Home Technical Talk

UT3 Lighting and Light Mapping

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
Trying to do some lighting tests with my chinatown scene [see -> here], and I'm running into problems.

First off I have no idea how to create any light except for the standard one you get from right clicking > actor > light, and I'm pretty sure there are other ones. That one is like an omni light in max and it sucks. Any tuts or instructions on lighting would be greatly appreciated. I know how to light scenes in general, but don't know how to do lighting in UT3.

Secondly, is light mapping in Ut3 based off your UVs, or does it do an automatic unwrap for you? Because if it doesn't, I have a lot of overlapping uvs and that could be a problem. On that note, I don't even know how to set up light maps, or edit them. I can't find it in any right clicks or menus. Basically I know nothing about light maps except what they do and that they are used in Ut3. :) Please help! Tutorials or instructions appreciated.

Replies

• Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Lightmapping is based off UVs.

Everything needs unique UVs. You can have UT3 do it but you got to tell the engine to do it in the model viewer. However it is probably not as effective as if you had done it yourself. Then you have to pick the correct UV set in the model viewer too for the lightmap. 0 is the first uv set I believe so it'd be 1 for you unless you have more than 2 uv sets.

as for tutorials hourences is the best source for most UT3 level editing.
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    As Kawe said, you need another UV set for your lightmaps, no overlapping there ofc.
    Unreal counts from 0, if you in max your lightmap-uv is channel 2, in UT it'll be 1.

Oh and you can find differnt types of lights by going to View-Browser Windows-Actor Classes.
    There you will find the 'Light' node. All of the lights are listed in there.