Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

low poly tree

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
i triying to model a tree which is looks realistic.i searched documents and maked this:
i maked my own texture but i cant take it volume appearance.. c&c
tree2is.jpg

Replies

• igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    and here is a simple scene with rocks i made :poly124:
    tree1is.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    your braches look flat because they are. You have all the alpha planes going the same direction. you have to make them intersect, some virtical, some horizontal. alpha plans are tough to make full looking.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    USE REFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of tree is that supposed to be? It sure looks like you were trying to make a pine tree but judging from your textures i would have to guess you have never seen one in your life.

If your going to spend the time to make a tree why not take the extra time and make a tree that looks like a real one. It will pay off in the long run.
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    As was already mentioned, the tree looks like a conifer (pine) tree, but you've got deciduous leaves on it. Conifers have needle-type leaves like this:
    http://updatecenter.britannica.com/eb/image?binaryId=95554&rendTypeId=4

Good reference for you, since these look to be like rather large trees, would be Redwood or Douglas Fir trees, and maybe Sequoia trees. Do some Google searches for some reference images. These tend to be more prominent in mountainous or northern environments, and your rocks suggest that this is that sort of setting, so that's good.

The model is decent, but if the player is going to be able to get close to them you might want to add some variation and interest to the lower part of the trunk. The branch textures should probably just be re-done after having check out some reference, since the leaves don't fit. Even if this was a Deciduous tree that had that kind of leaf, the way they are just dotted around the branch is not very realistic. The way the branches themselves are painted is also not really accurate.

Just check out some reference and pay attention to how the branches grow. As far as the 'volume' thing, I assume you mean the branches here. Since they are just planes, one thing you could do to add volume quickly and easilly would be to just split them down the center from trunk to tip and bring the outer edges down, creating a profile like this /\. A lot of these larger trees naturally have branches that look like that, anyway, so with a more accurate texture that would probably be all you'd need to fatten the branches up. It'll add a lot to the polycount, tho.