Home General Discussion

epic fail

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
today i called rtt in munich, to apply for a internship and totally forgot to mention my 6 years experience in modeling, surfacing and animating

certainly i didn't get the job (they offered me a job in the it sector to installcomputers and stuff which really sucks)

my brother who works there and told me to do the internship there, said "Du bist der Dummheit ihr Brezensalzer"(i can't really translate this, but "you're dum as hell" works ^^)

ok, this is my story of epic fail, anyone else wants to tell about something like that?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    not to worry, you were probably nervous. There will be other interviews
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed! You will do better next time.

But your story makes me wonder... did RTT see a portfolio of your best work?

If not, then that was your true mistake. A company should see your portfolio before you even talk to them. The portfolio is more important than experience.

I know you have good work, but I don't know if you have an online portfolio. It sounds like you might not. If that is the case, then please make one immediately. Just a simple website. I'll even host it for you, if you don't have webspace ;)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually i have no online portfolio...
    now i hnow what to do the next days^^
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Might as well add some icing next time with some portfolio updates....and obviously send that first as first impression.

Not too sure how a call firsthand would generate that much interest...
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Well, if you took the computer job there, at least your foot is in the door. Maybe you will have a chance to show off some skills at some point.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i talked to my brother later, he said, i just got the wrong operater on the phone.
    now he managed to talk to the other one and she said i should send an aplication via email
    with some work sampels (since then i worked on the portfolio, because i need one anyway)
    i think im fonished at 3 o clock or something

thanks for the suggestions
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    fail.jpg

obligatory fail image
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hey it could be worse, at least you got the job. Good luck. I'm sure they will let you transfer even if you have to wait.

Alex
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here is what i got so far for the portfolio, it isnt big, but it works^^
    http://home.arcor.de/arrangemonk/portfolio/Index.html
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Went to a job interview yesterday, only got 2 hours of sleep the night before. Completely zombiefied during the chat, didn't ask any questions. Didn't tell them what I wanted to work on, just said 'whatever's going'. Fail

They still liked my work a lot, but I was fucking hopeless.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Arrangemonk: Get rid of the photo on the home page. Not a good first impression (not that you are a bad looking guy just feels amateur). Then kill your 2d section altogether. If it isn't your best work don't show it. Your 3d section shows that you would be a competent intern and should get your foot in the door but lose the skull. Good luck.

- BoBo
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awe... that sucks. I hope things go better for ya.

In addition to what BoBo mentioned, I think you should ditch the font in the header image, its noisy and hard to read.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    work on the portoflio presentation, your thumbs are tiny and show reduced portions of the full picture, try to make them bigger and focus them on a nice and appealing part of each piece, also get rid of that header, hazard stripes suck, typo is hard to read too, try to make something more strict maybe, but at least more readable.
    sorry to hear about the interviews though, but with time you'll get more and more practice and experience with them and know what to say in specific situations :)
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    I would get rid of the "in construction" pages. Just have the 3D page as your front page. You can link other pages in after you've created them ;)

Also, maybe post a second image of the brick house... a detail image, so we can see the bumpmaps.

Also, consider re-rendering the house with more dramatic lighting. The lighting looks a bit flat.