark. . .

Can you post some of your textures?

The tiling on the grass is rather apparent, and I think your plants could use some more definition. But post the textures and we'll have a better idea of all of that.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scene11.jpg

Plant2Texture.jpgRocks.jpgShedTexture.jpgSolarLight.jpgTexture.jpgTexture1-1.jpgWoodChips2.jpgplantTex.jpgStonePath2.jpg

Here is an update of the scene, still plenty of work to be done.
    I have included some of my textures, I sized a few of them down.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    LOL! lose the lens flares, but much better colors in that render.

Your plants still seem kind of washed out. On your texture sheet it looks like the leaves you used are shiny, so the picture you took them from has a lot of reflection on top of the leaf, which is altering the true color a lot. I might try to find a different image to work from, or see if you can paint some of that reflected light out.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scale of the large rocks seems quite a bit too larger, and the mulch and grass textures really dont blend well at all. Those are the two most obvious things to me.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scene12.jpg
    scene12Daytime.jpg

I think I am pretty much done with this scene, unless anyone see's something that is ruining the scene.

I want to move onto something else, something a little more creative.

*edit
    I darkened the stone path way a bit in the daytime pic.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    The stones on the ground(dunno what you call them) are way too white, it looks like it has snowed.
    It looked better in the darker scene.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Overall there is a distinct lack of specularity/glossiness in all the textures.

Greatest considerations are directed towards the stone path - too noisy and undefined in structure - If this is a single static scene (or otherwise) model each stone independently, same goes for everything else.

The lighting needs work -In the night scene it looks too sharp in some areas and in others, near the shed, looks like some errors are occouring.
    - Check out 3 point lighting

*I know your saying you want to move on but if it were me I would stick with it till you have a great scene. I know there's lots of headbashing and frustration to be had but I see potential that hasn't been realised yet by you the artist.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It'd be cool to emphasize the depth of the scene by blocking out some neighborhood buildings as well...

And the rocks seems to have over sized grain...though noisy as well...
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greatest considerations are directed towards the stone path - too noisy and undefined in structure - If this is a single static scene (or otherwise) model each stone independently, same goes for everything else.
    And the rocks seems to have over sized grain...though noisy as well...
    I think I will model out some stone slab variations and place them in the scene, as I think it will produce a much less noisy version (rather then just using a flat plane with a normal map)
    It'd be cool to emphasize the depth of the scene by blocking out some neighborhood buildings as well...
    For my next project I was thinking of doing some modular building designs, so I think I will Incorporate a couple into the background of this and then add some depth to the scene.
    The lighting needs work -In the night scene it looks too sharp in some areas and in others, near the shed, looks like some errors are occuring.
    - Check out 3 point lighting
    The lighting I agree with needs some work but I am trying to get it to look realistic while at the same time have something that frames the scene well. I have researched the 3 point lighting and use it with some of my characters, but I don't understand how to apply it to a large scene, such as this, that is rendered at night with various light sources.
  • bp379
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim, this is B.

Man you already finished your second environment. Its looking really good considering how fast you finished this one.

Looking forward to seeing more in class.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim, this is B.

Man you already finished your second environment. Its looking really good considering how fast you finished this one.

Looking forward to seeing more in class.
    Hey B, its cool that you posting on here now too.

Yeah I thought I was finished with this environment but then I posted it here and got a lot of good suggestions so I am still working on it at the moment. I think there is a lot more potential to the scene so I am gonna keep working on it.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished this environment, I used a building I made to fill out the background. still thinking I maybe should have used some sort of depth of field with the renders. But I don't think it would have made a huge difference for the better.

RoofTopYard3Clear.jpg
    RoofTopYard4Clear.jpg
    RoofTopYard5Clear.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    MORE COLOR DAMNIT!!!!!! your fence and grass look pretty damn good and one of your plants, the lantern and garage are okay, but everything else is bright and milky like someone went apeshit with a bag of flour :P

your spec seems a bit blown out in areas too- maybe try adjusting the spec first, then your difuse, then one final time if needed to dial everything in perfect.

you should definatly save this scene for future use. It would be sweet to use it as a base for a zombie scene, or some giant sub terrainian worm scene, busting out of the ground. maybe a freaky space creature space crash, etc etc.

REALLY nice textures though. I`m getting the slight vibe that you took the photos for them?
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha... your slight vibe would be correct. Quite a bit of the objects are in my own backyard.

I can definitely work on the spec and diffuse a bit more and try to eliminate the milky white feel.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Nice work Tim. Think about spending more time on lighting for the night scene version and color theory in your ambient colors and textures. Yeah, tone down specular, rough up your border pavers and add weeds between and in foreground. 5% more. Good work as usual. Jim
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice nice nice, loving the lighting :smokin: The bg looks out of place, personally I would make some bushes/hedges/big trees, tweak global lghting with a tint and throw in a sunset or something.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I agree, its looking good but the bg does seem a little out of place. Like its the only house with a backyard in the middle of a city block.
    Keep it up.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet lighting!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I dig the add´s on the latest posts, I´m a bit worried about the wood tiling on the background, there´s a mark that make it too much repeating. Keep up the nice work! ;)
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    I think the milky look is coming not just from the textures, but also from the lighting. Im not sure how you're lighting it, but it looks to me like ambient occlusion ( dont kill me if its not ), either way, it looks like there is an overall blue ambient light lighting the entire scene, then the sun light is lit on top of that which is not accurate. The problem with doing that is the blue and the yellow mix and form a weird color shift on everything. Surfaces facing the sun should be yellow / white, then as surfaces face more and more away from the sun it should shift over to blue.

Not sure which software package you are using, but in Maya you can use an IBL Node or a Ball Environment Sphere, then plug an HDR image or a hand painted one into it, and tell the ambient occlusion shader to sample not just a "bright" color and "dark" color, but actually have it sample the HDR so you get color variation in the bright areas.

Just my two cents.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks like the render is getting gamma'd to hell. here's a try to de-gamma it in photoshop.. sadly I don't really know how to do it so it may not be correct. heh. left is old one.degamma.jpg
  • Barzahd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this looks great, my only crit is that the wood chips are far too white. The color of them makes it look like they were bleached or something, and it almost seems like the color would fit better for small stones than for woodchips. I would say to make them a closer color to the fence, though maybe a bit desaturated to give them some age.

Other than that, this came out great!