Home› Technical Talk

Can't move an object via keyboard entry? (max)

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Uh, did I press something? (the object isn't locked)

I can't move any object that starts in a negative position further negative without using the mouse.

Example. If a box starts at (-15,0,0) I can't type into the XYZ boxes in the bottom (-20,0,0) to move it 5 spots.

I can drag it with the mouse along the axis but I can't type any values in. I have to move the object to a positive spot and then type the coordinates in.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First question: Did you restart max?
    Second question: Did you restart your computer?
    First suggestion: Delete your .ini file (In max 9 and 2008 it is in your user directory (/user/Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\, previous versions in your install directory)
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Yes and I just tried deleting the ini file. No luck? (its max 2008 x64)

Hmm, this is bigger than I thought? I figured I pressed something accidentally on my keyboard.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah, I just figured it out. And its the stupidest thing.

I didn't realize that I wasn't highlighting the '-' by clicking the boxes. So it was putting in two -'s.

I just got a new keyboard so I'm getting used to it and figured I pressed something wrong.

Thanks though! :) probably a good tip with the ini file if something else comes up.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Are you using max2008? I've noticed that for whatever stupid reason, it doesn't select the minus symbol when you double-click the coord box. VERY annoying, as I use it all the damn time.