Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – buttsahib

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone!
Well, as my first proper first post here on PC, i'd like to showcase my gameart folio.
2072,portfolioCCU60.jpg
Domain name is temporary.

Thought i should jump start the portfolio pimp threads :)
Generally, im looking for critique on the models as a whole.
Ill upload the textures/wires soon, this is just an image i made up for what the site will look like hopefully.Ill be uploading the stuff here in the thread if you guys dont mind :) cant afford a domain atm.
I still have shit loads of other props that i have worked ont whichill keep adding. Models on my Deviantart/wordpress account which i havent added; i reckoned they sucked too much.

About myself:-
-Self-taught
-Freelance artist (tho ive never landed a gig)
-Gameart hobbiest (tho i landed an interview as a sr.chrc modeller in one of the renound outsourcing studios in pakistan; just shows how sucky the standard here is)
-Medical student

THings im working on and will add to diversify my folio:
1- FPS rifle (selfmade concept)
2- Shard grenade
3- Crate
4- Lastly, a highpoly model of a creature out of doom universe-selfconcept; mines a redesign of the imp; will do everything in max

RIP ME APART :D
You can see the polycounts under the models. The models on the top are all 1024 each.

Thanks alot guys :)
Appreciate it :) Have always revered you guys. Have been looking up to you guys since i started way back when- think of you as gameart gods XD

Replies

• Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen that boxer somewhere...maybe on CGtalk forums?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that must be it.
    I used to frequent at cgtalk a long time ago. :)
    Maybe that or gameartisans (where i spend half my day)?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well butt my friend, you have dug yourself into a hole (a good hole though).

Take a look at your boxer, really really well executed, the normals are showing nicely, and the spec is nice... i WISH you would do something with that tattoo man, looks like you just pasted it on, blend it in more. But yuh, the quality of your boxer model is where your portfolio NEEDS to be, and there is no excuses... you did it once, and you can do it again.

Your newer work isn't as good man (to be brutally honest, but we've known each other for awhile, and you know I mean this with the best intentions for you buddy). For your space girl, instead of showing the low poly finished model (it isn't all that eye catching) show the high version instead, you spent much more time on the high then the low, and it paid off.

Now your new alien dude your working on, that has promise. The textures are looking pretty good, but man... YOU GOTTA make the textures with the same fidelity as your modeling.

Also, do not show any W.I.P's in your portfolio, or don't make it front page (or the first thing the viewer see's) either make a separate page, or put them down lower, having their own header or something (W.I.P section).

If you really wanna land a freelance gig (or in-studio job) you really gotta step up now buddy, and I KNOW you can, you've already proven it. I would take out The Strogg character, sub zero, razeil, the wheels (no clue what you're trying to demonstrate - try making a scene out of it with some more props) the jaxx character (until you are finished it, or have a solid Hi version) the alien character (just show the Hi version for now, its looking good) and switch the space girl low poly to high poly, it looks much better that way.

It only takes a few solid pieces to turn someones head man, and I'm telling you if you put in the effort, you'll get there!

PM me if you're looking for some freelance work as well Butt, I may be able to help.

You da man Butt, I know you can do this!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Overall your character stuff isn't too bad. You seem to have some varied characters, as well as a decent array of different types.

However

Your lighting and rendering and post work is ass. The FX around Ghostrider aren't even remotely passable. You aren't an FX artist. Either post add them in with Photoshop - or an FX within your engine of choice. But the FX you have attempted inside of your software package aren't cutting it.

You also don't have any sort of noticeable emissive coming off of the fire. I would expect to see some orange glow on that leather jacket of his.

The space girl with the condom-helmet needs work. Sometimes, whatever concept or idea we have for something just doesn't work out when you finally get it in 3d. Unless this gets some sort of ubar-awesome texture work, the helmet she has on isn't that good of an idea. The rest of the model (save some issues with the pants) is actually pretty darn good.

As far as the props you have - you have a lot more presentation issues. Unify the actual color / backdrop of each of the prop so you don't have these shitty cut-and-paste pieces. Either drop them all in the same scene, or render them out with an alpha map and crop them properly.

The toilet sucks. Needs more love with the spec / lighting to pass as porcelain.

The heads at the bottom aren't bad, but we don't need 8 renders of two heads, with half of the renders almost the same as the other half. I would completely remove them from that layout as well and separate what you consider "Finished" stuff and WIP stuff.

Overall your actual skill and ability look pretty solid. You really, really need to work on getting some better presentations and lighting. Getting some simple 3-point lights in there, shadows, emissives, and cleaning up the size / res of your renders and presentations could make your stuff look even better.

Don't forget how cutthroat and competitive the character artist side of things are. I'm not a character artist, but it would be good of you to dig around and ask to see what sort of portfolios and requirements someone at a current-gen studio are looking for their character artists.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HELLO JAY

I really do understand that the boxer is pretty nicely executed. I worked on the tattoo just abit; but if you still think it needs work, ill have to actually work on the texture itself
    Yeah thats what i totally expect for you-BRUTAL honesty Which will, in the end, be more beneficial for me than "hey thats awesome"
    Let me know what you dont like about the cosmo girl tho- i kinda like it :(
    I HOPE that you think the new noghri is upto my mark.
    Now, i REALLY need you to explain, WHY exactly do you think the grunt, raziel and subzero should go? I am completely open to things like "Redo the texture for the arms" etc for the grunt etc etc. What about the cosmo girl? if i get rid of the cellshading and work on a proper diffuse, do you think it would be upto the mark?
    I try to work on the portfolio layout thing defo, you can just think of this page as a temporary thingy to show my work straightout
    will definitely let ya know when im free for freelance. That would be totally cool

Thanks alot jay, really appreciate it Tis good to know theres someone looking out for you

Ott:
    Tanks for dropping by! Appreciate it
    I tried real hard to have as much a range of chrcs as i could
    Hope the fire is better now?
    Yeah i guess youre right about the cosmogirl, i kinda like it tho; dunno why everyone thinks it sucks Ill be adding an opacity map for it aswell
    The props and shit in my Deviantart pages which i havent includ in the main page of the folio will NOT be added. The toilet sucks yeh
    Not using the heads aswell as they were stated from Arsh base and i dont want anythign in my folio that i couldnt make from scratch again
    Ill def. give emissive maps a try mateyz
    Yeah the industry is REAL tough I miht be working on an envo piece like jason to open me up

Thank you VERY much ott

And thanks guys for checking me out
    Update on the top of the page

For Ott and Jason, i added in specular bloom, changed the layout, updated the portfolio page and generaly polished everything as much as i could
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    all your textures looks muddy