Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Everybody's 2nd Favorite Vampire ;P

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
hey all.. long time since i posted.. haven't done any personal work since DWIII.. so here's a little guy some may remember... from one of my favorite games of all time... still needs work tho.. i'm gonna paint up a spek map as well as rig him.. i'm also gonna try some things post production wise w/ his soul reaver.. the glowie sword that gets wrapped around his arm.. crits more than welcome.. peace

razmodelsheetvs3.gif

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm... 2028 Seems a bit much for the kind of detail you are getting in that model. We'd be able to more accurately critique the model with a flat-shaded and or edged view. (to better see the polygon distribution)

The detailing on the texture looks quite good. I would look into adding a bit more color variation into the texture, though. And I wouldn't be afraid to throw in a little more grit and grime into the texture as well. Right now he's looking a bit more stylized than he does in the games. Don't forget that Raziel comes from a very dark and brooding series. I noticed the veins you put on his tattered wings...nice touch.

Maybe add a little more variation in the thickness of his limbs as well. Thicken his forearms and calves, and make his elbows and knees skinier. Don't forget that this guy is supposed to be near-skeletal, so he's going to be really thin where there usually isn't much muscle.

I can't quite tell what is going on with his hair in the back. I'd either leave it short in the back, or have his scarf-thingie cover the hair. (as opposed the hair overlapping the scarf) Probably just a clipping issue you need to work on.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    cool crits Richard. yeah the polycount is actually 1104.. i tried keeping it fairly low and simplistic for easier rig work.. yeah, i agree his texture could use some grit.. there's actually a technique that i've seen on some people's low poly models.. the 500 or less group.. some kind of technique where the paint work looks purposefully pixelated.... and i'm not sure if it's just the low resolution they're using in their textures or if they put a last minute filter over the top of the texture.. but it makes it so that the renderer in Max cant smooth out the texture.. and on top of that i just think it makes the paint work look cool..

when i get home from work i'll put up some profile shots w/ some wireframes..

my intentions w/ the hair, however, were to have it flow out a little bit.. a little stylistic touch.. one thing i missed last night (and i blame the clock for turning 1 am) was to throw a little alpha in the hair to break up the strands at the end.. make the hair a bit tuffed.. and yeah.. i know there's a little clipping going on there.. hopefully it will look all right after i have him rigged an posed.. otherwise it will probably be best to just have the hair be covered like you said..

thanks for the crits :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    jmiles wrote: »
    there's actually a technique that i've seen on some people's low poly models.. the 500 or less group.. some kind of technique where the paint work looks purposefully pixelated.... and i'm not sure if it's just the low resolution they're using in their textures or if they put a last minute filter over the top of the texture.. but it makes it so that the renderer in Max can smooth out the texture.. and on top of that i just think it makes the paint work look cool.

It's not some special technique or a paint effect, it's just the fact that those textures are low-res. Also, to have low-res textures display crisp and pixely, you can just disable texure filtering in Max.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    ooh.. i never knew that.. cool.. i'll give that a look tonight
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    i havent changed anything just yet, but some people wanted to see wireframes.. so here's a quick screen shot

raziel04vo8.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a good start but a few tweaks and you could really have something.

- Make one finger longer then the other.
    - Dig up some muscle ref, the spine needs to look more spinal from the back,
    - It needs to be thicker and look more like vacuum sealed abs in the front.
    - The texture is kind of noisy.
    - Personally I would make the legs 5 sided cylinders with the flat edge at the back of the leg. The way it is now, the back of the knee has a good chance of poking through the front when it bends. With a flat edge that is less likely to happen.
    - The front of the knee might need 1-2 more loops to help hold its shape when its bent.

Keep at it, I think you could have something here =)
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    thanks Vig

i was wondering about that today as i started the beginning stages of his rig.. i'm trying to keep it fairly low poly, but if you say that will make the rig work better, i will take you up on it.. my goal initially was 1k.. but it didnt quite work out.. and i guess it doesnt really matter any more in this case.. the major goal of this project was to work on my texturing as well as build a solid rig... i'm learning some things about controllers and other advanced animation techniques because i'm pretty much a baby to it...

anyways.. here's an update to his texture.. i needed more color variation and a bit more grit

raziel05cl2.gif
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    awww my 2nd favorite vampire is vampirella :(
    I recall he was more sickly green back in the day than blue, great stuff man.
    I wouldn't be able to guess that the poly count is as low as it is with the way you have textured it, well done.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    yeah his skin gets more green when he fades into the spectral relm.. ask me how i know this.. i'm such a LOK junkie.. i even went as far as buying a new PS2, about a week ago now... so i could play through the games again... sweet sweet nostalgia...