Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leolith

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
Been working on this one for a while now. Worked from my old DominanceWar III concept which back then I didn't get the time to complete the modelling.

This is how far I got with the hipoly. The body sculpt is at early stage and when done all the clothing parts on the armor will get some zbrush atttention as well.

For the lowpoly I'm aiming for about 10k tris.

Leolith_10.jpgLeolith_11.jpg
Leolith_12.jpgLeolith_13.jpg
Leolith_14.jpg

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some minor changes, then took it all into zbrush.

Leolith_15.jpgLeolith_16.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got my tablet and zbrush working together. Worked on the head this evening.

leolith_20.jpgleolith_21.jpgleolith_22.jpg

Also made a quick concept of the new Leolith yesterday.
    leolith_sketch.jpg

Comments and Crits always appreciated. Thanks for dropping by.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work today. Adjusted the face, refined the body and got started on the boots. :)

leolith_23.jpgleolith_24.jpgleolith_25.jpg
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work dude! This is looking like a very solid model, I really like what you've done so far. A few crits for you:

-The horns seem a bit odd to me atm. I'd expect them to be pushing through the skin on the head rather than sitting on top if it as they are now. That minor detail makes them almost look glued on to me.

-I'd expect her upper-arms to have a bit more muscle-mass to them, they seem very thin and frail compared to the rest of her physique. Especially for someone sporting those heavy-looking gauntlets.

-I'm not too sure about this one, but the neck seems a bit too long to me. Personally, I'd drop it down so the under-part of her chin is nearly resting on the highest neck-strap.

-Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing a demonic smirk facial expression modeled onto her. That's purely a personal aesthetic suggestion and I have no idea what your plans are for the face.

Just my $0.02 anyway man, I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any/all of it. Keep at it, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on her! :D
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteEagle wrote: »
    Nice work dude! This is looking like a very solid model, I really like what you've done so far. A few crits for you:

-The horns seem a bit odd to me atm. I'd expect them to be pushing through the skin on the head rather than sitting on top if it as they are now. That minor detail makes them almost look glued on to me.

-I'd expect her upper-arms to have a bit more muscle-mass to them, they seem very thin and frail compared to the rest of her physique. Especially for someone sporting those heavy-looking gauntlets.

-I'm not too sure about this one, but the neck seems a bit too long to me. Personally, I'd drop it down so the under-part of her chin is nearly resting on the highest neck-strap.

-Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing a demonic smirk facial expression modeled onto her. That's purely a personal aesthetic suggestion and I have no idea what your plans are for the face.

Just my $0.02 anyway man, I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any/all of it. Keep at it, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on her! :D
    Thanks for the reply!

I want the same effect on the horns as well, though a bit hard to define it on this subdiv level. Though I see now that perhaps the skin around should be sticking out more and surround the base of the horns tighter.

Yeah, looking back at my litle concept she does have thicker arms. One more to the fix list.

I've been thinking the same, but I can't really settle if I like it or not. Hm, I think though it would look better with a shorter neck so I'll fix that as well.

I was planning on doing the expression on the lowpoly. Experiment some on blendshapes. And then I can promise you a litle demonic smirk will be the kindest expression she will have. ;)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Shorter neck
    - Beefier arms
    - Redefined horns
    - New details on straps and clothing

leolith_26.jpg
    leolith_27.jpg

Thanks for watching.
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    I'm enjoying watching the progress of your model so far, but something about the armpit area is bugging me... I think it may be a little too low and elongated and should be brought up and out a bit more. I did a quick (and horribly inadequate) paintover to try and show what I mean.

leolithpaintoversmallqq3.gif
    ...shrugs are good for sagginess ;p

I do like the shape of her breasts though, naturally weighted and not overly perky. I just think they start a little low perhaps.

>^..^<
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm enjoying watching the progress of your model so far, but something about the armpit area is bugging me... I think it may be a little too low and elongated and should be brought up and out a bit more. I did a quick (and horribly inadequate) paintover to try and show what I mean.

leolithpaintoversmallqq3.gif
    ...shrugs are good for sagginess ;p

I do like the shape of her breasts though, naturally weighted and not overly perky. I just think they start a little low perhaps.

>^..^<
    I think I see what you mean. Looks good on the paintover, though I wonder how it works with the rest of the body.

Here's a shot without the metalparts. Does it still look strange to you?
    And btw, all small deformations here and there are made by the clothing and so on. I will fix that bump on the hip though...

leolith_28.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep returning to the face all the time. :P
    Also more work on the arms and clothing.

leolith_29.jpg
    leolith_30.jpg
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think her bust line is low. Also, the mid section of her torso is much too elongated and should be shortened up.

