Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maschinen Krieger

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
Yes, i know its hard to read the thread name but there is no way arround it. The name comes from the master mind Mr. Kow Yokohama. He started to come up with these crazy ideas about some semi futuristic vehicles and armored suits. They began to be produced as a set that you could buy and put together.

Beeing a fan of Yokohamas designs, I set out on a journey to try to make one of his creations into 3D. So here is my tribute to Ma. K CRITS AND TIPS WELCOME!!!

SAFSComp.png

This is how "they" look in real life: (mine is a bit modded)

SAFStori1.jpg

Replies

• J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    how bout some wireframes?
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the wire frame pics. Right now Im gonna move on to the highpoly before i clean up the mesh.

wire.png
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    don't forget the elbows man!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    TBH I think you could get the same amound of detail with a 3000-poly mesh.

There are too many polygons which don't help defining the silhouette at the moment.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall: Well, im gonna do them in zbrush first, so i can achive that realistic cloth/folding look.

LEViATHAN: Yah, it could be probally done with a 3k, thats what i thought myself. Im not saying it cant be done but what i discovered as I started modeling is that the design has a lot of round shapes and cylindrical forms. I mean the whole design is rounded, so I thought that even though this is a nextgen model why not make it look solid. Dunno, i could probally go more lowpoly but i think im gonna clean up my mesh once the highpoly is done. Thx for the comments everyone!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say you need to pay much more attention to the shapes you model. The main things are here on your model, but as far as a depiction of the original design it's rather off. Simply rotate your model to match your reference pictures, and have a very quick glance. If an area gives you a weird feeling, that means you have to rework it.

It's tiny things mostly, but these should jump at you and keep you unsatisfied until you fix them...

Take that little connection box on the back, in which two tubes are plugged. The radius of the rounded corners are much wider in the original ; the box is facing up but yours is facing down ; also if you check the tube patch carefully you'll see that the original takes much 'tighter corners', then becomes completely straight.

It sounds like small details but fixing these until they are just about perfect will give you a better feel for the design, I think...
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right, there are some small things that bother me...I think im gonna have a better look, that idea with posing the suit in the direction of the photo might get it to work. Thx doc!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Beginning to take shape c0ldhands!
    I, too, believe that you should work on refining all the tiny details.
    Also, the shape of it feels less bulky than the reference. Feels thinner somehow, or maybe it's just my eyes decieving me. ^^

Anyways, keep it up man! Looking forwards to seeing more of this!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah, i have had a few looks at it and it looks like its less bulky. to be honest i dont see what is wrong...update to come soon, gotta work on that bulkyness :)
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, Im in some kind of dilema. This beeing the first time i do a really highpoly I just have a few questions; First off, do I lay down edge loops arround the corners before or after my highpoly is done? Sometimes a shape is really smooth when subdivisioned(like the main body frame) and if i add loops to try to keep the shape, the body then has these weird lines because of the loops I added....Im kind of confused about the technique, Ive done the highpoly over and over again now 3 times and I always screw it over(pardon my language)

Untill I practice my highpoly modelling here is the last update, comes packed with a pose now and elbows/knees.

Untitled-1.png