Home Technical Talk

tiling in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
been doing quite a bit of work in zbrush recently, ive got quite capable at sculpting etc but now im trying to get my head round doing tiling maps, im almost there but i have a few missing links in my workflow thatare somwhat stopping me dead.

my workflow
resize document to 1024x1024
- create plane
- subd to 1mill polys for 1024 map
- fill layer (this is maybe where im starting to go wrong)
- drop into projection master
- make pretty patterns,
- offset image to fill seams
- pick-up
- agggggggghhhh the mesh only contains the part of the screen filled by mesh befor filling the layer, not the fully tilable lovely thing ive just made.

basically what im asking is can you resize the mesh to fill the document extents or is there another way round this?

annoyingly this nearly a fantastic way to work........nearly

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Surely if you're just making a flat tiling texture you don't need to make a plane? you can just fill the 1024x1024 document and start painting. Use the @ key to drag the document around to make sure it's seamless.
    Then you can apply a "Normal Material" (the multicoloured one) and GrabDoc the image to save it as a normalmap texture, and apply a standard material and render to get AO/cavity map.
    You don't really have to use 3d model "Tools" or Projection Master or Fill Seams or anything. Just treat the document like you would with a Photoshop one. Use layers and stuff.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    ive just tried that ;-), and i have a few issues with it,
    1- i get a pixel wide seam down the sides ????? doesnt appear in the doc,
    2- id like a mesh so that i can render out other maps etc after like ao mat IDs etc
    3- i was hoping to render down to 3d tiled objects, say a cliff face with some undulation in it or a cliff edge, then patch these together and warp them in 3d package.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    you should be able to offset the map I think it's the ~ key that lets you do it, I forget. On thing you might be able to do is make the document seamless in photoshop then bring into zbrush. Maybe the zapplink might help I never tried it. Or you can just make a seamless texture mask and use that to sculpt in zbrush. Also you should be able to make an alpha of your document and then turn that into a 3d model not sure how good it will be though. It might be good enough.

Alex
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    ok cool, yeah its the tilde key, though for uk keyboards its the @ key for some un-beknown reason, that one stumpt us for ages

I still want to know though is there a way of making your full canvas 3d

thanks for the help