Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HighPoly Practice, inspired by Kevin Johnstone's thread.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
First let me start off by saying i dont even know what this is... it could be a pillar, it could be a computer, it could be like a cooling unit... it can be anything, i just dont know. i was practicing.

Anyways it's amazing what a little bit of inspiration can do... i studied those pictures of his for a real long time. I was trying to figure out which pieces were separate, and how many different elements he used for just one piece...

I also tried to deduce how many times he re-used or referenced the same asset. Just by kind of "reverse engineering" his HP modeling method, i think that my skill in the HP to LP hard surface modeling has gone up a bit.

Thanks Kevin for posting your artwork and supplying all of us with inspiration. Your thread is invaluable. You have given us perspective on how much work and detail it takes to create a real next-gen art asset.

This is just my first attempt however, i plan on doing most of my hard surface stuff like this.. I learned a whole lot with this one. If u guys want me to post wires i will later.

HP.jpg
HP2.jpg
HP3.jpg
HP4.jpg
pillarbust.jpg

And Finally the Baking... it came down to approxamately 5,000 Tris total for the low poly

LP.jpg

Replies

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    nice work! i think its missing some construction details horozontally. You have alot of virtical connection details but not much in the way of horizontal. The bottom piece is kinda of lacking in details by comparison too. lowpoly came out nice. you might wanna go back with a 1px line and bump the finer details that got lost in the bake. for example the little latches up top almost get lost. a small boost of shadow around them will bring it back.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    hey you're right. I have no clue what the hell this is either. But who cares! Looks friggen sweet. You're starting to inspire ME now.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    it looks more like an engine :)

might be a little too much reused stuff though.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far. Can I see the wireframe?
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    If you're gonna do more, i'd really think of a purpose before you start modeling something... otherwise it will just look like a collection of random shapes and pieces.

It helps to look up references of something you want to do and say:
    And this is how this normal bathtub would look 1000 years from now, after the french took over the world, brought back some stability to it and reintroduced some backwards renaissance mentality into an otherwise very technological and ergonomic world.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    StrangeFate - ya i definitely agree. It's almost like i feel stupid showing this because i have no clue what it is. Anything I make from now on will have some kind of architectural or decorative purpose. thanks for the tip :-)