I've done another paintover for you, it may be a little bit on the extreme side, but shows what I'm trying to get at anyway ;)

leolithpaintover2pc8.gif

>^..^<
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    that paintover is right on the money imo.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you then. This will take some time to fix. :P
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    At first I didn't think the model was too great but as I scrolled down you made some real progress on it :) Looks like it's really shaping up - while the low bust-line isn't exactly a big anatomy issue(hey everyone's different, man) it would make the model more... attractive. Yeah.

Everything seems pretty good at the moment, but everything is symmetrical and the thighs feel like they could use a little lovin'... if you catch my drift. In case you don't get my point, I'd add a detail on the left or right thigh, maybe something that goes along the lines of the armbands you got goin' on there.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Id say the arms need to be atleast 1/3 longer.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir: Thanks for the kind words. I'm keeping it symmetrical for optimised UV map on the lowpoly, though I'm not sure were the seams will be, and look good. Asymmetry is always good though. Maybe she could have a seperate object on one leg or something.
    Anyways, need to get the base good first before thinking too much about details.

JohnnyRaptor: I think they'll be okey once I got the torso shorter. Will look into it though.
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Hm, I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you then. This will take some time to fix. :P

I'm guilty of "Elongated Torso Syndrome" myself, even on my current WIP... so I sympathize :S

AimBiZ wrote: »
    Anyways, need to get the base good first before thinking too much about details.

You don't find that too often on these boards... it's usually "Yeah, I'll do that with my next model..." ;)

Congratulations, I am impressed at your willingness to learn and improve here and now! :D

>^..^<
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't want her to look bad. She'd get mad. :P

This takes me back to drawingclass, where I got the hard lesson on how important the basics are. If something's screwed up on the base the finest details won't save it.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush's translate tool is a pain.

I've worked out my big list for today. Torso's shorter and all that.

Tomorrow I'll look into anatomy of the arms cause right now they aren't quite right, specially the side closest to the torso. I've found it hard so far to really understand that part of the arm since it seems so simple yet so complicated at the same time. Maybe I've missed something in the armpits.

Anyways, here's the pics. :)
    leolith_31.jpg
    leolith_32.jpg
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking tight man! Good luck with those anatomy tweaks. ;)

One thing that may or may not be worth mentioning is the shape of the foot-part of the boots. They seem a bit boxy to me, lacking natural foot-shaped contours along the sides of the boots.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteEagle wrote: »
    Looking tight man! Good luck with those anatomy tweaks. ;)

One thing that may or may not be worth mentioning is the shape of the foot-part of the boots. They seem a bit boxy to me, lacking natural foot-shaped contours along the sides of the boots.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll look into the shape once I get to the boots.

Thanks for your reply. :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how the arm looks now.
    leolith_33.jpg

Been reworking the shape of the boots. This is how far I got now. Hope it's not to rough to judge.
    leolith_34.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I would say the one thing really bugging me about this are the horns...they dont seem very natural the way they are sprouting out, and the way the skin is folding around the base....that area could use some work

otherwise, its not looking bad so far
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    I would say the one thing really bugging me about this are the horns...they dont seem very natural the way they are sprouting out, and the way the skin is folding around the base....that area could use some work

I'll look into them closer at the next subdiv level. They will get alot more attention.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    EricV wrote: »

I personally really like the crown-idea. Though, if anything, it could use a little more to spice it up and make it seem more natural.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got back on her again. Tried to get the face more realistic and worked more on everything kinda.

Leolith_10-1.jpgLeolith_11-1.jpgLeolith_12-1.jpgLeolith_13-1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This is shaping up nicely, it's got some cool details!

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of the more "realistic" face, I don't really think it suits this kind of character, I much prefer her face in this version:
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/AimBiZ/leolith_32.jpg

The face in the bottom right there is great, it's got a cool expression and a nice style, the new face is looking a lot more boring and masculine IMHO.

Shaping up really well though, keep at it!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    This is shaping up nicely, it's got some cool details!

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of the more "realistic" face, I don't really think it suits this kind of character, I much prefer her face in this version:
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/AimBiZ/leolith_32.jpg

The face in the bottom right there is great, it's got a cool expression and a nice style, the new face is looking a lot more boring and masculine IMHO.

Shaping up really well though, keep at it!
    Yeah, I also think the new one looks boring right now, but I want to learn to do a realistic face so might as well do it on this one. Would be cool if I managed to get it interesting as well.
    I've been studying other realistic models and notice they all look not really that interesting until they get their skin texture.
    Eyebrows does alot as well.

The face will be posed in the lowpoly though I'm still keeping my options open about giving her face a base pose.
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with Mop about the face, it had much more character before. Plus the new face doesn't match her ears at all, in my opinion. There is no point in having a realistic face if it doesn't match the way the rest of her body looks. But either way, this is coming along great and I can't wait to see it finished. :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I call the highpoly done for now. Don't have the time to tweak around all the time.

Will get started with the lowpoly ASAP.

I was thinking of giving her a black metal makeup. :)

Leolith_14-1.jpg