Home Technical Talk

problem in milkshape

I am working on a game and milkshape is the only good 3d modeler i could get but i have a problem when i tried to make a model of a mp5 idk what i'm doing wrong but if you can tell me how to fix it then that would be great, the real problem is on some parts of the gun i can't seem to find the face that is not filled in and it is only on the width of the gun but it's irritating me and the tutorial doesn't say anything about it. i really don't want to restart the model but if i have to i will but here's a screenshot of what i'm talking about.
gunproblemly4.png

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just use the 'face' tool to click-drag between verts and form a new face in the hole. Honestly though I wouldn't even bother learning Milkshape3d. If you need a free program for modeling try Blender.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well honestly i don't like blender because it has way too many options that i don't need and i figured it was better to learn from a low class program rather than learning with a program that will take alot of getting used to but i'm betting eventually when i do get better my projects might demand a better program with alot more features but thanks and i am thinking of just deleting these faces and starting from scratch because the poly count is over 1,000 already but i guess that's from being a noob and messing up so many times and making polys in the model instead of what you can get by with by what's outside.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Milkshape will limit abilities

Milkshape will limit abilities

repeat the above sentences 10 times

Working only with triangles in fixed 2d viewports (in $25+ software!) is not very fun.
    Parting with Milkshape was one of the best things i've ever did, and who says you need to click every button on the screen in Blender?

p.s. punctuation and full stops are cool things.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well who says i got it from the site? well my friend had it and didn't want it on his computer then i said hey i need to learn how to use that for my project to save work you know and so he put all of the needed files on a cd and gave it to me which means it's still registered to him lol well i just had to clarify that before someone said i pirated it. but really milkshape is all i need so :P but if you know any good tuts on things that are for beginners that go into full detail of the cahracter modeling process then chunk them here i will shift through them and put them on my site so they can help others.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well in case you change your mind about sticking to milkshape, here's a bunch of video tutorials on Blender to get you started.

edit: Here's some written tutorials too
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks i'll put them on my forum for those that come to it looking for tutorials i'll get a collection started on both milkshape and blender. But i wont be changing my mind anytime soon but thanks.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey don't knock Milkshape! It's great as a cheap alternative to Maya if you want to work on joints by editing already existing game meshes... but creating sophisticated models from scratch, well say good bye to your free time.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol well all i have is free time so i'm willing to learn but am learning fast weapons aren't as hard as people to create or "characters" since i'm still in highschool which i graduate next year btw i have some time to think of making a career out of it but i just might make it a hobby and then probably sell models on the web if i ever get good enough. But milkshape is easy to use and can export to the neoaxis demo which i'm thinking of going to get the non commercial sdk just to see if i can make a decent 1st person shooter lol.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Milkshape had is pros and cons. The pros it can import and export various models for various game engines. Also its good to work on if youre creating models for the DS or PSP. The cons are its one of clunkiest and buggiest program ive ever worked on. They really should tune up that interface.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    If you really want to learn without being utterly constrained by the software, change to another package. Really - it's like learning to texture in MS Paint when there are free alternatives like GIMP.

I also don't like Blender, but there are several other free packages. The one I'd recommend would most likely be the XSI mod tool:

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/

The Mod Tool plugs into all the major game engines and development frameworks for next-generation games, casual games, mods for existing titles and even Flash-based 3D games, including: People are not recommending that you drop Milkshape for no reason, it's because we believe that you are hampering your ability to learn. As we've mentioned, there are several better, free alternatives out there with a strong support base.

Start simple - don't attempt to make a character on Day 1. Crates and barrels are indeed boring, but simple enough to make whilst you learn the tools.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well idk if the modtool would be able to be used with the neoaxis sdk but if it does great i'll see if i can use it but i use photoshop cs3 for texturing and sig making, i know you all are trying to teach me better but i use dial up and so downloading programs aren't that easy lol another thing i need crates and stuff but i just can't seem to find any tutorials on milkshape because i guess not many people like to use it but i would like to have many things in my game maybe 100 items per small level which isn't that bad but i just had to go buy me a 256 mb vid card which it is a nvidia geforce 6200 0C and is quite good considering i upgraded from a 64mb and i would also like to keep the frame rate at a considerable pace so you wont get jerky gfx, I know your thinking this is crazy but if neoaxis ever gets the networking extension going i could get a server and play my game with friends ;) but i'll look into this xsi mod tool i've heard about it but i don't know anything about it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    XSI Mod Tool to Neoaxis
    http://games.kipase.com/static.php?page=xsimodtool_to_neoaxis

If you still don't want to ditch Milkshape...Milkshape is a fantastic import/export tool, right? Use that to your advantage. Trust me, if it's hundreds of small assets per level we're talking about, XSI's toolset will save you hours of work compared to if you tried to model everything in Milk. But I hear ya about the dialup... Wings3D and Roadkill would make a better modeling and unwrapping suite for you in that case (both free).

Anyway about your mesh, have you tried turning on backface culling and checking if the missing faces are actually there? If so then it should just be a case of flipping their normals. If I were you, I'd just delete the adjoining verts and reconstruct the geometry, just so you're sure it's clean.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i have done this about 3 times and i make my verts then i combine the faces to make the left side but this is where is screws up when i duplicate the faces and then extend it to make the model a 3d and then in the width some of the faces aren't there i'm about to get really frustrated i have blender downloaded finally lol and i'll try that out to see if i can't get an easier result but i'll keep milk if i do get accustomed to blender just because it has the exporter i need lol.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Could always export to .smd, import that in Milky and then export to... whatever.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if milk could import blender i was going to do that then export to ogre because that's what neoaxis uses.